Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 08:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

Okay, now that I'm a tenant again after having been a manager for 8 years, I'm remembering how awkward it can be to stand up for what's right, yet somehow try and keep a good relationship with the manager at the same time LOL!

My situation is legally awkward - at least to me. I'm curious as to what you think would be the appropriate thing to do.

Here's the story:

On Nov 4th, I moved into my apt. It is a senior low-income refurbished hotel. My apt is a tiny studio.

Pets are allowed 25 pounds or less.

When I arrived on Nov 4th, after driving 4 hours from my last place, I signed all paperwork as quickly as possible (you wouldn't believe the paperwork for federal/state/city funded tax properties!), and hurried to get the waiting moving guys to work moving my stuff.

The manager knew I intended to get a dog, I told her I was going to meet one the next day and would probably bring it home. So, I also gave her a $50 check towards the $300 pet deposit. They allow tenants to break up the pet deposit into payments.

I did not tell her I had a letter from my doctor requesting I be allowed to have an emotional support dog, which would mean the pet deposit should be waived, as long as management had no issue with the request. I hadn't mentioned it during any of our phone calls or when I was interviewed, as I had not asked my doctor for a note yet, and wasn't sure I could get one before I moved.

I didn't want to get into a discussion that would take any more time, as the movers were costing me money just sitting around waiting for me to get my keys.

The manager also said I needed to bring her the dog vet info and the dog needed a rabies shot. I did pick up the dog the next day, Nov 5th, and took the dog to the vet and got rabies shot on Thursday, Nov 7th and had the info ready for management on Friday Nov 8th, but manager doesn't work Fridays.

On Monday, Nov 11th, she also had the day off for the federal holiday. On Tuesday, Nov 12th, I took her the doctor's letter and all the vet info and proof of rabies shot and dog license, etc.

The manager was great about it, deals with support dogs all the time, etc., said all looked in order. I asked her if I should just deduct the $50 toward the pet deposit (which was now waived because the dog is an emotional support dog) from my December rent, and she said yes.

So, Dec 1st I put my rent check into the drop box less the $50 for the pet deposit.

On Dec 3rd the manager calls me and says that the security deposit refunds must come out of another account, via a different procedure, and that I needed to give her a check for the $50 missing from December rent.

In my sweet voice, I asked her when I will get the $50 refund. She says, she just faxed that department (in another city somewhere - they manage many of these converted low income senior projects), as well as emailed them, but that they have 21 days to pay me.

I disagree that the 21 days normally used to return a security deposit - after a tenant has vacated - applies to this situation at all. But, again, in my sweet voice, I said, okay, that would be by Christmas then? Oh yes, at the latest.

Well, nothing yet. I called to follow up....you got it....in my sweet voice again and she seemed baffled I hadn't received it yet. She then followed up and emailed them again and/or called them, told me another such check was already processed that was done at the same time mine should have, and that I should get my check any time now. At that time, she did share some frustration with her upper managers, in that they tell her one thing, then tell her something else. I do believe this to be true, though she can be a tad scattered, I believe she thought it would be fine to just take it out of rent, then was told otherwise.

Well, anyway, I still haven't received the refund.

I'm thinking I will just deduct the $50 if I haven't received it by the 1st, and include one of my famous letters...in my nicest tone possible.

What I am a bit baffled about is, if she pursues getting me to pay rent again in full, what should I do? I guess technically, they could serve me with pay or quit, as the deposit money is not rent. But, my other option would be to file a small claims action and charge them for the court filing fees, too, to get the deposit money back. I feel sure I'd win, and they'd have to pay my fees, but that sure wouldn't earn me any points here.

But, I gave her the doctor's letter on November 12th. If I don't have it by the 1st, that's a really unreasonable amount of time for me to wait on that money, let alone be legal if you want to try and make the 21 day deadline apply.

Right now, I'm not receiving my full SSI benefit, because of issues with my moving to a different county. Won't go into that. My point is just that I really need that $50. In my situation it might as well be $1,000 for the impact $50 has on my budget. My budget will be adjusted to my full benefit, I'm told, in February, thank goodness. But I could sure use that $50 now.

It's extra awkward, because I'm not a tenant who has vacated who has to sue a former landlord! I'm a tenant who just moved in, who wants to stay for many years to come, with a good relationship with the management.

What do you advise?

Oh and should someone decide to be nasty about my having an emotional support dog, I won't be addressing any comments on that subject. I want advice on how to get my $50 asap, without hurting a good relationship with management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 08:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Can't offer any advice but just wanted to say I'm glad you found something! I remember your previous thread about you and the older man. Was he able to get a place, too? Sorry about the hijack!

Old 12-25-2013, 09:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Was the agreed refund for the pet deposit in writing? I Would send a letter asking for the refund since the verbal did not work

Old 12-25-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Can't offer any advice but just wanted to say I'm glad you found something! I remember your previous thread about you and the older man. Was he able to get a place, too? Sorry about the hijack!
Older man.....? Hmmmm, I wonder if I was talking about my previous boss? He didn't want me to leave, but he's not in need of a home. Can't think of an older man who needed a place....old timer's disease here, but I'm at a loss on who you mean lol!

Old 12-25-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Was the agreed refund for the pet deposit in writing? I Would send a letter asking for the refund since the verbal did not work
No. Other than the initial paperwork, she never does anything in writing. Doesn't do email, and will just leave a sticky note in people's mailboxes (special ones separate from PO boxes) that says "please come to the office." I've found the lack of doing anything in writing irritating.

Yes, a nice little letter. I think you're right. Time to get things in writing. What a pain.

How about:

Dear Manager:

I still haven't received the $50 refund for my pet deposit down payment, which was waived when you accepted my doctor's letter on November 11th regarding having an emotional support dog. As you recall, I deducted the $50 from my December rent, but you told me that I had to pay the full December rent, as the deposit money must come out of a different account than rent money.

You told me that you faxed the paperwork regarding the pet deposit refund on December 3rd, and that it would take no longer than 21 days. It is now December 26th, and I have not received the refund yet.

I know that you said that the deposit comes out of a separate account from the rent account, and I do realize that you are at the mercy of an accounting department in a different office, but I think it would be appropriate and fair for me to deduct the $50 from my January rent, if I have not received the refund by then.

Respectfully Yours,

Me

What do you think?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
I wouldn't withhold the rent, but that's just me. Why don't you call the corporate office and see what's up?

I do like your letter, but I'm not sure if that will fly with the accounting office, they might consider that 'rent not paid' and start tacking on late fees.

What kind of dog did you get?

Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No. Other than the initial paperwork, she never does anything in writing. Doesn't do email, and will just leave a sticky note in people's mailboxes (special ones separate from PO boxes) that says "please come to the office." I've found the lack of doing anything in writing irritating.

Yes, a nice little letter. I think you're right. Time to get things in writing. What a pain.

How about:

Dear Manager:

As per our recent conversation I still have not received the $50 refund for my pet deposit down payment, which you agreed to wave when you accepted my doctor's letter on November 11th regarding having an emotional support dog.

You stated that you faxed the paperwork regarding the pet deposit refund on December 3rd, and that it would take no longer than 21 days. It is now December 26th, and I have not received any reimbursement.

Since the deposit comes out of a separate account from the rent account, and I do realize that you are at the mercy of an accounting department in a different office, I would appreciate you speaking about this matter of refunding my deposit with your accounting department. Please let me know when I can expect my refund.

Respectfully Yours,

Me

What do you think?
Don't withold rent. I changed your letter up a bit. You want to be firm about your money without sounding like a A. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:21 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
I'm not sure exactly what the right thing is, but I will say that I'm surprised their accounting department can't do a simple adjustment to the two accounts to make the money balance.

Congrats on your apartment, your dog, and good luck. I know how enormous $50 can be in a budget.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I wouldn't withhold the rent, but that's just me. Why don't you call the corporate office and see what's up?

I do like your letter, but I'm not sure if that will fly with the accounting office, they might consider that 'rent not paid' and start tacking on late fees.

What kind of dog did you get?
That's the dilemma. Then it seems like my only other option is to file a claim for the $50 with small claims court. Aye aye aye.

I got a rat terrier mix from the county shelter in Red Bluff. She's about 5 - 6 years old and came totally housetrained! She's a real joy. The shelter named her Ellie Mae. Tried to live with that name for a month and couldn't take it lol! So, her name is now Jackie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Don't withold rent. I changed your letter up a bit. You want to be firm about your money without sounding like a A. Good luck.
Oh, I like it. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I'm not sure exactly what the right thing is, but I will say that I'm surprised their accounting department can't do a simple adjustment to the two accounts to make the money balance.

Congrats on your apartment, your dog, and good luck. I know how enormous $50 can be in a budget.
I know! How hard can it be to move the funds around? I used to work at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing and was in charge of monitoring a huge budget, and it wasn't that huge of a deal to move money around if needed. I know they are a fairly big organization, but come on!

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. It's like being in the Twilight Zone here on the other side of the lease as a tenant LOL!

Old 12-26-2013, 11:44 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
2 points:

The word is waive, not wave. I agree with the changed letter. Be firm and clear about what you expect to be done. BTW, if you do not get the $50 before the next rent check is due, at that time send a new e-mail with a 7 day limit stating that after that date you will be charging a late-fee/interest in accordance with what would have been charged to you for a late rent payment since they are de facto refusing to return your paid deposit.

Rat terriers: first, I approve the name change. Being a foster, I can tell you that shelter dogs seem to be incredibly good pets and I give you big kudos for going that route. Also, I have no idea who picks out the names for these dogs but seriously, they don't work for the dog. Some are just not dog names and others just don't fit the dog. Jackie works great! And lastly, terriers - I love them but you need to be prepared to give them a good workout daily - they have high energy. And, they are hunters! If you have mice in your apt, you won't after having this dog - just leave the cabinet door open and "mouse begone". Terriers especially need a "tugging" toy - an old towel, piece of blanket and be prepared to have your arm whipped from side to side - it's a "terrier" thing. Looking forward to seeing you over in the pet forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting