Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,455 times

Advertisements

Hello, i have a problem. i have paid my rent in full by way of a money order. My landlord says he never got the money order and has given me a three day notice. Ive checked with money gram and they said the money order was cashed on july 5 2013. but there will be a fee to see who cashed the check. is there anything i can do to stop any further action from my landlord being ive already paid rent for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 PM

38 posts, read 125,735 times
Ugh, that's a real bummer. First off, I would try to reason with your landlord. They're running a business & if they took everyone's word for it who say the paid but somehow they didn't get it, they'd be broke. If you've never been late before and ask them to give you a few extra days to resolve it--instead of reacting like you're the victim, you probably have a better chance. Try to see it from their perspective, you have a legal contract that says they'll let you live there in exchange for a monthly payment. Regardless of the reason, if they don't get their money its your problem not their's. If they won't work with you, you'll need to borrow the money if you don't have the money to pay it. Unfortunately, the way that money orders are set-up, it only protects the recipient not the payor. The only way you're going to get to the bottom of it, you'll have to pay the fee to MoneyGram to have the cancelled money order pulled. Its unfortunate that you need to pay to prove you paid, but its cheaper than moving & pretty much no one will rent to you again after an eviction so, in the end, the actual cost is far more. If someone else cashed it, you'll need to file a report with MoneyGram to see if you can recoup the money. On the other hand, there is the chance that the bookkeeper in your landlord's office posted it to the wrong account. If that happens, I think its reasonable to expect them to reimburse you for the tracing fee. Just make sure from here on out, do all communication in writing, including when you're following up with MoneyGram.

And even though its too little, too late for your situation, this is a good reminder for all of us that rent. Its .80¢ for delivery confirmation, about $2.00 for registered mail which requires someone sign for it & you have proof of who signed it and where it was delivered. I think I'll do that from now on, just to be safe. Sorry you have to deal with this. No fun.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:36 PM

111 posts, read 328,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toisherri View Post
Hello, i have a problem. i have paid my rent in full by way of a money order. My landlord says he never got the money order and has given me a three day notice. Ive checked with money gram and they said the money order was cashed on july 5 2013. but there will be a fee to see who cashed the check. is there anything i can do to stop any further action from my landlord being ive already paid rent for
This is why I dont use money orders anymore. Had the exact same thing happen, but with my car payment. I was out $300.00 Yeah, I paid moneygram/western union the fee to find out who cashed it, but it was just a name, a common name too, and of course the bank had no idea who it was. I suspect someone got a hold of the mail at some point, took the m/o and altered it and cashed it.

If your landlord wont take a personal check, use a cashiers check, they are more safe than money orders

I would do what the last poster said and get a copy of the money order and give that to the landlord and explain what happened.

All depends on how your landlord is. I have dealt with some nasty as hell ones before.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,836,698 times
Quote:

I am confused but don't most landlords contact you to see if a check got lost for example before giving you a notice to vacate? Has this happened before where you were late on rent payment? I would call your landlord because I would think if this is the first issue that they would give you some time to clear up what happened. In my opinion also though it is aggravating I would rather pay the fee to see who cashed the check then be out the whole rent payment.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,063,383 times
Quote:

Pay the fee to copy of the cashed money order to see who cashed the money order ( if it was out to your landlord, then HE cashed it)

I think it's odd that he would give you a three day notice this quickly...that's not the norm.

Talk to your landlord and tell him what Money Gram said and that you're going to get a copy of the cashed MO.

You also need to get the rent paid for this month, as well as any late fees, to get him off your back. Write something up saying that this payment is to cover the lost payment and if the lost payment shows up, this payment will be applied to next months rent. Have him sign it and each of you get a copy.

From now on pay your rent using a cashier's check from your bank and mail it with delivery confirmation.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:40 AM

34,128 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Hello, i have a problem. i have paid my rent in full by way of a money order.
My landlord says he never got the money order and has given me a three day notice.

Ive checked with money gram and they said the money order was cashed on july 5 2013.
but there will be a fee to see who cashed the check.
I bet that fee will cost less than moving.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,525,935 times
If the money order was made out to the landlord, then the landlord would have to be the.one that cashes it. At least that's how it works with postal money orders. You should never send a blank money order.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,132,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I am confused but don't most landlords contact you to see if a check got lost for example before giving you a notice to vacate? Has this happened before where you were late on rent payment? I would call your landlord because I would think if this is the first issue that they would give you some time to clear up what happened. In my opinion also though it is aggravating I would rather pay the fee to see who cashed the check then be out the whole rent payment.
A 3 day notice is to "pay or quit" - meaning pay me now or be prepared to get out. It is not a notice to vacate/eviction notice.

OP, get a checking account and pay by personal check or see if your landlord will accept a credit card, online payment.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,570,852 times
The landlord gave you until the middle of the month before he gave you a 3 day notice. Could have done it right away.

Pay the fee, obviously. If you can prove he cashed it, you're done. If not, you need to come up with the rent again.

Get a signed receipt whenever you pay, or as someone else said, pay online. Another option is to use your bank's billpay online option. Would be cheaper/easier to track down who cashed a check, too.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,683,450 times
Quote:
You will without a doubt have to pay a fee to see who cashed it. And if it was the landlord I would confront him and possibly see if you can press charges. If it was your landlord who cashed it you should also try and collect the fee from your landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting