Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 PM

11 posts, read 19,184 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My land lord gave me a 60 day notice saying that we needed vacate the property (Jan 9th 2013 being the last day). The notice clearly says under "Reason: No Reason". We paid November rent and I talked to the LL on the phone and reminded him that the last month was paid when we moved in. We paid 1st + last + dep. He said that we don't owe him anything if we are out by Jan 9th 2013.

He then filed a Unlawful Detainer Dec 24th (before the last day of his own notice). He never tried to contact us to rectify any issues, we found out when the notice came in the mail. He is saying that we didn't pay rent for the last month??!!

I filed an appeal and just want to see if I have a leg to stand on in court. DO I OWE THIS GUY ANYTHING?

Quote:
Lease states:
"first and last month installment in the amount of $2800"
I looked this up in the "California Tenates and Landlords Rights and Responsibilities"
Page 52 "ADVANCED PAYMENT OF LAST MONTHS RENT"

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf

Quote:
suppose that at the beginning of the tenancy, you gave the landlord a payment for the last month’s rent and for the security deposit, and that the lease or rental agreement labels part of this upfront payment “last month’s rent.” in this situation, you have paid the rent for your last month in the rental unit.

Last edited by itsmeblake; 02-11-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:51 PM

It seems that I have verbiage/language on my side because in my lease, the 1st + last month of rent was collected together as one single amount $2800 instead of $1400 1st and $1400 last.

Can the money be collected all together but used for 2 different things?? It seems to me that the whole $2800 would be applied to rent and not just half of it (seeing as how it was collected as the same payment).

I have to go to court wed and am stressing about this because it will make it hard to rent another house. Help me!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeblake View Post
I have to go to court wed and am stressing about this because it will make it hard to rent another house.
I'd be stressing too.
If you can't make your case in 2 or 3 paragraphs you won't make it in Court either.

You may even have a case but I'm not weeding through all that to look for it.
That's your job. You can be sure that LL can make his point in 3 sentences.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 PM

I can can prove that I paid rent for November and that December (last month) was paid upon signing the lease. I guess I don't understand the LL's case. Anyone know why he might be saying that rent is not paid?? Am I doing something wrong?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM

I modified the 1st post btw... please have a look

Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
My land lord gave me a 60 day notice... (Jan 9th 2013 being the last day).
We paid November rent....

Plus 60 days gets you to the move out date of Jan 1st plus a few days...

He then filed a Unlawful Detainer Dec 24th
He is (was?) saying that we didn't pay rent for the last month??
And now it's February 11th... are you still there?
Hint: you shouldn't be.

Otherwise... what's the beef?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Eventually, the Sheriff will knock on the door and you will be removed...

The only question is how long will the process take.

I live in a jurisdiction with rent control so I must use one of the approved reasons if I want to terminate a tenancy.

I also never ever collect or reference any money held as Last Month's Rent. It is a very easy mistake for a new landlord to make...

So what do you want to do?

You realize an eviction will greatly limit your options regarding future rentals?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM

I have not even gone to trial yet.... why would the Sheriff come now? It seems to me that the Judge may rule in my favor. I guess I'm just trying to get some insight as to why a LL would file an unlawful detainer BEFORE the end of the 60 day notice if he has been paid for all 60 days???

I moved out well before Jan 9th and currently have a lease at a whole new property. I really don't have the time or money to entertain this further.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
I have not even gone to trial yet.... why would the Sheriff come now? It seems to me that the Judge may rule in my favor. I guess I'm just trying to get some insight as to why a LL would file an unlawful detainer BEFORE the end of the 60 day notice if he has been paid for all 60 days???

I moved out well before Jan 9th and currently have a lease at a whole new property. I really don't have the time or money to entertain this further.

It's a process... could take weeks or months.

Is the landlord using a lawyer or going it alone? There is a lot to know being a Residential Landlord in California. Could be the Landlord has made a procedural mistake... even though the intent seems clear.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM

The LL always CC's a lawyer on everything, but I have never been able to get in contact with and my brothers lawyer was not able to find the this so called lawyer's Bar number.

LL filed the POS "Proof of Service" when the document clearly states that a 3rd party has to do it. I would think this would have been done by the lawyer if he had one.

He also states that POS was served in person, this is not true. He served this via mail... I live at a new address that he dose not have and I have not met with the LL in well over 6 months. I just happened to go by the old house to check the mail sometimes (thinking it was still my house till Jan 9th).

Last edited by itsmeblake; 02-12-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting