Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 17,102 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am subleasing a room in a house from the tenant- she thinks she has renter's insurance- I've asked her if her policy covers me. Even if she does have renter's insurance (I'm thinking she would have to per landlord's lease), is it recommended to get my own? I'm thinking I would like to, just for my own protection. I had purchased it before from Assurant but they do not offer it to subleasers.

I googled and cannot find resource that lists insurance for subleasers, only renters. Where can I purchase it from?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
I would not rely on the tenant's vague assurances -- she thinks she has renter's insurance, she thinks it may cover you ... If I were you I would buy renter's insurance to cover my own belongings and to protect myself from liability claims. It's usually inexpensive.

I don't believe there is such a thing as subtenant's insurance. I think you just buy your own policy of renter's insurance. AFAIK you just give the insurance company some proof that you're renting from the tenant.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:49 PM

13 posts, read 26,536 times
Get your own insurance. Even if the tenant has insurance, since you are not listed on that insurance, they likely won't cover your items, just the tenant's. On top of that, if her insurance lapses and the place just randomly exploded, you'd be completely out of luck.

It's really cheap, my girlfriend and I pay about $115 a year for $20,000 of personal property coverage, $100,000 of liability coverage, and a $250 deductible. That's less than $10 a month, and we actually upped the personal property coverage amount, so it could be even cheaper! Don't cheap out: if you do, you'll kick yourself in the butt later if something happens.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:12 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Yes get your own, just search online for a company. You could also try your car insurance company to see if they also do other types of insurance.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Sounds like Your Renting a room! Get insurance!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,763 times
Not to piggyback but I can't help reinforcing this, GET INSURANCE. The other person's policy does not cover your personal property. You need to get it to cover your personal property but more importantly, your personal liability. No one plans to be neglectful but I can assure you it is best to have it in the event you are found at fault for any claims. Be sure to get quotes from a few different companies and carry at least $100,000 in personal liability coverage. You can get that for around $100-$150 for the year. The cost of a pizza per month!

Old 03-12-2013, 03:56 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
Get insurance. When we lived with my mother and were paying rent, her homeowner's insurance was really sketchy on if they covered our possessions or not. So we kept the insurance that we had before.

I've used eSurance, Unitrin, and Travelers. I like Travelers the best and have had them for 3 years now.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
I second, or is this third, get rental insurance, however you need to make sure that your rental is legal in every way, shape and form. If not, you probably wont' get insurance and that's not a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting