Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 PM

52 posts, read 155,538 times

Advertisements

I know, I know this is every landlords worst nightmare and I certainly hate to be in this position, but here's the story:

I am a 23 year old female in the state of California. I signed a month-to-month lease in October of 2013 for a bedroom in a 4 bedroom house. The landlord doesnt live here, but his wife does (they are separated) along with 3 other renters. My friend, I'll call him Bob, found the room for me and agreed to pay my rent every month. The homeowners only speak Spanish and I cant understad them, so Bob did all the talking and basically figured out the whole thing for me.

Long story short, Bob stopped paying my rent and I havent been able to pay it for 2 months. On December 24, 2013 the landlord came to the house, knocked on my window, and told me to open the door. He then handed me a 3 day pay or leave notice, dated for December 27, 2013 (I believe holidays and weekends aren't included in the 3 day notice right? Is it still valid?)

So, in those 3 days I did some research on California tenant laws and am familiar with how the eviction procedure works. However, I believe my landlord and his wife aren't because they have been trying to forcefully remove me from their house. Multiple times a day the wife pounds on my door yelling in Spanish and tries to force open the locked door (I have the only key, they forgot to make a copy) and then she goes to my window and opens it and tries to get in. She has been doing this almost everyday for a few weeks now!

I have been waiting for the actual landlord (not his wife!!) To hand me an unlawful detainment notice but he hasn't yet. I assumed he knew the process but apparently he doesn't and I need advice on how to handle this.

Should I write them a letter explaining the right way to handle the situation so they don't do anything they aren't supposed to? Please put all personal judgement aside, I just need to handle this the right way. If I did't have this room I would be homeless and this is my only option right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:35 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,737 times
How dare they try to kick out someone not paying rent.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:37 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
Really. The nerve...

Old 01-05-2014, 06:41 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
I am not familiar with the laws in California. Since you have taken "Bob's" word for everything there might be issues that you are unaware of. For instance, they might not have a month to month agreement at all. They might be charging by the week (Bob just paid four weeks at a time) and if that is the case, if California law is like Missouri law, they do not have to go through eviction proceedings because weekly tenants do not fall under the landord/tenant statutes but rather the same statutes as hotels and motels do.

My advice to you is to get out and find another place to live, and while you are at it, find a job, or some source of income that will allow you to pay your own way and not rely on charity or a hand out to life. Have some self respect.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-05-2014, 06:41 PM

I know how it sounds but I just need to know what I should do. I could be a tenant from hell but I wish to resolve this peacefully. I've stopped using the electricity in my room and basically just use the house to sleep until I find a better situation. I'm young still and making mistakes, how else am I supposed to learn?

It is a monthly lease, not a weekly lease. I have a copy.

I do have a job but at the moment I'm not financially secure. I dont want to be homeless I just graduated college and made a risky move here.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
What the heck is wrong with you? Get out.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Tomorrow morning call the local Legal Aid office and tell them what your problem is. Follow their advice.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,969 times
Why haven't you paid your rent? Where is this Bob guy now? You have NOTHING to pay at all? I'm sure if you had tried to pay something they would have been more lenient with you.

You are lucky they don't wait until you are gone, throw your stuff on the curb, and change the locks.

I would find someone willing to take me in and get out now before it gets more ugly.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:39 PM

403 posts, read 867,774 times
Read your post..I'm sure you will realize how nuts you sound. I'm sure the bank that holds my mortgage is willing to support me if I don't feel like paying. Duh. Move out. You have no right there without paying your rent. It's a simple concept. As for the "real landlord", if they are married then she is your landlord, get over it, grow up & pay or move.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:43 PM

I honestly have nowhere to go... no family, all my friends still live with their parents. Mine are dead. I'm going through a rough time. Is there some sort of legal aid I can get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting