Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 03:35 PM

25 posts, read 20,575 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I wanted to ask for those of you who rented in close proximity to the freeway, do you feel you were at a good distance away or was it loud no matter what? I currently live on the 4th floor but facing a busy street with traffic that goes about 45-55 mph; the building itself is literally about 30 feet away from the edge of the street. Despite the soundproofing, you still hear the traffic. It's so loud on the balcony that I wouldn't be able to hear myself talk (useful balcony). In the past, I lived on a 9th floor and had zero issues with traffic but this was around low-traffic surface streets, too.

And example apartment is 9353 Pioneer Blvd, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670. This is several hundred feet from the freeway. Of course, I will find out how the noise level is when I physically view the place. But for those who are light sleepers, what have you experienced? During my perusal, most of the newer multi-complex apartments all seem to be built near freeways. Unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 03:50 PM

586 posts, read 554,576 times
Too close is when you feel like it's too close. Some people don't mind the noise of traffic and some do.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:04 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilex View Post
I currently live on the 4th floor but facing ...about 30 feet away from the edge of the street.
It's so loud on the balcony that I wouldn't be able to hear myself talk.
How cheap is the rent?
How long do you have to be there?

Old 05-30-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How cheap is the rent?
How long do you have to be there?
I'm searching in the Downey/Pico Rivera/South Whitter/north Norwalk area. All these newer complexes near the freeways seem to be pricier than the rest of the region, but I will say about 2000-2200 for a 2 bedroom, 1500-1800 for a 1 bedroom. I will be in the region for the foreseeable future, but am not constrained to this particular apartment complex.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:24 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You are going to have to go and sit for awhile and listen to the noise. Too much depends upon the topography, the vegetation, and the sound-proofing. Sometimes it is loud 2 blocks away and sometimes, you can't hear it while you are inside when it is right next to you.

Also, if it rains frequently, the traffic noise is greatly amplified by a wet road.

Just being able to hear it is not the issue. The issue is whether or not it is loud enough to bother you.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:26 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
PS: I don't want to live close enough so that I get the exhaust fumes.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilex View Post
I will be in the region for the foreseeable future...
Sounds like you need to find a different unit.

I'll suggest higher up and farther from the road.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Sounds like you need to find a different unit.

I'll suggest higher up and farther from the road.
Thanks. Ya, I'll drop a post in the Los Angeles forum to see which neighborhoods/areas are generally safe. I've seen some posts from 10 years ago, but the regions could have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
PS: I don't want to live close enough so that I get the exhaust fumes.
Good point.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
It just depends on the unit and the location. I lived far from a freeway at one point, but it was a busy intersection. I didn't have a balcony, but I use large fans for white noise. If you want peace and quiet on a balcony, though, a fan for white noise won't cut it for you.

Every place is different. It's not just freeway, it's neighborhood noise, street traffic noise, etc. You'll just have to do a drive by as someone else suggested, and listen during different times of the day. Sometimes a noisy neighbor is worse than traffic noise.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:08 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
I would also make sure to specifically visit the complex during morning and evening rush hour when traffic is most excessive. Plus, it may not always be the sound of vehicles driving consistently at steady speeds. If there are any off/on ramps near the complex you might also hear more horns honking, tires screeching or loud semis/larger trucks up/down shifting as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting