Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:58 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Take the pics now - just in case. I very much doubt there's anything you can do if the LL just doesn't want to replace the blinds but at least if, when you move, any attempt is made to charge you for damages to them you'll have proof of what they were like a month from when you moved in which should be more than adequate if needed.

The last place I lived in was only for a year but there were blinds in there that were very old, ratty and dysfunctional. The landlady didn't want to replace them (the place was unfurnished and they'd been left there by a previous tenant) but it was fine with her that I removed them, wrapped and put them in her storage area and then purchased a couple of my own. When I left I simply put back the ones which were there when I moved in and took the new ones with me as they were a standard size which would fit elsewhere.
Thanks for the advice. I will take pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Jared, did you mention the blinds in your walk-through? Have you also asked about having them replaced?

If so, it would be obvious that there was an issue with the blinds that you didn't cause, seems to me. I agree taking pics now would also be helpful.

I hate those types of blinds. Actually, the only really good thing about blinds is that they're cheap and easy to replace, so you can get a nice new clean look cheaply and easily.

If the LL says no, I'd do what STT did and take them down, keep them, and put up something that looks nice and works.

Agree with the others that you should haunt the LL about fixing the stove, though.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Go to Home Depot or Lowes to get some blind slat replacements. They are usually under $10 per window.

Since you already have the main mechanism for the vertical blinds in place (the bar that is installed at the top that the blind slats attach to), you only need to get some packages of slats.

Take a look at the top where the slats attach and bring a spare to the store. Match up to what they have for replacement slats. Home Depot/Lowes will cut the new slats to match your needs. If you bring an old slat from each window(mark in pencil which window it goes with)...then they can cut slats for each window. Measure the width of each window so you know how many slats to get.

Even if you have 10 windows, you should be able to walk away with $100 or less spent. If only a few windows, much less.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Jared, did you mention the blinds in your walk-through? Have you also asked about having them replaced?
Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
As for the blinds, he says that the owner of the property will not replace them.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:52 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
Make sure those pics are dated Jared. And keep a hard file of all pics and LL communications about the rental property. Rec't should go in there also.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:38 PM

232 posts, read 1,654,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Go to Home Depot or Lowes to get some blind slat replacements. They are usually under $10 per window.

Since you already have the main mechanism for the vertical blinds in place (the bar that is installed at the top that the blind slats attach to), you only need to get some packages of slats.

Take a look at the top where the slats attach and bring a spare to the store. Match up to what they have for replacement slats. Home Depot/Lowes will cut the new slats to match your needs. If you bring an old slat from each window(mark in pencil which window it goes with)...then they can cut slats for each window. Measure the width of each window so you know how many slats to get.

Even if you have 10 windows, you should be able to walk away with $100 or less spent. If only a few windows, much less.
This is what we needed to do. In our last apartment, our kids would break the blinds (they break very easily). We got a pack of replacements, and only needed a couple of slats. They were really cheap, around $10 for a pack of... 10 slats? Maybe more. For the apartment, we didn't need them cut. When we moved into our current rental, there were a lot of slats missing that the landlord wouldn't fix right away ("cosmetic" issue). We were able to cut some of the slats we had leftover and insert them as needed.

It's a really cheap fix. Sure, maybe you shouldn't "have to" pay for it, but it's cheap, and really isn't worth fighting over it.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:09 PM

Well the slats are just part of the problem. Most of the vertical blinds also have the plastic clip part that is broken as well. Are those replaceable? Anyway, thanks for all the help guys.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Well the slats are just part of the problem. Most of the vertical blinds also have the plastic clip part that is broken as well. Are those replaceable? Anyway, thanks for all the help guys.
Check Home Depot & Lowes - they have vertical blind replacement parts, even a kit. You would have to look at them to see if they would work for you, but they are cheap. If neither has the parts that you need, you can probably source the parts at a window covering store. They might need to see a whole unbroken part in order to match it up, but you will probably already have taken a part with you to HD or Lowes anyway, and so you will have it at the ready.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Check Home Depot & Lowes - they have vertical blind replacement parts, even a kit. You would have to look at them to see if they would work for you, but they are cheap. If neither has the parts that you need, you can probably source the parts at a window covering store. They might need to see a whole unbroken part in order to match it up, but you will probably already have taken a part with you to HD or Lowes anyway, and so you will have it at the ready.
Great, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting