Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:50 PM

11 posts, read 22,045 times

Advertisements

A few facts:

-I am 1st listed on lease.
-She is my co-applicant.
-We paid a $300 deposit ($150 each).
-When we signed our intent to vacate, we agreed to have the deposit forwarded to my address and I would divvy it up. The paper is signed and dated by both of us with my forwarding address.

Our move out date was July 22. I received an email from her on July 7th stating that she had moved out on the 6th and would be leaving the country on the 15th and she trusts me to handle everything with the move-out inspection etc. Even though she moved out, she did pay her full rent due. I am grateful for this.

Before she left the country, we had a pre-move-out inspection. They were planning to charge $250 if we chose not to clean, and $75 for the decals she left on the wall. She saw this list prior to leaving the country and had adequate time to come clean her half and take her decals down. I also have proof of asking her via email 5 times for her forwarding address so I could send her half, but she never provided me with it. At 8pm on July 14th (she was leaving the country early next morning) I came home to my apartment expecting half to be cleaned and her decal to be down. It was clear she had been there - her 1 final small box was gone and her food was taken out of the fridge - but nothing was cleaned. I assumed she was ok with the $325 charge ($25 more than our deposit - so our apt complex would be charging us). Half of the cleaning fee plus the decal cleaning fee was more than her half. So I decided i'd save her being charged that extra $25 and i'd clean everything myself and keep the deposit. I spent all evening cleaning, scrubbed the fridge and freezer, used mr clean erasers on the doors and walls.

I send her an email that night (just before she left the country) and informed her of the charges. Then exclaimed that i'd busted my butt cleaning and removing decals etc. So she would not be receiving any deposit back - but she ALSO isn't going to have the leasing dept. coming after her for the additional amount.

Fast forward a few weeks, we are getting the deposit sent to me, and she's threatening to sue me for her measly $150 half. I've been banking on having this money for weeks. I have email proof she moved out on the 6th. and that she was leaving on the 15th. she is claiming that she had planned to come around midnight the night before she left the country to clean and I didn't even give her the chance. SHe also claims that she left on the 6th and wasnt able to do her share of cleaning because my stuff was "still all over the place"...yeah...because I lived there.

Anyway....should I be concerned? Am I wrong to keep her $150? If i'd known this was going to happen, I wouldnt have wasted my time cleaning. I would have left the apt as is and we woudlnt have gotten it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 PM

148 posts, read 296,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsilva View Post
A few facts:

-I am 1st listed on lease.
-She is my co-applicant.
-We paid a $300 deposit ($150 each).
-When we signed our intent to vacate, we agreed to have the deposit forwarded to my address and I would divvy it up. The paper is signed and dated by both of us with my forwarding address.

Our move out date was July 22. I received an email from her on July 7th stating that she had moved out on the 6th and would be leaving the country on the 15th and she trusts me to handle everything with the move-out inspection etc. Even though she moved out, she did pay her full rent due. I am grateful for this.

Before she left the country, we had a pre-move-out inspection. They were planning to charge $250 if we chose not to clean, and $75 for the decals she left on the wall. She saw this list prior to leaving the country and had adequate time to come clean her half and take her decals down. I also have proof of asking her via email 5 times for her forwarding address so I could send her half, but she never provided me with it. At 8pm on July 14th (she was leaving the country early next morning) I came home to my apartment expecting half to be cleaned and her decal to be down. It was clear she had been there - her 1 final small box was gone and her food was taken out of the fridge - but nothing was cleaned. I assumed she was ok with the $325 charge ($25 more than our deposit - so our apt complex would be charging us). Half of the cleaning fee plus the decal cleaning fee was more than her half. So I decided i'd save her being charged that extra $25 and i'd clean everything myself and keep the deposit. I spent all evening cleaning, scrubbed the fridge and freezer, used mr clean erasers on the doors and walls.

I send her an email that night (just before she left the country) and informed her of the charges. Then exclaimed that i'd busted my butt cleaning and removing decals etc. So she would not be receiving any deposit back - but she ALSO isn't going to have the leasing dept. coming after her for the additional amount.

Fast forward a few weeks, we are getting the deposit sent to me, and she's threatening to sue me for her measly $150 half. I've been banking on having this money for weeks. I have email proof she moved out on the 6th. and that she was leaving on the 15th. she is claiming that she had planned to come around midnight the night before she left the country to clean and I didn't even give her the chance. SHe also claims that she left on the 6th and wasnt able to do her share of cleaning because my stuff was "still all over the place"...yeah...because I lived there.

Anyway....should I be concerned? Am I wrong to keep her $150? If i'd known this was going to happen, I wouldnt have wasted my time cleaning. I would have left the apt as is and we woudlnt have gotten it back.
People throw around threats to sue all the time. Wait until she actually does. I am certain that it isn't worth the attorney fees for her to try and get the $150, so it is yours.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:55 PM

790 posts, read 1,881,391 times
Tell her she's more than welcome to "sue" you. You're fine. No worries.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 PM

14 posts, read 50,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Lover View Post
People throw around threats to sue all the time. Wait until she actually does. I am certain that it isn't worth the attorney fees for her to try and get the $150, so it is yours.
Agreed. She would have to sue in small claims, and would need to file suit here in VA to do so. Is she out of the country permanently? If so , it'll likely cost her waaaay more than $150 to come back and sue you. Even if she's an idiot and does try to sue you, it's very unlikely she would win based on the information you provided. I think it'd be funny to watch her try.

**I am NOT a lawyer

Old 07-29-2013, 02:03 PM

617 posts, read 1,356,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Lover View Post
I'd reply to her e-mail (if she sent one) listing your points in bullet form, then maybe casually point out what others have said, she's welcome to do so if she's willing to incur much higher expenses than what she'll recoup in court, if anything.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:10 PM

I just got off the phone with the company that owns our old apartment complex. They said the check is being mailed to my address - with BOTH our names on it. requiring BOTH of our signatures - which wont happen. she went to south america for a few weeks and is back now. we wont even be in the same room. i've given her bulleted lists and she still wont listen.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:19 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
I've deposited checks for my parents. It's in both of their names. My Mom is usually the one that signs it and they'll deposit it, no questions asked.

You might also have better luck posting in the Renting subsection.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I've deposited checks for my parents. It's in both of their names. My Mom is usually the one that signs it and they'll deposit it, no questions asked.

You might also have better luck posting in the Renting subsection.

Thanks. this website confused me and i couldnt figure out how to post under topics haha.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM

52 posts, read 102,688 times
Do what the rest have suggested!

But don't worry about the check, I have deposited checks before with both mine and my roommates names in the past and they just wanted one signature. (Bank of America)

Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsilva View Post
I just got off the phone with the company that owns our old apartment complex. They said the check is being mailed to my address - with BOTH our names on it. requiring BOTH of our signatures - which wont happen. she went to south america for a few weeks and is back now. we wont even be in the same room. i've given her bulleted lists and she still wont listen.
How can this be enforced if you two have separate accounts and there is only one check? The check would need to be deposited in only one account so long as the name matches one of the names on the check. I think you are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting