Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybb View Post
Unusual to have person pay security and 1st month rent on move-in day.
You might be surprised to know that it's really not too unusual. For whatever reason, some people do find it a bit tight financially moving house and their cash flow makes it easier to pay on or a little before move-in day (which is usually the first of the month) when they're paid at the end of the month. When references otherwise check out I've let it slide until then just a couple of times and never had a problem with it but it's not something I would normally do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 02:57 PM

20 posts, read 117,963 times
No, I wouldn't allow any move-in before fees either. Tenant doesn't have a key at this point and won't until fees are paid one day prior to move-in. I am going to add the no smoking to the lease too and have him sign it. All good things to consider. Have been a LL for 10 years now but learn something new with every turn-over!

Old 08-11-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitabreak View Post
I am going to add the no smoking to the lease too and have him sign it.
Just my two cents but this is NOT a good idea as the lease has already been signed. As mentioned before, you should make up a simple lease amendment reflecting the no smoking rule. And do remember that he does NOT have to sign it if he chooses not to and you cannot either make him do so or refuse him occupancy because of it. You won't "have him" sign it but will ask him to sign it. There's every likelihood that it'll be no problem.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,404 times
We recently had a similar situation with a catch. After careful screening, we met with the tenant to sign the lease. Whenever signing a new lease we always go through the lease one section at a time with the tenant. The whole time we were going through the lease, she had a check filled out for the security-deposit amount resting in front of her! We signed the lease with her giving us the check. Then after the lease was signed and we were starting to say our good-byes, she asked us to hold the check for over a week due to needing to wait until she'd be paid. I was extremely surprised as we had clearly told her what was due at the time of signing and the lease specifically says this. All along she acted like paying at signing would be no problem. I told her we could not give her the keys until we had her security deposit and insisted that rent be paid on time, too. Because we were worried that her check would not clear before the start of the lease, my husband asked her to pay cash before keys were handed over. She has since called us to tell us that she wants to move in, but can't pay the security deposit but can pay first month's rent. We have again told her that we can't give her the keys without payment. She is cancelling the lease, because she can't pay everything owed. It's a pain in the behind for us, but I'm glad to be ending this relationship now and I'm really glad we didn't give her keys. I tell this story as a warning to others! Get real payment at time of signing of lease and be sure your lease covers the possibility you'll be given some type of bogus payment!

Old 01-15-2015, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,684 times
I have a prospective tenant, she signed a month to month agreement, i signed the agreement as well and emailed it to her, she was suppose to come by on a friday to pay the first and last, but she did not show up on that friday and i did NOT hear from her until 5 days later. can i still break the agreement and move on to another prospective tenant?

Old 01-15-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANNAR View Post
I have a prospective tenant, she signed a month to month agreement, i signed the agreement as well and emailed it to her, she was suppose to come by on a friday to pay the first and last, but she did not show up on that friday and i did NOT hear from her until 5 days later. can i still break the agreement and move on to another prospective tenant?
If your agreement that she come by on Friday was solid (in writing/confirmed by email/a witness?) then yes. Without that it's a little bit of a gray area. Hopefully you said something in your email when you sent her the lease, even if it was as simple as, "see you on Friday so we can square the money anyway". What did she say when she finally contacted you?

Old 09-20-2015, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,068 times
I feel that if the LL signed with no money in hand then that must mean there had to be a verbal accepted agreement and it should be honored period! If you were set on a non-smoker then not only do you adverise that way-it should reflect that in the lease. Problem with people today they make mistakes and other people suffer at their expense, If you don't honor the agreement then this man/family shall be homeless! UNFAIR

Old 09-21-2015, 10:18 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitabreak View Post
I had put "No smoking" in the add but I don't think it is in the lease. We both signed the lease and the lease does say that the fees are due on lease signing-not move in day. I think this all boils down to ethics. Although I would rather have the more desirable tenant, I can't prove that the less desirable tenant is really bad. By the time the move-in date comes, the better tenant will probably have already found something else.

This has been the strangest rental experience I have ever had.
Probably at least 10 renters I considered prime stated that they wanted the house but wouldn't turn in their app! The renters I really didn't want were calling me night and day. I waited as long as I could but felt I finally had to move and just picked through the apps I did had and went with the best one. It seems that flakiness and lack of follow-through have become the norm rather than the exception and I don't want to add to that by becoming one of them-BUT on the other hand I am going to have to deal with this renter for a couple of years. I am just not getting a "Warm fuzzy" for renter #1 but am for renter #2.
I suggest you do a little more on the phone or questionnaire screening. 80% of potential tenants calling I deny over the phone. Usually bad credit or not enough income.

ANY applicant telling me they want to improve the property I pretty much run away from now. Few bad experiences cured me of that. I have a section that is read and signed they understand there is no modifications allowed at all.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:49 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I suggest you do a little more on the phone or questionnaire screening. 80% of potential tenants calling I deny over the phone. Usually bad credit or not enough income.

ANY applicant telling me they want to improve the property I pretty much run away from now. Few bad experiences cured me of that. I have a section that is read and signed they understand there is no modifications allowed at all.

Agreed. The tenants I've had who "wanted to do improvements" always turn into nightmares. They do work without permission or conversation and do it wrong, or they do work and subtract from rent without permission, or they are constantly asking "if I do this, will you pay for it?" 5 times a week after you've already told them no. Etc.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Agreed. The tenants I've had who "wanted to do improvements" always turn into nightmares. They do work without permission or conversation and do it wrong, or they do work and subtract from rent without permission, or they are constantly asking "if I do this, will you pay for it?" 5 times a week after you've already told them no. Etc.
Lol you must of gotten one of my old tenants. Guy just flat out refused to take no for a answer and everything was "why can't I do that". It was worse than dealing with a 6 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting