Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:04 AM

525 posts, read 539,651 times

Advertisements

Background/credit check is really a huge indicator for me if they are going to pay their rent, but even though I have a set standard for each renter, I also take each one on a case by case basis. I tend to research the person even before they fill out the application to see what I can find and to see if they lie to me in any way, based on what I already know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 09:53 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Background/credit check is really a huge indicator for me if they are going to pay their rent, but even though I have a set standard for each renter, I also take each one on a case by case basis. I tend to research the person even before they fill out the application to see what I can find and to see if they lie to me in any way, based on what I already know.

You investigate them before they even apply? Whew, nothing like living on the edge. Of a Fair Housing complaint!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Maybe, maybe not.

Does the credit report say that they really lived at that address for all those years? Does the family own the house?

What is their credit score? How about their employment record? Stable? Sufficient income? Criminal background check is clean? No evictions filed with the county?

I've been known to go to the applicant's current address and knock on neighbor's doors. I do that if the call is really close and I can't decide, or if I have a bad feeling and can't find anything legal to reject. It's amazing what you can find out from neighbors.

I don;t think I have ever had a well qualified applicant that had only lived with family. I have had many well qualified applicants that were moving from a house that they owned and were living with family there. But each case gets screened fresh.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:08 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
You investigate them before they even apply? Whew, nothing like living on the edge. Of a Fair Housing complaint!
There is no Fair Housing complaint there if the landlord is looking at public records. Sometimes you learn a lot just by googling their name, or looking at their face book page. That is all open for public viewing, nothing illegal about looking at it.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is no Fair Housing complaint there if the landlord is looking at public records. Sometimes you learn a lot just by googling their name, or looking at their face book page. That is all open for public viewing, nothing illegal about looking at it.
Exactly! You would be surprised what you learn from Facebook..lol...or mugshots.com.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:25 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
So without going into much detail, I am trying to find a renter for my condo and I have one application where the person has rented - but from family members for the past 10 years. The person is currently living with a sister and sharing the rent. Assuming everything else checks out - would this be a red flag to you? Thoughts that go through my head are: Why are you in your 40's and have been living with family members for the past 10 years? How am I going to verify your rental history when your sister could easily lie? I know everyone has a "story" but am I being paranoid?
I would not rent to a person who does not have a rental history. One of my requirements is an established rental history. What does the rest of the application look like? How long has he been working? credit history? I would look for patters of consistency.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:34 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Your best protection against an iffy tenant prospect is a larger security deposit. Verify that your state has no limits on the size of the deposit, some states do.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
What I find interesting and I think the landlords on here are correct to look at past rental history, but I have only 1 or 2 times had my rental history verified. I have relocated a lot because I move out of state. I rent in nice places even in the past in country clubs. They just run my credit and background. This has been both private owners, with realtors, and major communities. I write down my past rental history but like I said 1 or 2 times they have called to verify. Same with employment or references. Always confused me.
If I had a property I would be verifying everything. In my opinion better to take the time now then in the future have more problems and lose money.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:57 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
car looked clean ....
Don't fall for this one some people care more about their car then their rental obligation.

Can you verify employment history? I'd do a full background and credit check and make them prepay for it.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:17 AM

Well it looks like everything has checked out...Credit score was decent -credit wasn't perfect, but there was an established pattern of paying bills for the last several years. No evictions, no bankruptcies, no criminal record. Got pay stubs with established work history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting