Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 11:54 PM

5 posts, read 6,324 times

Advertisements

So about 6 months ago i moved into a home that was converted into a kind of duplex. the other half is a pet groomers....

they don't seem to get much business but the last couple of months its been to noisy for anyone's liking. The last week the shop runners/owner's husband has been "helping" out there and they bring there own dog in. the dog NEVER shuts up its constantly barking. shop hours are 7am till 4pm. they've been arriving around 6-6:30am lately and staying till around 5:30pm.

When im in my living room its not that big of a deal the noise is fairly and reasonably muffled then. How ever the problem arise's while i sleep because my room is right next to there shops. its literally a wall separating us.

I'm not one for confrontation and starting any animosity and or problems. I've tried talking to a couple of folks at my work one of whom actually dates there daughter, the other takes his pet there, in the hopes that they would casually pass along the information and that would be the end of it. frankly I'm at my wits end here though. i work retail so my shifts and worked days very but mainly i work evenings. which means im up till 10pm - 12am at night sometimes later depending. so being woken up at 6 or 7 in the morning is unreasonable to me.

Is it unreasonable for me to expect them to be reasonably quiet and not bring the little barker in to work? how should i go about solving this situation. i like were i live its extremely close to work and works out for me so well. its just this one hiccup thats really starting to "squish my sack". I fill likes its reasonable for me to exspect them to be quiet and keep the animals they groom quiet.

They at least asked to park in part of my drive way, which i don't mind since they actually asked. the noise is just to much, occasionally theres even someone there late at night when im going to bed. I've looked up the noise ordinance which is from 10pm till 7am which means there required to keep it to 45 decibels and lower. which is considered as loud as a library or bird call. average bird calls are considered 44 db's. with that in mind, should i just speak to my land lord.

during other hours there not supposed to exceed 60 db's which is considered a conversational restaurant or background music or a running air conditioning unit.

i really don't want to go to the shop i do not like confrontation it tends to get out of hand and i get extremely p.o.'d and occasionally people could get hurt, cops could get called. so im really trying to be civil here and hope there's some way i can reasonably rectify this.

i really get the filling like my land lord could care less tbh. no i haven't spoken to him about it he just runs a ton of local property's and a business in town.

Are they even required to be quiet? i would think so but i need information and help here. its really starting to make me sleepy and effecting my day to day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 12:00 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
If I had moved in next to a pet groomer ... I would have expected to hear pet noises.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:26 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Stop Complining to others & TALK to them!

Old 11-29-2013, 03:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
You're being unreasonable. You can't expect a business (that you knew was there before you signed the lease) to be quiet just for you. Grooming shops can be quite loud..dogs barking, clippers going, blow dryers going, phones ringing..etc...it's a business and they have the right to conduct business.

What can you do? Read your lease; see what it says about 'early termination' and follow the guidelines laid out. Talk to your landlord and explain to him you want to lease because you didn't realize how noisy a business next door was g oing to be

Old 11-29-2013, 05:19 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
If I was working an odd shift I would definitely have put more thought in to where I live. You can't expect other people to be quiet during day.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:42 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
So, you moved in next door to a pet grooming shop and now you are mad because it makes noises that are always standard for the type of business. The barking should not be a surprise.

My only suggestion is that you give notice and move to a different rental.

You can't expect them to know you are annoyed unless you tell them., But they aren't going to be able to do anything about the noise, anyway. The dogs are not theirs. Dogs in grooming shops bark, It is not legal for your neighbors to tranquilize dogs belonging to other people.

So what exactly do you think they are going to do about the noise? They aren't going to close down their business so that you can live in silence.

Maybe if you offer to pay all their rent in a shopping mall for 10 years, they will move. As it is, they are conducting business where they can afford the rent. They were there before you moved in. Sorry, no sympathy from me.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
All I can offer is an echo of what's already been said. The people next to you are conducting an established business which was in operation before you moved in. They're not conducting business or its related noise outside of normal business hours and there is no violation of noise ordinance.

You work a basic late night shift and need to sleep in. You need to move to a more suitable place but no way, no how, do you have any legal grounds to break your lease.

Going by your post you're six months into a year's lease. Either suck it up for another six months and then move or, if you have a lease termination clause option in your lease agreement, pay the penalty and give your notice.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:37 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urieaal View Post
i really don't want to go to the shop i do not like confrontation it tends to get out of hand and i get extremely p.o.'d and occasionally people could get hurt, cops could get called. so im really trying to be civil here and hope there's some way i can reasonably rectify this.
This level of anger at anything short of someone murdering your child is not normal, and is not healthy for you. I think you will find that if you treat the anger, many seemingly unrelated things in your life will improve. Including your living situation.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
This level of anger at anything short of someone murdering your child is not normal, and is not healthy for you. I think you will find that if you treat the anger, many seemingly unrelated things in your life will improve. Including your living situation.
I think we all deliberately avoided the issue you raise as being non-consequential and basically irrelevant. The OP has been given good advice. He/she should move to a place better suited to his/her needs.

I've had to move a few times because a situation just didn't work out for me, and countless other renters do and have done likewise. It's not a biggie in the grand scenario.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Does the community you live in have zoning? In my community, property zoned single family does not allow home businesses that generate more then 3 visitors per day. Check your community regulations.

At minimum talk to your landlord about the problem, explain that if it can't be corrected you will have to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting