Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 AM

471 posts, read 1,075,162 times

Advertisements

Full disclosure ... I am 49 years old, and prior to about 15 years ago, I had always rented apartments and town homes that were managed by big companies. They do the background and credit check ... I pay the deposit and rent, and I was good to go.

But I am now relocating from So Cal to the East Bay area and we have decided it will be smarter to rent than to buy. So, we found an adorable home with FABulous LL's who lived in the home for 10 years while they remodeled it. The current tenants have been there for 2 years, and they also were so warm and friendly.

We love absolutely everything about the house! It fits our needs (almost) to a tee! But, the back yard is ... well, a little trashy. Granted, we could live with it ... we know we are just renting, and not buying.

[More disclosure: we spent over $10K on landscaping on our current home. We love our outdoor living.]

So, (and I hope I'm not rambling) we want the back yard to be beautiful and lush while we live there. We don't mind spending a few bucks to update it a little and make it prettier.

Now to the question ...

Are we going to hurt their feeling if we ask if we can add some plants, maybe some fencing, at our own expense? Yes, I know this is a girly question, but I don't want to hurt their feelings .... if they think the back yard is just fine!

They have several rental properties in the area, as well in another state, so I know they are removed in some ways ... but, they at one time lived in this home and had children there. I'm just trying to figure out how to walk that fine line.

All input is welcome!

HUGz! Jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,438,638 times
My landlord encouraged gardening, but with things like fencing you'll likely need written permission since that's a semi permanent improvement, and you may have different taste, and they might not want it, period.

I'd just express that you're avid gardeners, and while you could participate at a community garden you'd be thrilled if they'd allow you to use the backyard. This way it sounds like it's your hobby, the truth, while not insulting them. You may want to discuss what's allowed and what's not. A high maintenance garden might be great for you, but when you leave will the next tenant want to maintain it.

You should be fine!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 AM

701 posts, read 1,692,797 times
Chances are permits are needed to put up a fence anyway, for which you'd need the landlord to fill out some forms with the town. So you'd have to talk to them about it (which as litlove says, would be best considering it's a much more permanent improvement).

Otherwise, I don't see why they'd mind. My landlord allowed me to have a raised bed garden at the house I rented. Before moving out I removed the bed, plants, and soil and put down grass seed early enough for the spot to grow grass again. Raised beds might be the way to go since they could be more easily removed and not be a concern for the next tenant.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,747,591 times
I've never had a landlord who didn't LOVE it that I wanted to improve the yard with plantings and such! Did put up a fence at one place with the permission of the LL and that wasn't a problem at all - I paid for it and LL was happy to agree since it better protected his investment. Have fun and may your green thumbs continue to flourish!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 AM

701 posts, read 1,692,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I've never had a landlord who didn't LOVE it that I wanted to improve the yard with plantings and such! Did put up a fence at one place with the permission of the LL and that wasn't a problem at all - I paid for it and LL was happy to agree since it better protected his investment. Have fun and may your green thumbs continue to flourish!
I wish my last landlord had allowed me to put up a fence. I offered to pay the whole cost to fence in a large area of the side and backyard, but he said no. I had a dog shake out of his collar and get hit by a car and die in August. To this day, I'm sure if I'd been able to put up a fence it wouldn't have happened. I won't rent or buy without a fence now.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,354 times
I wouldn't see any harm in with the planting some LL might actually encourage it! Not sure about the fencing.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,522,166 times
As a private landlord with one single family home as a rental, I can honestly say that I would LOVE a tenant to improve the yard and the fencing at their own cost. I would even pay for the permits for the fencing if they wanna buy it! lol. I have had all tenants to date, trash the yard and lawn. It makes me so sad, as I used to live in that house and its MY lawn they trashed. Yes, its personal, but in the fact that I would love a tenant that loved it as I did.

DO ask permission and input for anything though, things like trees may not be suitable for the property (invasive, will grow too large over time), there may be something buried that you don't know about, in my case I know there is a sprinkler system under there somewhere, and I will evict you if you plant a ficus. There is also a septic tank and drainfield.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,496,000 times
If the house is in a subdivision, be aware that in addition to permits, you may also have to clear the fence with the homeowner's association prior to installing it, and they may have limits on what kind and where it can go.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 AM

471 posts, read 1,075,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
I wish my last landlord had allowed me to put up a fence. I offered to pay the whole cost to fence in a large area of the side and backyard, but he said no. I had a dog shake out of his collar and get hit by a car and die in August. To this day, I'm sure if I'd been able to put up a fence it wouldn't have happened. I won't rent or buy without a fence now.
I am SO sorry about your dog!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
As a private landlord with one single family home as a rental, I can honestly say that I would LOVE a tenant to improve the yard and the fencing at their own cost. I would even pay for the permits for the fencing if they wanna buy it! lol. I have had all tenants to date, trash the yard and lawn. It makes me so sad, as I used to live in that house and its MY lawn they trashed. Yes, its personal, but in the fact that I would love a tenant that loved it as I did.

DO ask permission and input for anything though, things like trees may not be suitable for the property (invasive, will grow too large over time), there may be something buried that you don't know about, in my case I know there is a sprinkler system under there somewhere, and I will evict you if you plant a ficus. There is also a septic tank and drainfield.
I hope they feel the way you do!

Thanks to all of you for your input and things to think about!

HUGz! Jules

Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
You seem to already understand that anything you add must stay when you leave.

Personally, I love a tenant who will take care of the yard. I have no problems with flowers and veggies. I don't want any lawn taken up. Trees would have to be discussed and agreed to, and I might not want existing plants removed. I've always done the pruning and would want some serious assurances that the tenant knew how to prune before I agreed to allow it.

None of that means I don't want tenants to garden, but I've had decades of experience with tenants who let landscaping die, killed plants, and started gardens that never got finished so remained a big bare patch with the landscaping dug up.

Perhaps start small and let the landlord see that you follow up and do as you say you will and that you are keeping up with the mowing and watering.

All my nice landscaping has been replaced by very basic hard to kill stuff, and even that often looks pretty sorry because tenants generally refuse to take care of the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting