Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 03:16 PM

68 posts, read 144,148 times

Advertisements

I live in a 6 unit condo building and my neighbor to the left and my upstairs neighbor share a nanny during the weekdays. A few days a week (or maybe every afternoon), the kids play in the unit above me. The soundproofing in the unit is pretty good, but I can always hear them stomping around, running around, rolling toys, yelling as they play, etc. It is by no means terrible and it only bothers me during the day as I work from home.

Is it reasonable to ask them to play in the unit next to me instead? Or at least on most days to limit playtime to that unit? The unit below that unit is a renter and they do not work from home

I have only lived here for about 2 months and I have gotten to know everyone pretty well. Everyone is nice so I am thinking this should not be an issue but just want a second opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 03:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
No harm in asking - and hope that if it's agreed to the insulation in the adjoining walls is good, otherwise you're back to square one!

Old 09-04-2013, 03:20 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
You can certainly ask, especially if you are polite and reasonable with your request.

Just know that they have zero obligation to fulfill your request, and it wouldn't necessarily paint them in a bad light to do so.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:24 PM

I actually do not share any walls (except the laundry room) with the neighbor next door which is very nice. They play their all the time I never hear them unless they are screaming like maniacs and even then I can hardly hear it.

If they said no, I would be okay with it. Like I said it is not terrible at all. And I understood the risks of not buying the top floor.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:40 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,639 times
then why even bother just deal with it eventually you will not notice it.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:52 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
then why even bother just deal with it eventually you will not notice it.
Kids screaming and stomping every day as they play? I don't think that's the type of noise you will eventually "not notice," especially if they're not your kids!

OP, no harm in asking.

(And what you are dealing with is one more reason I would NEVER buy a condo ... in many places it is just like living in an apartment except you usually OWN so you can't easily leave when neighbors are noisy.)

Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Kids screaming and stomping every day as they play? I don't think that's the type of noise you will eventually "not notice," especially if they're not your kids!

OP, no harm in asking.

(And what you are dealing with is one more reason I would NEVER buy a condo ... in many places it is just like living in an apartment except you usually OWN so you can't easily leave when neighbors are noisy.)
It is more of investment and is much cheaper (and nicer) than renting in Chicago. I am paying less for a 1800 sq ft 3 br than I was for a 650 sq ft 1 bedroom in generally the same area

But you are right, no harm in asking. At the very least, they will be conscious of it.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:48 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange3324 View Post
It is more of investment and is much cheaper (and nicer) than renting in Chicago. I am paying less for a 1800 sq ft 3 br than I was for a 650 sq ft 1 bedroom in generally the same area

But you are right, no harm in asking. At the very least, they will be conscious of it.
Wow, I know real estate is local but I had no idea of the rent-vs-own deals you could get in Chicago. Good for you!

Anyway, sounds like you and neighbors have gotten along well so far so I don't know why they wouldn't do what you asked. I'd go nuts if I were listening to other people's kids screaming all day.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:01 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Wow, I know real estate is local but I had no idea of the rent-vs-own deals you could get in Chicago. Good for you!

Anyway, sounds like you and neighbors have gotten along well so far so I don't know why they wouldn't do what you asked. I'd go nuts if I were listening to other people's kids screaming all day.
during the day iit is normal living noise. this does not fall under quite enjoyment of the residence . he could ask. but they can let the kids play all they want. not even a noise complaint here.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
during the day iit is normal living noise. this does not fall under quite enjoyment of the residence . he could ask. but they can let the kids play all they want. not even a noise complaint here.
I agree. That isn't my complaint. I just want to see if they would do a nice gesture for their neighbor who does work at home

I could tolerate the running, but the screaming, crying, bouncing balls, rolling wheels on the hardwood is just unbearable!

Last edited by orange3324; 09-09-2013 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting