Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,439,458 times

Advertisements

without notifying the landlord. It also states only the lease signer/s are allowed to live in the unit--no subleases. The LL acts as if he's very strict, but really only cares when it effects him financially. He's on top of everything when he has an empty unit to rent, but doesn't want to be bothered for something that doesn't effect him.

When I resigned my lease, my landlord verbally promised he would not allow a woman and her 4 kids to move back in with her ex next door. I suspected that it was going to happen and sure enough... They're even louder than when they last lived here, which was a year ago. The space is just too small to accommodate 6 people.

My living room is essentially unusable for anything other than loudly watching tv most of the day. They bang on the walls, have their tv blaring, the kids cry, the couple fights, etc.

The legal tenant has moved out, and is letting her brother sub-lease. The brother was the tenant when I moved in 2 years ago, but has been in and out of prison ever since.

So, my landlord was annoyed I called and told him. I wasn't asking him to do anything, but he's told me in the past to keep him informed. And again, he did promise he wouldn't allow this situation.

To top it all off, the male is listed online as a child sex offender, and 3 of these kids aren't his biological children. I'm not sure what crime he's currently on parole for, but likely it's drug related.

I'm sure I could get out of my lease if I wanted to fight it, but it would be very costly since I plan on buying in 4-6 months. The legal tenant told me not to bring her complaints about her brother's activities but to take them to the landlord. The landlord told me to take them to the tenant even though she's not living here.

I guess I just have to deal with it, and spend my time in my bedroom... Any better suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited by Litlove71; 12-29-2012 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times
If he is registered, call the cops. The kids will be removed or he will.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-29-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,127,574 times
really? just being a reg so doesn't automatically mean that the person has a no-contact with children order.

However, for excessive noise complaints, the couple fighting, etc., you can call the police. For children's noise, music/tv during the day, you are basically out of luck.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
really? just being a reg so doesn't automatically mean that the person has a no-contact with children order.

However, for excessive noise complaints, the couple fighting, etc., you can call the police. For children's noise, music/tv during the day, you are basically out of luck.
I understand he might not have a no contact order, but I suspect he does. I was friendly with people in the household at different points, including him. Not this last parole violation, but the one before made no sense how they explained it, as well as other comments, and situations in the past. Once another neighbor told me that he was a registered sex offender things suddenly made sense.

If I suspected he was abusing one of the kids I'd report it in a heartbeat. I'm not happy about living next door to him, but I'm not sure my suspecting that he has a no contact order is a reasonable enough reason to notify his parole officer.

I've learned my lesson to check the registered sex offenders list before moving into a neighborhood in the future.

It's really unfortunate because I have some wonderful neighbors, and some in the neighborhood are just scary.

They've had domestic violence issues in the past, so it's not like there won't be opportunities to call the police. There was a 2 hr fight from 11pm-1am about a month ago. The fact that I used to be friendly with them complicates things.

One last thing, the neighbor that told me about his status also said my unit and the one on the other side were burglarized about a year before I moved in, and the contents were found in his house. In all honesty it wouldn't shock me if my landlord had allowed him to stay.

Last edited by Litlove71; 12-29-2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 03:42 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,408,915 times
A better suggestion is move as soon as you are able. This is a losing situation.

Call the police regularly if the noise is excessive and keep it up.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
A better suggestion is move as soon as you are able. This is a losing situation.

Call the police regularly if the noise is excessive and keep it up.
I have an offer in on a short sale but you know how that goes. There's just not much inventory right now where I want to buy, and I don't want to rush because of this situation.

My landlord is crazy. He acts like it's unreasonable for me to mention it! And has the nerve to call and ask for the rent early! I won't be paying early to accommodate him again.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,175,980 times
I think you are going to have to live with your mistake of resigning your lease.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think you are going to have to live with your mistake of resigning your lease.
I know.

My gut told me this would happen, even though it seemed very improbable.

The LL and the gf had a screaming match which is why she moved out in the first place. He laughed out loud when I asked about if he'd allow her back. No! No! No! And he had someone that wanted the unit that was very responsible, so he had no problem if they didn't resign. Blah, blah, blah...

I'm an idiot.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,408,915 times
Short sales can take months. I would try to find another place to rent month to month if that is possible in your location. (meaning, you don't have to sign a 6 month lease at first)

Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,366,175 times
So what if his sex offender status isn't no contact. Call the cops anyway, if his situation is OK, then you are no worse off than before. Also, he's probably up to no good anyway and the cops might notice that if they pay him a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting