Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,048 times

Advertisements

I could really use some advice. I paid deposit and signed a year lease. The old tenants are moving so slow my lease starts today and they still have not left. What are my options as the new legal tenant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Contact your landlord IMMEDIATELY. See if he would be willing to amend the lease to change your move in- date, otherwise you're technically paying for the other tenants rent. Let your LL take it up with the tenants and come to some arrangement suitable to all of you.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Perhaps best to have the lease cancelled and get your money back. If the landlord is having to legally evict the overstay tenants, it could be awhile.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,741 times
I have paid a $1,500 deposit to hold a Townhouse, however due to emergency surgery I couldn't keep my original move in date so I asked if I could change it I was advised no and i loose my deposit I still want to move in, but just after the orignal date i specified does that mean the landlord can keep my deposit?

Old 08-21-2014, 04:42 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NClarke1 View Post
I have paid a $1,500 deposit to hold a Townhouse, however due to emergency surgery I couldn't keep my original move in date so I asked if I could change it I was advised no and i loose my deposit I still want to move in, but just after the orignal date i specified does that mean the landlord can keep my deposit?
You need to talk to the landlord. If what you paid was a holding deposit then that would usually be applied towards your first month's rent but if you didn't move in for whatever reason you would lose some of it to cover the LL's expense of re-advertising. You'll find your state landlord laws linked in the first "sticky" on this forum so check them to see what they say about holding deposits. If you still want the place you need to sign the lease (if you haven't already done so) and pay your rent from the move-in date already agreed upon. Without more details it's hard to advise you but check your state's laws and then discuss it with the LL without further delay. Good luck, and good wishes for a speedy recovery.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:31 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
How long before you want to move in? If you are planning on paying rent starting today, it shouldn't be that big a deal although I think it's reasonable for a landlord to not want the unit to sit vacant for an extended time even if rent is being paid. But if it's just a week or two, it's more like being away on vacation. When you asked to change your move in date, do you mean you wanted your lease start date to change so that the landlord would be losing rent on a unit that was supposed to be rented?

Old 03-18-2015, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,244 times
hi my name is mary i put some money on a house that i realize i couldn't afford then i inform the landlord about this and now he don't want to return my money what sure i do?

Old 03-18-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcross23 View Post
hi my name is mary i put some money on a house that i realize i couldn't afford then i inform the landlord about this and now he don't want to return my money what sure i do?
If what you paid was a holding deposit then that would usually be applied towards your first month's rent but, when you change your mind, you forfeit that deposit to cover the LL's expense of re-advertising and finding a new tenant. You'll find your state landlord laws linked in the first "sticky" on this forum so check them to see what they say about holding deposits.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:56 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvidamomma View Post
I could really use some advice. I paid deposit and signed a year lease. The old tenants are moving so slow my lease starts today and they still have not left. What are my options as the new legal tenant?
Your lease can be cancelled. Since the LL does nit have the property ready you can ask to get your money refunded. It's the LL responsibility to have the unit ready. Unless some unforeseen disaster makes the LL incapable of delivering the property in move in condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NClarke1 View Post
You can move in anytime you want as long as you're paying the rent. Once you agree to lease terms as long as you pay the monthly rent you don't even have to move in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcross23 View Post
You're breaking the lease and are bound to the terms. So whatever terms there are for termination of lease apply. So mitigation or fulfill lease terms. Basically whatever your state and lease say is legally applicable.
But you most likely won't see your 1st month rent, and depending on your state kaw your security deposit may be lost also and you may be liable for more rent.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:10 PM

Cheese 'n' bread E4U, the first two posts you responded to were old (2 years the first and 7 months the second) and the latest poster didn't say she signed a lease but, "put some money on a house" which indicates more a holding deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting