Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 PM

241 posts, read 793,189 times

Advertisements

What exactly do you mean by renting "a shared room"? Sounds to me more like someone is trying to rent out a room in their apartment, and it's probably not allowed by their lease, so they don't want you contacting anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 5,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
What exactly do you mean by renting "a shared room"? Sounds to me more like someone is trying to rent out a room in their apartment, and it's probably not allowed by their lease, so they don't want you contacting anyone.
That's exactly what i was beginning to believe. He said that no one is on the lease except him and that people just rent from him.
I know the only way to truly find out is to see it for myself but it's gonna cost me over a 100 in gas and 10+ hours of my time. What do you think?

Last edited by accuracy101; 01-01-2014 at 07:43 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 08:10 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,919 times
dont waste your time and money. its in all likelihood a scam. if not a scam, sounds like a bad situation to get into.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:20 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Providing a false ID is easy for a scammer...western union is a huge NO when it comes to people advertising on craigslist and not able to meet in person!

How many more NO's do you need...I would walk after the first one!

It is always good to ask others if your gut feeling is telling you that something may be wrong and if you don't trust it than I already would not proceed since there are plenty of trust worthy places....and most important if the price is lower than else where that is usually also a sign of either the owner being in foreclosure or something else wrong.

Any letting image person wants to be able to check out the person who will rent their place and at least get a security deposit, etc.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accuracy101 View Post
That's exactly what i was beginning to believe. He said that no one is on the lease except him and that people just rent from him.
I know the only way to truly find out is to see it for myself but it's gonna cost me over a 100 in gas and 10+ hours of my time. What do you think?
100 bucks and 10 hours of your time vs. losing how much money? Did you say one month's rent plus deposit? How much would that be? That you can't get back because you paid with Western Union?

Your red flags are already waving. This is a guy who first wanted you to pay with Western Union and is being wishy washy about LL info, etc. Do you really want to hand this guy a personal check? So he has access to your entire checking account balance if he's a good thief?

As Oprah would say....Believe the first red flag...believe the second red flag.....

craigslist | about > scams

Old 01-01-2014, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
100 bucks and 10 hours of your time vs. losing how much money? Did you say one month's rent plus deposit? How much would that be? That you can't get back because you paid with Western Union?

Your red flags are already waving. This is a guy who first wanted you to pay with Western Union and is being wishy washy about LL info, etc. Do you really want to hand this guy a personal check? So he has access to your entire checking account balance if he's a good thief?

As Oprah would say....Believe the first red flag...believe the second red flag.....

craigslist | about > scams
Thanks for your feedback. It's not a matter of whether I'm willing to wire him money because it's out the equation...I'm not doing it. If a personal check is also unsafe what is the safest way to pay him the money in the case that i do take the trip and the apartment is legitimate? The reason I'm so persistent on this place is that it would a huge opportunity for me so i want to make sure I'm not passing it up. I'm also aware that i need to keep a level head and not jump into it without taking the necessary precautions.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. It's not a matter of whether I'm willing to wire him money because it's out the equation...I'm not doing it. If a personal check is also unsafe what is the safest way to pay him the money in the case that i do take the trip and the apartment is legitimate? The reason I'm so persistent on this place is that it would a huge opportunity for me so i want to make sure I'm not passing it up. I'm also aware that i need to keep a level head and not jump into it without taking the necessary precautions.
Anybody looking to rent a room out who first asks you to wire money via Western Union is not legitimate.

Everyone here says you should run away from this. If you want to persist and do it anyway, that's up to you.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:30 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,921 times
Many apartments in LA City fall under rent control. Even if he isn't really scamming you, he is probably scamming the rental company, which is still wrong. Right now you are considering renting , when you know that he is advertising that he is basically getting away with something, if you knowingly proceed, you put yourself in a very bad position in regards to having a place to stay or getting your money back.

There is a reason that people pay for services of real estate agents. If you don't have money, you have to do it yourself.

The driver license doesn't mean much , because you probably can't verify the accuracy. Phone numbers are way too easy to get today. I don't want to even get into Facebook.

Last edited by thelopez2; 01-02-2014 at 04:04 AM..

Old 01-02-2014, 03:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
If a personal check is also unsafe what is the safest way to pay him the money in the case that i do take the trip and the apartment is legitimate?
PayPal. It would take a couple of minutes for him to set up an account - if he has a regular bank account.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:55 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Many apartments in LA City fall under rent control. Even if he isn't really scamming you, he is probably scamming the rental company, which is still wrong. Right now you are considering renting , when you know that he is advertising that he is basically getting away with something, if you knowingly proceed, you put yourself in a very bad position in regards to having a place to stay or getting your money back.

There is a reason that people pay for services of real estate agents. If you don't have money, you have to do it yourself.

The driver license doesn't mean much , because you probably can't verify the accuracy. Phone numbers are way too easy to get today. I don't want to even get into Facebook.
In Florida you can check a drivers license but all you can see if it is a valid one or if it is suspended but you can't verify who it belongs to.

If someone is a legitimate owner/land lord than they will be able to show better proof.

We don't accept credit cards or Pay pal in our company but we are a licensed brokerage/property management company and are licensed through DBPR and everything is to be found online.

We have dealt with some owners who ended up leaving us to manage their own properties after they asked us to do things that are not legal or tried to have us to become slumlords due to not being willing to pay for repairs so we either could keep them with our rules and regulations and we deduct the repairs from the rent that are necessary under the law but they gave us notice and we didn't care since we got rid of horrible owners but sad for the tenants who got stuck with owners who we knew wouldn't do anything and all of these tenants ended up moving out at lease ends, but some were stuck for months in their lease.

Even more sad is that many were long time tenants, some even for years...since by that time the owners feel these tenants will stay anyway so why paying us if they can keep the money themselves and not do any repairs.

Having said this, the OP may end up with a legitimate owner but a slumlord like I described since all the ones I described started out as slumlords or owners who dealt with bad deals and than hired us to clean up the mess and when it is solved and good for some years their slummyness (that's a word we made up.lol) comes to the surface.

Saving money on rent can be an expensive one...so be warned and careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting