Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:59 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,843,937 times

Advertisements

If your tenant stops returning phone calls, GET YOUR BUTT OVER THERE AND FIND OUT WHY! Sorry for the caps and all, but it is important.

We just had a tenant move out after a year. He stopped answering phone calls or even coming to the door when we came by. This is a huge red flag. Since I couldn't make an appointment for an inspection, I got a nasty surprise this morning. An empty house with probably $10,000 worth of damage to it.

I could probably extend this to checking in on a tenant if their phone gets disconnected or the number gets changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,109,820 times
A landlords nightmare. Best wishes to you, I hope you sue them.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,599,354 times
Oh man welcome to my nightmare but I'm at 5x your estimate. Good luck to you. Even if I sued my old tenants they have no money so ill just be wasting more of mine. You'll probably. Get the judgement but good luck collecting.
When I get my place done ill post pics of before during and after.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:39 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,381,258 times
I used to tell my new renters prior to them signing the lease papers, when they stop answering their telephone, they need not answer their door when I come over in short order. I'll be over only to post a "Notice to Vacate." Most of them knew what I meant because they knew most Texas evictions are quick and dirty.

Texas, and certainly west Texas, may be one of the more preferable places to be a landlord as the laws are fairly landlord-friendly. However, whenever I start wondering if I did the right thing by selling all my rentals, I come over here to read some horror stories. I'm fairly sure my last renters were not even humans as they left my property looking and smelling like a rat's nest.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:02 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,843,937 times
Another lesson is keep the applications. The info on the app lead me straight to where they went. Hiring process server first thing in the morning and at a minimum I will be ruining their credit. And renewing the judgment as often as needed.

This makes me realize we need a better application. And we need to be much more diligent about getting photocopies of identification cards.

To all who want to complain that it is excessive, you can blame a handful of bad apples for screwing it up for the rest of you. I don't like having to take 5 extra steps to lease a place. I wish we could go back to a handshake agreement society, but we have too many people who willingly screw people over and probably enjoy it. I know I've heard some brag about it.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:49 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,408,915 times
Your application should include the following:

Name
DOB
SSN
current mailing address (do not assume that it's their current residence, they might have a PO Box)
Current and last 2 addresses with name and number of landlords
Current employment with name and number of supervisor

2 names, addresses and numbers of relative as emergency contacts

Establish a firm policy on qualifying applicants. For instance, a FICO of at least 650-675 with no major derogatory entries. 2.5 or 3 times the rent in gross income. Favorable rental history.

Go through a service that legally runs their credit for you. Require pay stubs or other verifiable proof of income. Do not accept checks from out of state banks.

Do inspections every 6 months without fail.

All this should be kept in the file with that property. Denied applications should be safely stored for 6 months (or whatever your state law requires) before shredding. You can keep them longer if you wish Be sure to keep them according to confidentiality laws.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,690,317 times
Why are you calling your tenants? I've lived in this apartment for over 2 years and my manager has never called me.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Why are you calling your tenants? I've lived in this apartment for over 2 years and my manager has never called me.
We call them to make appointments for their routine 6 month inspections. If their rent is a day or 2 late. If they owe something on a bill.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:16 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,690,317 times
Oh. Well, I've never endured an inspection, I have never been late on rent, and I have never owed anything.

Here, an exterminator comes about every 2 months, and they just stick notes on everyone's door letting us know he's coming on such and such a day. That's pretty much it.

I'm not sure I would tolerate an inspection, not that I have anything to hide. Or maybe I would. I guess I never thought about it before. It doesn't sound legal.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oh. Well, I've never endured an inspection, I have never been late on rent, and I have never owed anything.

Here, an exterminator comes about every 2 months, and they just stick notes on everyone's door letting us know he's coming on such and such a day. That's pretty much it.

I'm not sure I would tolerate an inspection, not that I have anything to hide. Or maybe I would. I guess I never thought about it before. It doesn't sound legal.
Of course it's legal. An owner or his agent has the right to inspect, show, sell, have an appraisal etc with proper notice to a tenant (generally 48 hours). Our inspections are mostly regarding plumbing and electrical,and to make sure everything is working properly because many people never report a problem unless you're standing right there in the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting