Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:48 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
All of that will have to happen which means I probably won't be able to move in June 1st. Well if I can get the keys on the 28th I will let them know that I will want the placed cleaned and painted before I move in.

Now I am thinking I should change the furniture delivery date until 5/30 which will allow him to get the place ready on 5/29
May has 31 days. How would you feel if your current landlord gave the keys to your apartment to a new tenant on 5/28 knowing your lease ended on 5/31? Let's say their moving van pulled up in front of your door the morning of 5/28, you'd be pissed, right? If you wanted the place cleaned and painted you should have stated that in the rental agreement, other wise the apartment just needs to be broom swept.

Hey, if we read about a guy sacked out next to the Liberty Bell, and chasing away tourists, "because his sofa bed goes in that corner," we will know you didn't get into the apartment.

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 05-18-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 10:07 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
All of that will have to happen which means I probably won't be able to move in June 1st. Well if I can get the keys on the 28th I will let them know that I will want the placed cleaned and painted before I move in.

Now I am thinking I should change the furniture delivery date until 5/30 which will allow him to get the place ready on 5/29

I'm mystified as to why you think you can rent a place starting June 1st and yet get possession and move your furniture in before that. If your lease says it starts June 1st, you get the place on the 1st day of June.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:10 AM

870 posts, read 1,570,060 times
Now the lease starts on 6/1, correct? I can understand getting the utlilities in your name before 6/1, but I don't expect to have my belongings in the apartment before the lease starts. Even if the tenant was suppose to be out by May 15, unless you pay for the extra days, you are not entitled to place until 6/1.

It might have been better to select a vacant unit and move in mid-May and pay the extra month.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:36 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Shouldn't tenants be better prepared financially before they move? Shouldn't tenants have enough sense not to buy furniture until they've actually moved into their new place? Shouldn't tenants have enough sense to know that you need more than 24 hrs to turn over a rental?

You were warned about this unit and this landlord....oh, well.

When I moved in I wanted the bed/sofa to already be in there since I had no intentions on laying on the floor. So that's why I purchased yesterday so It would be delivered by the 31st.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
May has 31 days. How would you feel if your current landlord gave the keys to your apartment to a new tenant on 5/28 knowing your lease ended on 5/31? Let's say their moving van pulled up in front of your door the morning of 5/28, you'd be pissed, right? If you wanted the place cleaned and painted you should have stated that in the rental agreement, other wise the apartment just needs to be broom swept.

Hey, if we read about a guy sacked out next to the Liberty Bell, and chasing away tourists, "because his sofa bed goes in that corner," we will know you didn't get into the apartment.

He said she is moving the 25th which is next saturday and that I will have the keys on the 28th

Old 05-18-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm mystified as to why you think you can rent a place starting June 1st and yet get possession and move your furniture in before that. If your lease says it starts June 1st, you get the place on the 1st day of June.

It was all because he told me originally she was leaving on 5/15. So something changed and now it's 5/25.

That's the only date I had in my head for 4 weeks........"5/15" and actually scheduled Comcast to come set up cable today which I had to cancel and rescheduled for 5/30.

I made plans based on the original date he told me she was leaving.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Now the lease starts on 6/1, correct? I can understand getting the utlilities in your name before 6/1, but I don't expect to have my belongings in the apartment before the lease starts. Even if the tenant was suppose to be out by May 15, unless you pay for the extra days, you are not entitled to place until 6/1.

It might have been better to select a vacant unit and move in mid-May and pay the extra month.

I understand what you are saying but I thought I was getting the keys on 5/17. So that I figured I could move in my stuff the week of Memorial day.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:59 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
Generally, you get your keys the day the lease starts. Prior to that date, you don't 'own' the space. If you want access to the space for a week or two before your current lease expires, to facilitate moving, cable/gas hookup, etc, you arrange to have your new lease start sooner and effectively pay rent on 2 places for a brief time. Or you keep your old apartment for a week extra.

Think of it this way, f you were renting a hotel room from June 1 thru June 10, the hotel wouldn't let you have access to the room on May 18th so you cold bring your suitcases in, unpack a bit, etc. they wouldn't let you have access to the room until June 1st.

Every time I've made a local move, I've kept my old place for a least a week after the new lease began. This gives me a buffer of time to move, and I'm covered in case:

- the current occupant of the new place moves out a day or two later than their lease
- the movers cancel (I've had this happen, and was scrambling, 4th of July weekend, to find another moving company)
- new landlord winds up having to do a lot more repair to the apartment than expected

Old 05-18-2013, 12:21 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying but I thought I was getting the keys on 5/17. So that I figured I could move in my stuff the week of Memorial day.
Unless you want to prorate your rent for 1/2 of May, you don't get the keys until the first day of your lease agreement, which is June 1ST.

Also, sofa beds are uncomfortable to sit on, and can be downright painful to use as a bed. If you are planning to use a sofa bed as your primary bed, I'd suggest you purchase a better mattress, or you'll never get a good nights rest.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Generally, you get your keys the day the lease starts. Prior to that date, you don't 'own' the space. If you want access to the space for a week or two before your current lease expires, to facilitate moving, cable/gas hookup, etc, you arrange to have your new lease start sooner and effectively pay rent on 2 places for a brief time. Or you keep your old apartment for a week extra.

Think of it this way, f you were renting a hotel room from June 1 thru June 10, the hotel wouldn't let you have access to the room on May 18th so you cold bring your suitcases in, unpack a bit, etc. they wouldn't let you have access to the room until June 1st.

Every time I've made a local move, I've kept my old place for a least a week after the new lease began. This gives me a buffer of time to move, and I'm covered in case:

- the current occupant of the new place moves out a day or two later than their lease
- the movers cancel (I've had this happen, and was scrambling, 4th of July weekend, to find another moving company)
- new landlord winds up having to do a lot more repair to the apartment than expected

How would I be able to do that and my lease ends 5/31?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting