Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 07:07 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,801 times

Advertisements

Kind of a two-part question:
a) Many insurance companies require your premary residence policy to be with them in order to insure your rental property. Which company do you have your policy with and do they have this requirement?

b) I've had 3 water damage claims to my property in the past 2 years. Now my insurance company is not renewing my insurance. Anyone know of lienient insurance companies that I may be able to get a policy from considering this claims history? My CLUE report shows all the properties I own and none of the other properties have had any claims, just this one stuburn property which the last claim (third one) was put in because the person at fault refused to pay the damages eventhough it wasn't my fault (company is still going after the claimant through legal channels).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
State Farm. But yeah. Too many claims and you're gonna get dropped.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Mine was with State Farm, but I just saved about $200 by changing to Safeco. Saved around $1,100 total by changing my policies for home, landlord and 2 automobiles from State Farm to Safeco.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 889 times
My landlord insurance is with Universal North America, but I just got a notice of non renewal due to two water damage claims in the last 3 years.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 AM

542 posts, read 1,549,085 times
Our home is with State Farm. Our rental in CA is through an insurance broker, and I think the actual insurance is with Mercury now. Our rentals in AZ are through an insurance company called Country Financial.

If your rental is in CA, I'd recommend going to the Apartment Owners Association website and looking at insurance brokers who advertise with them (you can also look up AOA's past magazines, which will have insurance broker ads). Much easier than trying to call a bunch of insurance companies yourself, just call a couple of brokers, they have access to lots of insurance companies.

If your rental is in AZ (you mentioned CLUE report), you can do a similar thing as for CA, as AZ has their own version of AOA, but I forgot the name. Just google search for AZ apartment owners association or something, and look up brokers and companies out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting