Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:09 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times

Advertisements

I've never been evicted, but my credit is trashed, so I avoid all professional property management, avoid all screening fees, and go directly to the "rooms" section on Craigslist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 06:47 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've never been evicted, but my credit is trashed, so I avoid all professional property management, avoid all screening fees, and go directly to the "rooms" section on Craigslist.
More consequences of bad decisions.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:00 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
"oh i'm not allowed to tell you that, you'll need to get a lawyer"
Ask to talk to a supervisor.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
More consequences of bad decisions.

Such as?

Old 10-02-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Such as?
Oh, where to begin. Having a college degree, but being satisfied with working minimum wage jobs your whole life. Getting a loan for that education, but not getting a good job, then being unable to pay back that loan. Not preparing for illness that came many years after getting that degree and working.

That'll do for a start. If you disagree, you must feel that these are NOT your actions. Right?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Oh, where to begin. Having a college degree, but being satisfied with working minimum wage jobs your whole life. Getting a loan for that education, but not getting a good job, then being unable to pay back that loan. Not preparing for illness that came many years after getting that degree and working.

That'll do for a start. If you disagree, you must feel that these are NOT your actions. Right?

Where did you EVER get the idea I've been satisfied with working minimum wage jobs? Millions of student loan borrowers didn't get a good job, did they also make bad decisions? Being unable to pay back that loan was a bad decision? What about those who came later and thus were able to qualify for monthly payments of zero? They 'made' the same 'decision' as I, so if their decision is not bad why is mine bad? Not preparing for illness while earning a hair above minimum wage is a bad decision? Who expects $7.50/hr workers to prepare for illness AND repay student loans at the same time? Clearly, Congress does not. Do you know more than Congress?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Where did you EVER get the idea I've been satisfied with working minimum wage jobs? Millions of student loan borrowers didn't get a good job, did they also make bad decisions? Being unable to pay back that loan was a bad decision? What about those who came later and thus were able to qualify for monthly payments of zero? They 'made' the same 'decision' as I, so if their decision is not bad why is mine bad? Not preparing for illness while earning a hair above minimum wage is a bad decision? Who expects $7.50/hr workers to prepare for illness AND repay student loans at the same time? Clearly, Congress does not. Do you know more than Congress?
Actually, I'm pretty sure I DO know more than Congress.

I get the idea that you are satisfied with working MW jobs because for 30 years, in spite of having a college degree, you still work at a MW job. I, on the other hand, was NOT satisfied with that and took steps to move up the wage ladder. This in spite of NOT having a college degree and being a woman.

Those student loan borrowers did make bad decisions. They didn't get jobs that enabled them to pay back their loans. Being unable (or unwilling) to pay back a loan means you are a deadbeat. Same if you don't pay back a home loan, a car loan, etc. Did I mention that even though I never got a degree, I did have student loans, and managed to pay them back. On time. In full. Yea, I think I mentioned that.

Those that came later don't matter at all. That's just envy talking. They negotiated their loan, you negotiated yours.

Not preparing for ANYTHING while earning MW is a bad decision. You should have taken steps to earn a better wage. You've had 30 years.

Nobody expects MW workers to prepare for illness and repay student loans. They expect that you will take that degree that was paid for with that loan and earn a decent income.

And we're back to Congress. Yup, I'm sure I know more than Congress......

Old 10-02-2014, 01:32 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Looks like we are out in the rough again on this one...

Please post related to topic...

Old 10-02-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure I DO know more than Congress.

I get the idea that you are satisfied with working MW jobs because for 30 years, in spite of having a college degree, you still work at a MW job. I, on the other hand, was NOT satisfied with that and took steps to move up the wage ladder. This in spite of NOT having a college degree and being a woman.

Those student loan borrowers did make bad decisions. They didn't get jobs that enabled them to pay back their loans. Being unable (or unwilling) to pay back a loan means you are a deadbeat. Same if you don't pay back a home loan, a car loan, etc. Did I mention that even though I never got a degree, I did have student loans, and managed to pay them back. On time. In full. Yea, I think I mentioned that.

Those that came later don't matter at all. That's just envy talking. They negotiated their loan, you negotiated yours.

Not preparing for ANYTHING while earning MW is a bad decision. You should have taken steps to earn a better wage. You've had 30 years.

Nobody expects MW workers to prepare for illness and repay student loans. They expect that you will take that degree that was paid for with that loan and earn a decent income.

And we're back to Congress. Yup, I'm sure I know more than Congress......

Those that came later negotiated the same loan I did, until Congress subsequently and unilaterally extended to them a freebie in the form of Income Based Repayment. I could even argue that people like me were the sine qua non without whom later borrowers would never have been extended the benefit of Income Based Repayment.

I didn't have the money to retrain, did you expect me to prepare for illness, repay student loans, and pay for more training at the same time?

Old 10-02-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Those that came later negotiated the same loan I did, until Congress subsequently and unilaterally extended to them a freebie in the form of Income Based Repayment. I could even argue that people like me were the sine qua non without whom later borrowers would never have been extended the benefit of Income Based Repayment.

I didn't have the money to retrain, did you expect me to prepare for illness, repay student loans, and pay for more training at the same time?
I didn't have the money, either. And I didn't have a degree, which would have at least gotten a foot a door. But I did have a brain, and took it upon myself to learn on my own. And learn on the job. And learn from people that were in my field. And read books. All before the internet. It's called initiative. And why some people are ahead even without paying for training, and some people are still slinging burgers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting