Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:17 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,160,538 times

Advertisements

I agree with the others - just put your foot down and say NO. It's illegal, you'd have no lease - that is just asking for trouble. If your wife wants to be charitable, she can donate to a homeless or women/children shelter perhaps.

Good luck! Just say NO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:17 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
Thanks for the comments. Keep em coming.

I had not thought about the insurance issue. That is something to look into.

In order to separate the dogs it would require cross fencing and with the way the driveway runs it would have to be a tiny portion of the yard. She actually suggested this. I don't know where the money would come from-the only place it could would be our emergency money or investments. She actually asked me the other day if we did not have the dogs would I feel differently. We both love the dogs but for her to imply restricting their yard space simply to rent the guest house under these circumstances is crazy and way out of character.

She seems to think that since we can't have a lease we would have to rent to people we know-and it would all be puppies and rainbows since we know them.

While our daughter (now 29) was in the house she would periodically ask if one of her friends could rent out our spare bedroom (in the main house) until they "get on their feet". My response was always the same: "We are not running a homeless shelter". Mom would have allowed this, but luckily always deferred to me.

I can't believe how far out she is on this issue.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
An illegal contract is not enforceable. This could result in so many nasty scenarios.

Tell your wife it would be like feeding feral cats in the back yard. Now it's cheap rent, then it's no money for rent, then it's can they borrow some food, then will you watch my kid...

Let alone the dogs, potential noise, who knows who they would let move in, cars all over the place. Building inspectors...

Sooooo many reasons not to do this.

How about you and your wife sit down with a notebook and put a line down the middle of a page, put pros on one side and cons on the other...

She sounds like a kind soul - and a real target for losers. Good thing she has you .

Old 01-30-2014, 07:06 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
I suggest you get out to your guest house tomorrow AM and start turning it into a workshop / man cave before your wife has a chance to do anything else with it. Bring out your power tools, every piece of wood you can find, wrenches and nails,etc. Tell her it's all yours now and you are going to use it for yourself. Start a project even if it's just an elaborate, custom, totally unnecessary dog house.

Something weird is going on with your wife. Very few people would be willing to give up their dogs to rent an illegal guest house below market rent.

What part of illegal does your wife not understand ? Does she realize the potential impact that could have on your insurance just in general or if someone renting got hurt and sued you. What happens if the town finds out and issues you a cease and desist order. Then what happens when you can't evict the tenants and the town starts fining you by the day.

Someone has to be the adult in this situation. Right now it's not your wife. Just keep saying " no", before you wind up in a financial and legal mess.

Basically your wife has too much time on her hands. She wants to do good. She may miss having the mother there. The fact that she wants to rent to someone she knows for cheap may indicate she is feeling lonely. However, you can't let her wreck your property and finances with some screwy scheme.
Maybe your wife needs a hobby. Work on it with her. Get her used to being away from the house without you. She needs lady friends, things to do with them, volunteer work, etc. Her loneliness has to be fixed off site, not by illegal tenants with no money who will ********* over for sure.

Be strong, be the adult, protect yourselves

Old 01-30-2014, 07:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Only one answer: it is illegal to do it . . . therefore, you don't do it.

PS> Great, superb, excellent idea in re: to turning the guest house into a studio, private office, man cave, whatever.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Suggest your wife volunteer for a charity or homeless shelter if she sincerely wants to help the destitute. The idea of renting out your guest house should be a non starter for innumerable reasons already mentioned.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 PM

6,822 posts, read 11,553,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post

She seems to think that since we can't have a lease we would have to rent to people we know-and it would all be puppies and rainbows since we know them.

The whole idea is idiotic, and especially renting to people you know. PLEASE have her read several,pages of posts in this forum. And when she says, "the people we would rent to wouldn't ever do that," tell her every poster thought that way going in.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
The juice isn't worth the squeeze. You have a few things against you
Dogs can be a liability for you (biting or possibly attacking the tenant)
Zoning laws
Low rent price

I'm sure you know this but in order to do something it has to be worth something. The liabilities and risk outweigh the financial gains IMO. Hey I made a decision to never rent to friends or family. Pretty hard but IMO it's probably one of the decisions I made

Old 01-30-2014, 09:55 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Illegal So you be Facing Fines & perhaps jail time! Just Say NO! As for the dogs you could add another fence so to me that's not important.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:43 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Not sure if it's been said but your homeowners insurance may not cover you if something happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting