Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,984 times

Advertisements

I bought a house (townhome) from the bank, no keys for the door, no key for mail box. The post office charge me $25 to have the key, the front door cost me $100 locksmith to just open, plus $59 to change the door lock. Much money, fees, service... also change my drive license address, cost me $35. Pay for everything in this planet!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,940 times
Hi,

My Apt Manager told me to get the key from USPS, but they agreed to reimburse the fee after the payment. I think if you return the mail-box key to the Apt Manager when you are moving out from apt/house, they should reimburse the USPS fee. In all the previous cases, I get the mail-box key for free from my landlord and never paid the fee.

Thanks
------
Emran
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Old 12-21-2014, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,308 times
There is no mail delivery in my town so by federal law the closest post office has to supply me with a postal box for free. If there are surrounding towns willing to deliver your mail then this doesn't apply.

In my case it applies, I am entitled to a free mailbox.

my question is: If USPS has to supply me a postal box, why do I have to pay for the keys to open my free mailbox supplied by USPS?

Old 12-21-2014, 05:43 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
Because the law requires them to supply you with a mailbox...not key. Are you sure that this is not just a key "deposit"?

Old 12-22-2014, 05:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,308 times
Yes, I think they are referring to it as a key deposit for $6. If they supply a box at no cost, shouldn't they supply a key to get into that box at no cost?

Old 12-22-2014, 06:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhag44 View Post
Yes, I think they are referring to it as a key deposit for $6. If they supply a box at no cost, shouldn't they supply a key to get into that box at no cost?
Count your blessings! Like many others where I live I don't have home mail delivery and I pay well over $100 a year for my USPS mailbox which is in a PO 15 minutes drive away from me. The key is included in the annual fee but if I lose or misplace it there's a $25 replacement charge! In comparison you have a real deal!

Old 07-18-2018, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,596 times
I have been invited and gone to places that offer reasonable rent and pd up to$30.00 fee to apply and told there were income requirements and they said thank you for $30.00, a credit and history report they paid 10cents for thanks for being interested in living here but you wont. They do this depending where in the country they are and allowed to keep doing it to mostly lower income people or limited income. Congrats for being able to move in. Sorry they didnt explain the cost before then. Companies who send junk unwanted mail should pay more to do it. Post offices cannot be involved in not delivering to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting