Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 14,398 times

Advertisements

So I've been renting a place for a couple years now. About 3 or 4, can't remember.

Since I moved in the dishwasher never worked. The landlord was informed of this and later that it leaked. Nothing was done. I never used the dishwasher and years later a huge mold problem was discovered in unit under mine. The neighbors wanted me to let them in to check and my landlord didn't let them. So they sent someone into my place and they said that my dishwasher wasn't leaking and that there was nothing wrong with it. Later when a condominium inspector came to check out the problem, after my landlord had to let them come in, they found that there was a leak and mold. (See pictures).

So the landlord fixed the leak and put a new dishwasher on top of the mold. That was about a month ago. Later an insurance person came to look at the mold. A couple days ago my landlord told me that I had to leave because the owner of the condo was selling the unit. It seemed ok, except for the fact that he gave too much info regarding the owner's "divorce" and how sad that was. Also, that they would try to work with me and that he gave me 60 days instead of the 30 he was only required to give me.

Whole thing comes to an end... I dont really care. I just care that it's inconvenient that I have to move without planning and have to get a whole new deposit for another place. On top of looking and such.

My issue is having bad credit so renting can be a little hard. I've been working on the credit but it's still not good and won't be fixed for another year or so, not 30 days.

I'm hoping my landlord gives me a good recommendation. I'm scared that they'll keep my deposit.

Health Wise: Breathing is a little hard when i have the fan on, but not painful or that would really cause alarm. I recently had a bug bite that caused a skin infection but that's probably not related. I dont think i've had any health side effects because of this.

What are my moves?

California

https://www.dropbox.com/s/916a3idire...913_150741.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6wnqdr5vq4...913_150747.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qj2z49rpsj...913_150759.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 01:44 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,085 times
LOL, actually, in CA he was required to give you a 60 day notice of termination of tenancy (not 30 days), per CA law, because you've lived there more than a year. So at least he did that right.

I'm assuming you were on a month to month agreement, right? Not a lease? And this isn't under rent control? If so, sounds like he's doing everything he's supposed to, so yes, you need to move by the end of the 60 days. You still need to pay rent during that time or they can evict you for not paying rent.

Now, if you find a new place soon, you could opt to give your own 30 day notice that you will be moved out in 30 days, and then you would only be liable for the rent through the end of your 30 day notice (if that comes before the end of the 60 day notice). To make this simple, let's say they gave you 60 days notice on Nov 1st and said to be out by Dec 31st. If you find a new apartment on Nov 15th, you could give 30 days notice Nov 15th and only owe rent for the first 14 days of Dec.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:55 PM

well he said he was being kind by offering me 60 days, so that's manipulative.

but THANK YOU....hopefully he'll take my 30 days notice now even though it's the fourth. We shall see.

I don't want to pay rent for December if I don't have to.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM

Also, why did you laugh?

Old 11-04-2013, 02:08 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87space View Post
well he said he was being kind by offering me 60 days, so that's manipulative.

but THANK YOU....hopefully he'll take my 30 days notice now even though it's the fourth. We shall see.

I don't want to pay rent for December if I don't have to.
He has to accept it, he doesn't have a choice. Just make sure you have a new place lined up to move into before the end of your 30 day notice period, or you'll be in a tight spot. Also, you'll still owe rent for the first 3 days of Dec since you're giving 30 days notice on Nov 4th.

Quote:
Also, why did you laugh?
Just because, as you said, he was trying to make it sound like he was doing you a favor, but he was actually required to give you a 60 day notice. Of course, maybe he doesn't know he's required to give you 60 days, so he actually thought he was doing you a favor, in which case he wasn't manipulative so much as ignorant. Either way, I don't think he meant any harm by it, sounds like he's trying to do right by you.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM

Thanks again! I didnt want to be suspicious. I'm glad you see that as well now I dont have to be paranoid.

Have a Great Week Friendly Person!

Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
Having a good rental history of 3-4 years should go in your favor as well with a new rental company. Specially if you tell them you have to move cuz of mold issues and the landlord selling his property.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:42 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Having a good rental history of 3-4 years should go in your favor as well with a new rental company. Specially if you tell them you have to move cuz of mold issues and the landlord selling his property.
I wouldn't tell the new LL about leaving because of mold issues. LLs are very wary of tenants who complain about mold, for good reason. Of course the OP hasn't really complained about mold, but it will look like that to a new LL. Just saying they were selling the unit is enough.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:25 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
My issue is having bad credit so renting can be a little hard. I've been working on the credit but it's still not good and won't be fixed for another year or so, not 30 days. .......................

[/url]
If your credit will be fixed in a year, that means your credit issues were all far in your past.

The majority of landlords don't mind taking someone who had payment issues 5-6 years ago and yet has paid every bill on time since then. So, if your payment issues were years ago, they are probably not going to be a problem.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
So I've been renting a place for a couple years now. About 3 or 4, can't remember.

"A couple of years" isn't 3-4 years.

... A couple days ago my landlord told me that I had to leave because the owner of the condo was selling the unit.

A perfectly legitimate reason.

... Also, that they would try to work with me and that he gave me 60 days instead of the 30 he was only required to give me.

According to other posters he's required under CA law to give you 60 days notice but it's a moot point as he gave you 60 days.

... I just care that it's inconvenient that I have to move without planning and have to get a whole new deposit for another place. On top of looking and such.

60 days notice is more than most people in most jurisdictions get on a month to month.

I'm hoping my landlord gives me a good recommendation. I'm scared that they'll keep my deposit.

You do a walk-through with your LL before you move out so you have a chance to fix anything which needs to be fixed, take photos of the unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
I wouldn't tell the new LL about leaving because of mold issues. LLs are very wary of tenants who complain about mold, for good reason. Of course the OP hasn't really complained about mold, but it will look like that to a new LL. Just saying they were selling the unit is enough.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If your credit will be fixed in a year, that means your credit issues were all far in your past.

The majority of landlords don't mind taking someone who had payment issues 5-6 years ago and yet has paid every bill on time since then. So, if your payment issues were years ago, they are probably not going to be a problem.
I agree.

It might be a good idea if you go to the first "sticky" on this forum and read what CA landlord tenant laws require of both parties when a tenancy comes to an end. It's all spelled out very simply. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting