Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,105 times

Advertisements

I hope she keeps the tv down but if she starts up again, pick up a few area rugs. They'll help absorb some of the noise from her tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 04:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
It's been over a year since the OP last posted so hopefully she got it all sorted out.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:36 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
OP the only thing i can add to this is - you are doing everything fair and right, and just in case you ever wonder if you were being unreasonable - you are the perfect tenant. thats all i can think of to say about this. You have the patience of a saint and anyone who is your neighbor ought to count themselves very lucky or blessed to have a respectful person living in the building.

the only thing that comes to mind, come to think of it, the landlord seems like he likes to respect rules, right? You might have to think of a higher rule that he must adhere to, so he thinks his hands are tied? he thinks he is stuck with that woman? well if you can find a rule higher than that which he thinks he needs to obey, then you might have an edge. Find a higher rule that he must obey and you will have your answer. You have to be smarter than him, and find that thing that will trump his current way of thinking. or at least bluff as if you know some higher rule.. then see what he does. It happens in movies where the hero is stuck, and then comes up with a very clever bluff and then the hero wins an unwinnable situation. Remember the movie Speed where the hero outwitted the bad guy? You might have to think that way and come up with something clever.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
OP the only thing i can add to this is - ...
Good advice but as mentioned in the post prior to yours, the OP hasn't returned to the thread (or to CD forums period) in over a year.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 691 times
I have this exact issue except she is 90 something and lives upstairs so I can’t even retaliate or I sure as hell would! Not only do I have this tv all day every day issue, she intentionally uses the water on me when she hears my shower turn on and it scalds me it shocks me with ice water. AND she has a bird bath that dumps dirty bird water down onto my balcony 3 times per day. Strata and the family won’t do a damn thing. Unfortunately I bought this place and can not afford to buy and sell for a few years. Any advice is welcome!!

Old 05-13-2019, 06:59 PM

67 posts, read 63,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svaca_99 View Post
I have this exact issue except she is 90 something and lives upstairs so I can’t even retaliate or I sure as hell would! Not only do I have this tv all day every day issue, she intentionally uses the water on me when she hears my shower turn on and it scalds me it shocks me with ice water. AND she has a bird bath that dumps dirty bird water down onto my balcony 3 times per day. Strata and the family won’t do a damn thing. Unfortunately I bought this place and can not afford to buy and sell for a few years. Any advice is welcome!!
Buy her a pair of cordless headphones if she has a newer TV. Tell her what time of day you take a shower, give it a range of 2 hours tops and ask her not to run the shower at that time. Although, it might be from her flushing the toilet. I beleive there is an attachment that you can put on a shower head that helps to regulate water temperature. Go to a plumber or hardware store and ask for suggestions. About the water dripping, unstall gutters! Just around the edge that leaks onto your balcony.

I was in a situation where the family of 5 living above me in a two bedroom apartment were like an all day circus. It was unlivable. I offered to pay for carpeting for her apartment, I offered them money to switch apartments. I wore a cordless headset with videos and music playing all the time, but the family refsed everything. My daughter would room-hop trying to find some peace to do homework. I wrote letters to the owner, I had the maintenance guy who lives on site tell them repeatedly to stop banging. Nothing worked. Luckily, a family two doors over moved and I took their place. Now, I am happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting