Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:06 AM

584 posts, read 1,936,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatemelodies View Post
A month passes and I don't ever here from them again, they never hear back again.

? Holding off signing a lease with someone else who currently has an apartment available I can see right now but at a more expensive price? Someone else cannot in someway "call-it" in the weeks prior if I hold off and employ this strategy instead?
1 they do not have to call you back ever if you did not make the cut
2yes some one else can call pay and sign and have the apt. if you did not sign or pay a hold fee you will be out of luck.it sounds like it is time for you to grow up. and see land lords run a business . and do not rent just to give you a plase to live it is all about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
........ A month passes and I don't ever here from them again, .........
They are advertising right now and in a month, the unit has long since been rented.

They know the unit is coming up, they advertise a month in advance to get someone who has given notice and needs a place in 30 days. One of those people has gone in and signed a lease. 30 days after you first called, there is no unit to rent to you.

Did you go in and fill out an application?

One of the things that will help you to rent is to understand that the majority of people who call about rentals never follow through. They make appointments and don't show up. As a landlord, I am not going to chase them down. If they are really interested, they follow through. Did you call at the end of 30 days to let them know that you still need a place to rent?

No landlord will hold a place for you just because you called and asked them to call you back in a month. A rental does not get reserved until the screening is done and the money is paid.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:03 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Sounds like you are in a very competitive rental market. Why would anybody bother to call you back again a month later, when their phone is ringing off the hook?

You gotta stay on top of it, don't expect the call back, unless its for the same day or the following day.

We always tell tenants to call us back and they can call us every couple of days if they are very interested. You are right why would they call you...only in a few cases we would call potential tenants back since usually tenants already have moved on themselves since they need a place before...time frame.

If tenants start to call us on a regular base we know they are very interested and we will call them if anything will change but potential tenants have to realize that we get so many calls and people will ask us all the time if we can call them and often the first response is when we do call back..."what was the address you mentioned, what, what...well I spoke with so many rental places, can you be more specific because I don't remember which one this was"....that I why most people won't call back.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,303 times
It's unclear whether the ads the OP has seen are for units that are available to be viewed but just aren't available to be lived in, or if the units are not to be viewed until they are available for rent (I doubt this, since why would they advertise it if people can't come see it?). Many landlords allow prospective tenants to come view a unit while the current tenant is still living there. However, some landlords (like me) don't advertise until the unit is ready and available immediately. I think the OP may either have misunderstood what the landlord meant by "available" or has had some bad luck locating any ads for units that are available immediately. I would suggest OP continue searching, and eventually something will click.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:25 PM

11 posts, read 21,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
One way to reduce your irritation is have your first question be: Is this unit available to view right away?

If it isn't, but you're still interested, find out when it will be available to view. Then ask, may i call on X (a few days BEFORE the ready date) to set up an appointment? I'm really interested. My name is Susie Q and i'll call you then. If it is available before that date, can you call me, and give them your number. But YOU should be the proactive one. Follow up at the appropriate time.

In all matters in life, if there is something important to you, Don't rely on others to "get back to you." DO IT YOURSELF!!
Your advice sounds very solid, but if I am not mistaken the week before it will become available will be the week of Christmas. Do you think they will consider it a rude request to call to set up an appointment during the holiday week?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Your advice sounds very solid, but if I am not mistaken the week before it will become available will be the week of Christmas. Do you think they will consider it a rude request to call to set up an appointment during the holiday week?
Why not? Good grief, unless the ad says "DO NOT CALL DURING THE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS" , then call and ask. You seem not to be hearing what's being said ...

Old 12-06-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
It's unclear whether the ads the OP has seen are for units that are available to be viewed but just aren't available to be lived in, or if the units are not to be viewed until they are available for rent (I doubt this, since why would they advertise it if people can't come see it?). Many landlords allow prospective tenants to come view a unit while the current tenant is still living there. However, some landlords (like me) don't advertise until the unit is ready and available immediately. I think the OP may either have misunderstood what the landlord meant by "available" or has had some bad luck locating any ads for units that are available immediately. I would suggest OP continue searching, and eventually something will click.
I'm apologize for my lack of clarity.
I've only been turned down for a showing for numbers I've called from red lawn signs that say "For Rent" on them (that I saw while driving around) and being told that won't be possible for about a month at some exact date. When I've called posted newspaper ads that the landlord/leasing agent payed for, I've been immediately told the unit was already leased before any questions were exchanged. This is the first time I've seen in the newspaper the ad saying a future date when the its available, so I am unsure if it will be like my experience with calling the people on the other end of the lawn sign numbers or not. Since the newspaper poster pays by the character he/she doesn't have more information than just the words "Available 1/1/14" I didn't want to call and say something wrong and make incorrect requests if its not available now which is why I am seeking advise.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They are advertising right now and in a month, the unit has long since been rented.

They know the unit is coming up, they advertise a month in advance to get someone who has given notice and needs a place in 30 days. One of those people has gone in and signed a lease. 30 days after you first called, there is no unit to rent to you.

Did you go in and fill out an application?

One of the things that will help you to rent is to understand that the majority of people who call about rentals never follow through. They make appointments and don't show up. As a landlord, I am not going to chase them down. If they are really interested, they follow through. Did you call at the end of 30 days to let them know that you still need a place to rent?

No landlord will hold a place for you just because you called and asked them to call you back in a month. A rental does not get reserved until the screening is done and the money is paid.
No, I didn't. Should I be requesting to fill out an application immediately rather than request a showing? This doesn't legally bind me to a lease of an apartment I haven't seen yet? Thank you.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Why not? Good grief, unless the ad says "DO NOT CALL DURING THE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS" , then call and ask. You seem not to be hearing what's being said ...
Hey, I am allowed to ask questions for clarity. Its how you learn. Your comment is unnecessarily rude.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
How about just walking into larger apartment complexes with on-site leasing offices and asking for rental information. That's a good way to get started. Don't even look for ads and signs.....just go to big complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting