Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 AM

396 posts, read 1,852,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Next best thing is to see if you can move to a different unit in the complex.
The kids play all over the complex and would easily notice me/my car in another unit.

I'm doing my best to ignore the knocks for now. It's not occuring everyday, but about every other day. Just hope the ignored knocking doesn't escalate into them damaging my car to get a reaction or attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
UPDATE:

Since my OP about 11 days ago, I haven't seen the kids or interacted with them (they no longer hang out in front). However, a passive-aggressive thing is happening: Every couple of days, there is a faint knocking on my door, and I can hear kid-footsteps runaway immediately. I don't open the door, I don't look-out the window, and I don't give them any kind of direct pay-off.

This knocking doesn't bother me. So, I let them think that they 'got me.' I don't feel like chasing after kids -- that's the kind of attention they seem to want. Anger or tattling on them may make them escalate their pranks to other things that could really affect me: letting air of my car tire at night (late for work), break my window with a rock, etc. However, the passive approach doesn't seem to be discouraging the kids.

Should I continue to ignore the kid knocks on my door?

As already suggested, go talk to the manager. They will contact the parents. You can talk to the parents till you're blue in the face, but they do anything until forced to do something. So talk to you leasing manager.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
The kids play all over the complex and would easily notice me/my car in another unit.

I'm doing my best to ignore the knocks for now. It's not occuring everyday, but about every other day. Just hope the ignored knocking doesn't escalate into them damaging my car to get a reaction or attention.

They're children, not stalkers.

Summer is right around the corner and these kids will home 24/7...if their behavior bothers you this much, do something about it.

Talk to the manger, today and tell them what's been going on. Let them deal with the parents....like I said, you can try talking to the parents, but why put a target on your back? The manager won't tell them who made the complaint and who knows, they might be bothering other neighbors as well.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:18 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,105 times
If you can catch them, take video. I had a kid that was escalating behavior towards me and my dog, and I was advised in the dog forum to video when I walk her--it worked like a charm. I just use my phone, and video pointed towards my dog. If you're walking past them outside, it might make a good deterrent or you might end up with evidence.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 AM

396 posts, read 1,852,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
If you can catch them, take video. I had a kid that was escalating behavior towards me and my dog, and I was advised in the dog forum to video when I walk her--it worked like a charm. I just use my phone, and video pointed towards my dog. If you're walking past them outside, it might make a good deterrent or you might end up with evidence.
Sounds like this really worked for you. In my case: Since the kids are girls (and I'm a man), I'd come off as creepy if I'm seen filming them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Talk to the manger, today and tell them what's been going on. Let them deal with the parents....
Their knocking & running away isn't a big deal to me. I've ignored this knocking three times now. I prefer their knocking to the girls standing in front of my window making faces (this behavior stopped).

I'm just wondering if ignoring the knocking will extinguish this behavior too, or could ignoring the knocking escalate the situation?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,601 times
They are kids. Unless they are damaging property or directly harming you they are not doing anything wrong. If you dont like the noise or being bothered or desire private property that doesnt exist in a common area establishment (ie:apartment complex) buy or rent a home.
You live in an apartment complex. Noise and high traffic areas are a part of apartment lifestyle

Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,325 times
If they’re not your kids, and the behavior is not seriously irritating/dangerous/illegal/you know what I mean, I’m inclined to ignore it. I agree with a previous poster – while even attentive parents generally don’t know everything their young kids are doing during every waking hour, the repeated behaviors of these kids make it seem likely to me that there’s not too much supervision at home. Talking to the parents would likely only irritate the parents and make behavior worse. Kids like to do stuff like this for the reaction that they get – if they don’t get a reaction, it soon becomes boring.

Of course, if this escalates into something else OR if they’re still doing this a couple weeks from now, my response would be different, and it would be to talk to the landlord/property manager. But for right now? If it’s not really bothering you, I’d ignore it entirely and see if they stop. My guess is that they will.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:19 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,105 times
OP having my phone out with record on was enough, I didn't need to direct it at them.

The fact that you're a man makes me think their parents should be notified actually. What if they go knocking on a Sex Offender's door?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 AM

62 posts, read 109,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
They are kids. Unless they are damaging property or directly harming you they are not doing anything wrong. If you dont like the noise or being bothered or desire private property that doesnt exist in a common area establishment (ie:apartment complex) buy or rent a home.
You live in an apartment complex. Noise and high traffic areas are a part of apartment lifestyle
I'm glad somebody said it. Hell, it's a positive thing to me that they're outside playing and not stuck behind a TV playing video games all day.

I'm not sure what people EXPECT kids to do these days. Unless their parents take them somewhere to play, they are pretty much stuck at the complex. It's not safe for kids to go off by themselves to play like it used to be.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
It's not safe for kids to go off by themselves to play.
that's exactly what they are doing in a complex unless they have parents with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting