Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 5,789 times

Advertisements

Over the past year my family and I have been having a really hard time with our neighbors. the original owner of the house is a divorced lady who lives with her son, but out of nowhere she built a room? Small house? That attaches to her house, it basically looks like a portable was attached to the back of her house. She rents to a couple, and then she rents to another couple and their child. Their house is the same size as ours so I'm wondering how she's managing to squeeze in so many people. Beside that the house she's renting looks incredibly shabby and illegal. Normally our family wouldn't care at all but our neighbors are really rude, nasty people. not only do they take up all the parking spaces (altogether they have 10 cars, I'm not exaggerating at all). They park right in front of our house, as someone who pays taxes and our mortgages we'd at least like to park in front of our house. They've started problems with us, accusing us of hitting their cars, saying they have video proof. They even went as far as to call the police on us for "hitting their cars" when the police officer asked for evidence, suddenly they couldn't come up with any? My parents and I have car insurance and if we did hit their car on accident, we'd settle it legally. Honestly they're the neighbors from hell and I really want to do something about it. Is there any way to figure out if their housing is in fact illegal? I don't want to call someone to inspect the property and have it be legal and then make everything more awkward and upsetting. If anyone has any experience with this, are there any tips or anyway to contact the city and find out if they have permits for the added on building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:55 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times
yes, usually the city building dept has records. It's public information.
Call the building dept and describe what you think is illegal and ask if a permit is required.
If it sounds illegal, they'll probably send an inspector to their house.

I have anonymously reported illegal building structures, and the city inspector came out and gave a notice to tear it down.
If you do it anonymously, it will be a guessing game for the lady as to which neighbor snitched.

as for hogging up your street parking, usually that's free for all, unless your city has permits and special limitations on how many vehicles each property can have. Again, ask your city hall or police dept.

Sometimes there are maximum occupancy laws, and people do get busted for renting out garage conversions.
Check with city hall if they have any occupancy laws.

She called the cops on you. time to return the favor. Don't be afraid.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Check online county records. All you have to do is put the address in, it would tell you if permits were pulled and what additions are legal, and how many bed and baths it has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting