Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 04:26 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times

Advertisements

Likely there will be more rentals starting first week of January versus Christmas week.

You should be able to find a rental that allows you to park your vehicles in the garage and forego the extra $150/storage.

Sounds like you really don't like how your landlord is handling things and that started with the garage situation. You probably shouldn't sign a lease again, even if you negotiate a better price. You feel victimized and taken advantage of. Why stay there and continue with the hard feelings? Life is too short. Start fresh. Find something nicer without all the past baggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 05:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbo2dr View Post
We expected same thing this year except that on dec 4 we get 60 days notice because LL has sold their giant house ...

... we don't have to move now. Hurray! Oh, and btw they're raising the rent by double the amount it went up last year. First increase was $50 a month, then $50 again after the second year, $75 last year and now they want $150 more a month for this next lease. Reason for increase - other places in our area are going for more than what we're paying and I'm sure they think they're helping us out by keeping us slightly under comp value at the expense of a big monthly increase. They've given us until feb 1 to sign new lease at higher rate.

Here's my question - if we don't sign the lease and just keep paying our current rent rate in full, how hard would it be to kick us out? We have perfect credit and I don't want to tarnish that but I don't want to rush into moving into some place new. We're long term tenants and we want a home, not just a place to live in. I don't think we're going to find a new comparable place by feb 1. As long as we keep paying rent at the current rate they don't have much of an argument against us to kick us out do they? I pay rent by going to property managers bank and depositing a check directly into their acct. I have their routing and acct number. Can they block my deposit?

We love the place we're in but I can't stand greedy LLs who don't value good long term tenants and just want to gouge us on rent. They've done nothing to improve the property in four years but the rent has increased by $175 since we moved in in 2009 and now they want $150 more. That's a $325 per month increase for a place that's been the same for four years! Shame on them! I could try to negotiate something with them to either decrease the rent increase some or maybe do a 3 year lease instead of one year but part of me wants to tell them to F off purely on principle. I know, I know... If I don't like it then leave but it's hard to leave the perfect place to live. Just wish LL wasn't an a-hole.

Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
60 days notice to sign a new lease is very generous, you have nothing to grouse about.

Quote:
We love the place we're in but I can't stand greedy LLs who don't value good long term tenants and just want to gouge us on rent. ..Shame on them! ... . part of me wants to tell them to F off purely on principle.... Just wish LL wasn't an a-hole.
My aren't you special? The landlord has done nothing that he is not entitled to do, and you hurl all of these insults and hatred towards them?

It is the landlords preoperative to raise the rent by whatever amount they feel is appropriate. If you have a problem with that, bo buy your own home so you can control or deal with those cost increases. If you want a home and not just a place to live, buy one. I promise you it will cost you more then the rent you are paying.

Yes, it sounds like they may be justified in thinking they are offering you a reasonable rent increase. Doing so does not make them the evil overlord you are trying to make them out to be. Nor does it justify your looking for someway to cheat them out of a rent increase, while remaining in the house. Have you never heard, "you get what you pay for"? You have absolutely no right to stay in the property and continue paying the old rental rate. Paying an inadequate amount is not payment in full. You will loose big time and end up with a huge gouge taken out of your credit rating if you persist in that kind of behavior. If you pay less then the rate they have requested they can evict you and an eviction is an enourmous black mark on your credit report.

Your landlords does not sound like they have been greedy at all in the rent increases they have requested. You sound like a spoiled little child, full of entitlement and self satisfaction, that you probably have not earned. You don't even own your own home, yet you want to tell the landlord to "F off purely on principle", and call him an a-hole because he asked for a rent increase that fully his right to request.

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone. Yes, I do feel a bit entitled. I thought LLs valued long term tenants and would rather have someone in their property paying a steady rent versus having it be empty. This latest gouge tells me they do not. I myself am a business owner having recently started my business which I have invested a lot of money into know that if I charge too much for my service customers will go elsewhere.

Yes you do feel entitled, with no justification that I can see. If you disagree with the rent increase, go elsewhere. That is your right. Put your big boy walking shoes on and walk.

Quote:
Not in a position to buy a house. Southern California is insane and I will never own here. Regarding comps, I guess I should be more clear. Other places in area that they are comping to have more bedrooms, are single level (ours is two story), have gardener included (we do all yard maintainence), have nicer cabinets and appliances, etc. The other places that are going for more are doing so because they are legitimately worth more while our place is not. So, let me rephrase my original statement - they think they're doing us a favor by keeping the rent $100 below "comp" value when places they're comping too are bigger and nicer. The places they're comping to are in our same community so I know exactly what they're looking at down to specific addresses. I understand business but I don't appreciate greed.
Not in a position to buy a house, would never own there, but somehow you are so special you can harshly judge your landlord for doing what he feels is necessary to make his business work.

If you think the other area comps are so much better, then move to one. Simple, get your butt in gear and move.

Quote:
So, yes they are a-holes and I don't like being bled dry and f'd with so I do feel like leaving just to not have to deal with them. No, I'm fearful I won't find a comp because there's nothing on the market at all right now so their 60 day notice is going to effectively give us 30 days because there's next to nothing available now. I'm not saying I won't find comparable place ever - I'm saying im not going to find one during this time of year which we haven't. I want to hold over at least another 30 days to buy myself sometime to either find new place or try to negotiate a batter deal.

Anyways, thanks again for the input no matter how harsh.
Do it, leave, show them what a man you are!!

Ohhhh nothing on the market right now, so maybe your comps don't have any validity since there are NONE!

Quote:
Of course I'm going to try and negotiate a better deal. Nothing says I can't. Forcing my LL to to my terms? Right, like I'm holding a gun to their head and making them offer us less. I think I have a legitimate argument now that I know they place they're comping is MTM and short term. Is a MTM short term occupancy the same as a long term leased tenant? No, it isn't. We shouldn't be compared to the same level as a short term MTM occupancy. Of course MTM is going to pay more. They could pick up and move out any time.

You guys are forgetting that they were forcing us out until last week and if you check your calendars you'll notice it's the week of Christmas - THERE IS NOTHING AVAILABLE NOW. That's what was originally stressing us out is the lack of properties to choose from at all. Now they tell us we can stay which is good because we never wanted to leave in the first place BUT that caveat is that they jacked up the rent. They jacked it up because they say comps are higher but the comps aren't even comparable! If that's there reason for raising my rent I'm going to argue against them that their comp value is BS for the reasons previously mentioned. If they don't budge then we'll pack up and leave and their house will be empty while it sits on the market at too high a price.
The landlord has no obligation to listen to your absurd arguments, I'd boot you out just for the pleasure of never having to deal with your argumentative ... again.

Your going to loose, as you said, "THERE IS NOTHING AVAILABLE NOW". Sounds like your artificial sense of entitlement has gotten the best of your judgement.

Grow up!

Old 12-23-2013, 07:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
OP

YOU feel that someone ( mainly your LL) owes you something simply for giving them the privilege of having you as a renter. While LLs like having tenants who pay on time and take care of the place we invest money and time in a business. Your only responsibility is to pay the rent on time and keep the place clean and follow the rules set in the lease. I know a lot of tenants see LLs as these greedy fat cats. Some may be. There are plenty of crap LL. But there are plenty of good ones. Same as tenants. Bottom line its a business. Simple as that. If the LL wants to raise the rent you have two choices. Pay the rent or move out. The comps in the area are great as a guideline but that's all they are a guideline. You resent your LL for whatever reason but rent raises are not uncommon. Most raise it yearly.

You said there is nothing available now. BS. There is always something available. It may not be what you WANT but there are places available. You seem to think that you can argue the rent increase because of comps. There is NOTHING stopping you from renting somewhere cheaper. Do I raise the rent? Yes. Maybe not every year. But I do raise it. Do I care if a good tenant moves? Sure. But even good tenants get their rent raised. Not because I want to be vindictive or some mean streak. Its simple cost of doing business, inflation and my costs are going up. Most tenants have no clue what it costs to keep a property going.

Good luck to you. If I can offer a word of advice. Remove that mountain of a chip that's on your shoulder.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:22 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,399 times
trbo2dr is what happens to a child who played games and sports were nbody lost every body won and mommy and daddy never said no to. yes rent went up but still under the base rent for area and cries .

Old 12-24-2013, 09:00 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If you want to stay in this home, sign the lease and pay the new rental rate. If you don't want to stay in this home, then get prepared to move by the end of January.

Whatever you decide, stay or go, make sure you let the property manager know (in writing) what you're doing. If you dont' sign the lease and stay after the deadline, they will formally evict you from the home.

Your landlord isn't being greedy, rents are going up everywhere. Your landlord doesn't have to tell you that his home is on the market, but he does have to give proper notice to show it to buyers and you have to let have access to do so. Your landlord isn't an a hole, he's running a business, not a charity.
OP, ^^^ is the best advise. All the responders disagree with your perspective, as do I. Some responses are outrageously nasty. Don't take it personally. Many of the contributers of the forum use it as a vehicle to spew ugliness and bully others. However, you do need to understand that your landlord will be able to find another tenant. If you believe the landlord was gaming you and want to carry animosity, in the end it only harms your internal peace. Get over it and just make an action plan and get on with your life.

I did suggest that you try to renegotiate and if that fails make your decisions about stay or go.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:48 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,762 times
I am reading between the lines on this thread. I am buying my first home after being a tenant for about a decade. I understand where you are coming from.

I think the LL wants you out. You mentioned a truck that suddenly was a problem, a car you were restoring in the garage and some motorcycles. I don't know what kind of neighborhood you are in, but if it has an HOA, it may be that you are not the "type" that they are looking for. I grew up in a sort of chi chi suburb where it was really frowned upon to park anything other than a sedan or a sports car (later SUVs were added) in the driveway. It may be something similar where you live. You say your neighbors love you, but someone called the HOA about your truck. It was a neighbor or the LL. Either way, someone isn't happy that you are there.

If it were me, I would take the hint and get the heck out. One of the things I learned the hard way is that no matter how much a rented place feels like home, its not REALLY home. Why? Because you don't own it. And though it may be perfect in every way, its not ever really perfect because its not really yours.

There are a lot of decent people out there that pay rent. You might hear more about the bad tenants, but there are plenty of good ones who don't get as much press. So being a "great tenant" is not really that huge of a deal,(though as tenants, we think it is.) The best tenant? Someone who pays what the LL wants and doesn't complain. LLs in my area hate long term tenants because the rent rises exponentially every year and they are always worried about what they are missing out on.

So do yourself a favor and start looking. It sucks, surely, when you love a place and you can't stay. But I think the writing is on the wall on this one.

Last edited by confusedasusual; 12-24-2013 at 11:58 AM..

Old 12-24-2013, 12:22 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I would point these things out to them. If they were to rent to someone else, they may have to ask for lower rates because of the quality of their cabinets, because they don't provide landscaping, etc.

Negotiate for sure! I would. If they refuse, then look for something cheaper and move out.

My mom got greedy once and tried to raise the rent $100 on a tenant (I told her it's too much) and he moved out and THEN she was only able to rent the place when she lowered rent $100 by what the previous tenant paid!
This is exactly what happened in my last place. We had a crazy 'automatic renewal' clause in the lease-- not legally defensible, mind you, but there and noted several months into what should have been a month-to-month agreement when I had to move for work. Being a nice person and a "good" tenant, I offered to show the place to new potential tenants to help out. As soon as someone expressed serious interest the LL raised the rent by $200. This was well above comparable properties in my area. Long story short, I left and it took several months after I left for the unit to be re-rented, AND it ended up being rented at what I paid. Further, another unit came available and the LL tried the same BS with the same results. The market is self-correcting.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:01 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
.......... THERE IS NOTHING AVAILABLE NOW. ........
You are in Southern California. I just checked the San Diego Craigslist and there are over 700 rental available, just posted today, and it isn't even noon yet. There will be more available before the end of the day. That's not counting the ads from yesterday and the day before that are still up and available.

If a comparable house is available for less rent, then move and let your landlord deal with not being able to find another tenant for as much as you are paying. That is not your problem. It's not any of your business what the next tenant is paying.

You have two options: pay the higher rent or move at the end of the 60 day notice. That's it. Make your choice.

I'm going to take a guess that you are a difficult tenant and your landlord doesn't want to deal with you unless he is getting substantially more rent from you. If you move without causing problems and he is eager to get rid of you, he will give you a good landlord reference.

Be too difficult and that reference gets less good, you will still be moving, and it will be more difficult to find a good rental with a poor reference. I suggest that you do not go out of your way to make trouble for yourself that you do not need to make.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:11 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Here's what I'd do. I'd send them a written reply stating that their giving you notice and then backing out on that caused you a lot of needless hassle but that you'd like to stay, regardless. However, given the inconvenience they caused you and the fact that you have been excellent tenants, you think a fair solution would be to forget the rent increase for the year.

See what they come back with.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,451 times
I agree with confusedasusual--it looks like the LL wants you out. I would get out before your reference is ruined and or you get evicted. Perhaps you could compromise with him and pay HALF of what he is asking for increase and let him know you will be out in 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting