Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 AM

630 posts, read 1,718,943 times

Advertisements

What part of MS? My aunt is in an assisted living facility in Jackson. She really likes it. I think you should pursue the assisted living since she can do all the ADL. I know the good ones in the area have a waiting list so you need to get her on it asap. This is a terrible situation. It seems the daughter is a leech and sucking her mother dry. Kudos to you and your hubby for stepping up. I do have a question though. How can you live just a few hrs away and not know her living conditions? Have you never visited her at her house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 03:36 PM

18 posts, read 19,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
What is the arrangements for the premise?

Was it just an oral agreement? Is it written? Was there some condition such as in exchange for a gift of cash of $X given on Y date where they agreed to have her live in the cabin for that rent amount until she passes? Was the property a hand-me-down to the daughter from family where the prior owners may have made some written or oral agreement for her to live their a long as she likes? Just curious how the arrangement will be interpreted or defined.
It's an oral agreement. The deal was simply that she'd be allowed use of the main house's laundry facilities (those privileges were revoked and now she is washing her clothes in the bathtub!) and would live in the cabin for $400 a month. She also tends their garden for them, but I don't know if that's part of her "keep" or not. It was very informal. But the daughter expects prompt payment and suddenly, cash payment...or eviction. No receipt would be given. Upon being given a check instead (as she has always previously given her daughter), her daughter tore the check up.

The property is newly purchased - about a year and a half ago - by the daughter and her husband. After they bought the house, they were super eager for her my mother-in-law to live there. We thought it was kind (we have never been there and didn't know that cabin wasn't in very nice shape). Then we were told she pays rent, but we weren't told how much. We wrongly assumed it was just a bit to help cover utilities or whatever. We just now found out it was $400...which covers the entire mortgage.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
Tax issue was exactly my guess, especially considering the timing.

How long has she lived there? Have they claimed her in previous years? Was this supposed to be the new policy for 2014?

She should be receiving $721 per month if she's receiving SSI--it sounds like she has no assets, correct? Not that it's a lot more, but...
She's lived with them for a little over a year. We don't know if they claimed her last year. My mother-in-law doesn't file taxes, so the IRS wouldn't see a discrepancy so possibly. But I believe this is a new idea of theirs...thus the sudden demand for only-cash payment.

I will check into the exact amount she gets monthly but she had mentioned something in the 600s previously. Or perhaps I heard wrong and she said "seven" and not "six." But either way, she is extremely poor. I am going to get her enrolled in some social programs she qualifies for.

Thanks.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
And she is eligible to live in elderly housing, paying a lot less for rent (only 30% of her income) and probably with better amenities. Look into it.
Thanks. We went and got an application for a place today that does just that -- they charge 30% of her income and that includes utilities and cable TV. It's only 5 miles from us too. Hopefully this works out.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
WTF!? She pays $400 a month rent on $600 month income?? Please tell me I read that wrong....it is early and the coffee hasn't kicked in.
That's right. Unless, like someone said above, I heard her wrong and it's $700, not $600. But still. And we did not know this until the day before yesterday. Apparently, what paltry amount she had saved has been "borrowed" by her other kids and her other daughter took her computer to give it to her son. They are like vampires

I'm glad she finally told my husband all this. We could have done something sooner had we known. I guess she just didn't want to rock the boat or "tell" on her daughter.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
My god. I hope you and social services can get her into a better situation. That poor woman, and I know she's making the best of it, but she has got to get out of there. Even a studio apartment would be better than a hovel with those conditions. Her daughter should be ashamed.
We found a place about 5 miles from us that is for the elderly - independent living. It's a simple but clean, nice 1-bedroom apartment designed for the elderly's needs...like grab bars in the shower, pull cords if she falls and all those little things that make a big difference. The community has activities and buses run there multiple times a day if she wants to get out (she has no car)...and we're nearby for company and transportation to doctor's appointments.

It charges 30% of her income and that will include utilities and cable.

It's perfect.

Praying it works out! We have the application in hand now.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,109,820 times
The forum deleted my longer post, said my token had expired. In essence what it said is the Mississippi law written here is brief Mississippi Residential Landlord and Tenant Act

But it does obligate the landlord to perform in good faith and it requires the landlord to provide proper advanced notice to any changes in the terms of the rental agreement, typically 30 days. The landlord cannot suddenly demand cash payments, refuse to accept a check, without proper advanced notice and then start eviction proceedings claiming the tenant failed to pay the rent.

The tenant has at least 30 days from when written notice is given to teminate the rental, to try and find a new place to live. From what I have read above it does not sound like written notice has yet been given.

Last edited by CptnRn; 12-17-2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
What part of MS? My aunt is in an assisted living facility in Jackson. She really likes it. I think you should pursue the assisted living since she can do all the ADL. I know the good ones in the area have a waiting list so you need to get her on it asap. This is a terrible situation. It seems the daughter is a leech and sucking her mother dry. Kudos to you and your hubby for stepping up. I do have a question though. How can you live just a few hrs away and not know her living conditions? Have you never visited her at her house?
We live on the Coast. Biloxi.

No, I have never been to the house. It's only been about 1.5 years since it was purchased. I've actually never even been to that part of the state. It's north of McComb and East of Natchez.

The times we have seen her recently, we've all (the family) gathered at a particular sibling's house who lives at a mid-way meeting point for all of us (5 kids and their kids...spread out)...

We didn't believe we had any reason to be suspicious of her living conditions. The way it had been described to us, we thought everything was ok. We didn't suspect the daughter of being this type of person. Basically, we simply were not suspicious.

My husband talks to her regularly on the phone, but I guess she was protecting her daughter...she didn't tell us until she was threatened with eviction...then suddenly she was scared enough to reach out.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:08 PM

My husband does not have an email address for my sister-in-law by the way. She may not have one. She doesn't do Facebook or much of anything online. He did try to call her, but she hung up on him. He didn't get to say anything more than "How is Momma doing?" and she hung up.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The forum deleted my longer post, said my token had expired. In essence what it said is the Mississippi law written here is brief Mississippi Residential Landlord and Tenant Act

But it does obligate the landlord to perform in good faith and it requires the landlord to provide proper advanced notice to any changes in the terms of the rental agreement, typically 30 days. The landlord cannot suddenly demand cash payments, refuse to accept a check, without proper advanced notice and then start eviction proceedings claiming the tenant failed to pay the rent.

The tenant has at least 30 days from when written notice is given to teminate the rental, to try and find a new place to live. From what I have read above it does not sound like written notice has yet been given.
Excellent information! Thank you!

And you are correct - no formal notice has been given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting