Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 AM

218 posts, read 775,071 times

Advertisements

Question for you - I have to decline an application that wanted to rent my place.

Bottom line - the one picked has excellent credit (they sent a current credit with their application).

Number 2 - not as good credit.

So my question is - I want to write an email just telling them that the unit has been rented and thanks and all that. I want to keep it very short. I don't need more explanation, right? I have a feeling Number 2 won't go quietly.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
I was a landlord for many years, and never once felt the need to tell an applicant that their application was "declined". If you already told them you would notify them either way, just do it and say "sorry but the unit has been leased". If not, don't bother - they will figure it out.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
dont reply to the one you dont want .. a simple .. sorry its been rented is enough you do not owe them a reason..
I used to get folks who would demand a reason and I would smile and say .. credit scores .. they know that their scores arent up to snuff so thats all it should take

HOWEVER
I see the other couple SENT you a copy of their report? ummm better you run one yourself .. just to be on the safe side

Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,430 times
Many LLs on CD have mentioned a CR supplied by the applicant could be faked and is not safe, unless they've given you access to log in online (which frankly is stupid IMO of the applicant to do.)

Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 AM

Yes, I'm going to run it (for the good one).

The other people were upfront about their credit and asked me not to run it until I was sure I wanted them . I told them I wouldn't but I'm thinking I have to in order to have a legitimate reason not to pick them.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
Yes, I'm going to run it (for the good one).

The other people were upfront about their credit and asked me not to run it until I was sure I wanted them . I told them I wouldn't but I'm thinking I have to in order to have a legitimate reason not to pick them.
Your 'legitimate' reason is you decided the other applicant was the better choice.(not that you have to tell them that)
You can just let them know you rented it to someone else first and so did not have to run their report.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM

Yes, I will write a short email saying that the place has been rented and thank you.

They know that they are one of the 2 people that it boils down to - blame my blabbermouth mother-in-law that was supposed to stay in the car when I was showing them the place - ugh!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You are not legally bound by what your mother-in-law says, unless she is your representative.

I just say "I'm sorry, but I will not be able to rent to you. I wish you the best of luck with finding a place". The only time you must give them a reason is when you reject for the credit report, and you didn't run a credit report.

If they persist, I tell them that they didn't meet my written criteria that I apply to all applicants. You do have a written criteria, don't you? Save yourself some grief and have it available for applicants to look at before they apply.

It's not a social call. Don't stay on the phone. Tell them they aren't accepted and get off the phone. You don't sit there waiting for their response and talking until they seem to be satisfied.

I try not to put anything in writing with applicant and if you must put anything in writing, be extremely careful, because it might appear in court some day. If I end up in court, I would prefer that the rental agreement be the only thing in writing to be presented.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 02-25-2013 at 11:07 AM..

Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Another thing. Don't promise to not run credit reports. If they don't want theirs run, then tell them that you can not process their application without running the credit report.

I will tell them that I will run the credit nearly last, but that by that time I will have a couple of hours into their screening so there won't be a refund. I always run the credit report near the end because it costs me money. If it is clear I am going to reject, I don't pay to run it.

I am not done once the credit report is run. I still have to check prior addresses on their credit report against the prior addresses that applicant gave me and might have some more landlords to locate and talk to. So the credit report is not the very last thing to do.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:25 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Just because your blabbermouth MIL said it was down to 2 people...it doesnt mean you must pick between those 2 people. You might decide neither pass your criteria and then you wait for someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting