Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times

Advertisements

I was on Skyscraperpage.com, looking at all the new apartment building developments going on across the country today, and I was shocked to see pictures of apartment buildings, where there's one floor of concrete above the first floor, and up to 5 floors of wooden construction on top!

I thought this was illegal! I thought wooden apartment buildings could only go 3 stories, max!

I have such a terror of fires, always have had, and I can't possibly imagine myself getting a good night's sleep living on the top floor of one of these buildings, unless I had an extra-long knotted rope by my bedside, in case a fire broke out some night.

I've read of enough fires in apartment buildings in this city, over the years, people getting displaced in the middle of the night by a careless smoker, someone leaving the stove on, etc., and I currently live somewhere, to ease my fear of fires, in a townhouse with concrete walls on both sides. A unit burned out in my complex some time ago, and the fire was contained to that unit!

Perhaps they've got some new fireproofing advancements in these buildings I'm unaware of, but it scares me to death even look at these buildings under construction!

Would you feel safe living on the top floor of one of these buildings, or anywhere else in these buildings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:42 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Yes, it is a legitimate worry. Many fires are in rentals and very often they are in apartment buildings and several units will be burned. Watch the news and you will see that very clearly.

If a new building is wood over concrete, then it has passed inspection and is built to code. I would expect any new building to have fire escapes if they were over 3 stories tall. So fire escapes would be something to look for.

I suggest that you do not rent a unit in one of those buildings since they make you uncomfortable.

Would I rent a unit? No, I don't like my neighbors on a common wall or over my head, so personally, I won't rent any sort of apartment of any type of construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting