Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
If I ever rent from a landlord who isn't worthy of a slap upside the head, I might. My experience with landlords has never been good; they always find a way to screw me over. Always.
My experience with tennents has been good and in the few instances when it has not been... it's almost never because they wanted "To screw me over"

Quite the contrary, my bad tenant experiences mostly have been to Husband/Wife Break-ups and especially from Boyfriend/Girlfriend break-ups.

Everything changes when a couple is going through a break-up... paying the rent no longer matters and often both parties just don't care anymore.

I do my best to be pragmatic and not take sides. Sometimes, it's best just say it didn't work out and help everyone on their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 AM

177 posts, read 924,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My experience with tennents has been good and in the few instances when it has not been... it's almost never because they wanted "To screw me over"

Quite the contrary, my bad tenant experiences mostly have been to Husband/Wife Break-ups and especially from Boyfriend/Girlfriend break-ups.

Everything changes when a couple is going through a break-up... paying the rent no longer matters and often both parties just don't care anymore.

I do my best to be pragmatic and not take sides. Sometimes, it's best just say it didn't work out and help everyone on their way.
I don't know why so many people feel they have to share an apartment with every person they date. I have friends who move in with a dude within a month or 2 of dating. Of course when they break up one of them has to move and other other one thinks they still have an obligation to pay the rent and bills. I can't figure out why people put themselves in that position.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopuffy View Post
I don't know why so many people feel they have to share an apartment with every person they date. I have friends who move in with a dude within a month or 2 of dating. Of course when they break up one of them has to move and other other one thinks they still have an obligation to pay the rent and bills. I can't figure out why people put themselves in that position.
It has become a real problem for many owners and renters. The sad truth is that many Boyfriend/Girlfriend tenancies seldom last.

As part of my application process, I go to great lengths to explain why we require an individual application from all adults to eliminate surprises down the road. Each Adult on the rental agreement is individually responsible for the rent and or damages during the term of the agreement... even if they no longer live there.

The biggest problems arise when one moves out and the other wants that person locked out or the moved out person wants his or her name removed from the rental agreement.

Part of being an effective Property Manager requires patience and the ability explain obligations as they relate to the rental agreement.

Domestic disputes are the most difficult to effectively deal with. Some people just cannot understand why, I as the property owner, have no authority to prevent someone on the lease from entering the apartment they pay rent for.

My advice to anyone... Think very carefully before you obligate yourself with someone else to pay rent... just how well do you know that person and are you willing and able to cover their share of the rent should something happen?

Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,375,086 times
The answer is quite simple. There aren't as many middle class jobs like there used to be. This results in a lot of people in their 20s, even college grads, being forced to either live at home with their parents or shack up with their boyfriend/girlfriend in order to pay the rent. I'm in my 20s and have many friends in the NYC area who are forced into this situation.

Back in the day a guy could go out and get a good Union job with only a High School degree and raise a family on a single income. Those types of jobs are for the most part long gone. Now most of the jobs at the lower end of the spectrum (retail, restaurants, bank tellers, etc) for people without college education sdon't pay enough to cover the bills.

Even with a college degree most corporate jobs start in the $30k range in the NYC area. Even very cheap areas a 1br apartment starts at around $800-900 in this region. Paying for an apartment like that is very difficult on a $30k salary.

So I think we can thank all of our local Robber Barron CEOs and political overlords for this mess. Ah, our fearless leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopuffy View Post

Old 12-07-2007, 07:03 PM

I can only speak from my experience...

I've only encountered problems with couples.... boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife and one gay couple. The operative seems to be "Couple"

I've never had problems when renting to all men or all women.

I think the "Couple" dynamic comes into play because expectations are so much higher...

Old 12-07-2007, 10:38 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,153,611 times
Quote:
If I ever rent from a landlord who isn't worthy of a slap upside the head, I might. My experience with landlords has never been good; they always find a way to screw me over. Always.
Loved this negative reputation comment...no name, as always:

Quote:
measpirited, ignornant, self-serving, prejudicial, and likely to start unproductive conversation. learn to write with more taste and respect. your style reflects poorly on you. inappropriate way to state your position.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:56 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,375,086 times
ha, I agree with what you said, that land lords will always try to screw their tenants.

However as a corrolary, tenants will always try to screw their landlords over. So its a 2 way street.

The only way to avoid this vicious circle is to own. That is my plan, but probably not for another decade or so.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:49 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,153,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
ha, I agree with what you said, that land lords will always try to screw their tenants.

However as a corrolary, tenants will always try to screw their landlords over. So its a 2 way street.
And how would I do that? By paying my rent on time? By keeping the place neat and clean? By not violating the terms of my lease?

Quote:
The only way to avoid this vicious circle is to own. That is my plan, but probably not for another decade or so.
I owned in England. I plan to own again soon. Renting sucks. I'm sick of making someone else a fat profit.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:30 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,947,795 times
Quote:
And how would I do that? By paying my rent on time? By keeping the place neat and clean? By not violating the terms of my lease?
Let's see, these are common things that are done to "screw" the landlord:
  1. Not paying your rent on time,
  2. Paying only a portion of it and then asking for extensions,
  3. Treating the property poorly,
  4. Abusing appliances and plumbing,
  5. Taking off in the middle of the night while still owing past rent,
  6. Expecting the landord to apply the security deposit to the last month's rent,
  7. Demanding the full return of the deposit after the property has been ruined beyond normal wear and tear,
  8. Not complying with community CCR's when they've been provided and the tenant has and signed that they'll follow them,
  9. Trying to change the terms of a lease after they've ageed to it (i.e. leaving before the end of it),
  10. Bringing in other residents not approved in the lease,
  11. Subletting the property in violation of the lease.
. . . that should be a beginning as to how tenants can "screw" the landlord. It's certainly a list of the more common things a landlord has to experience.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:27 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,379,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
Let's see, these are common things that are done to "screw" the landlord:
  1. Not paying your rent on time,
  2. Paying only a portion of it and then asking for extensions,
  3. Treating the property poorly,
  4. Abusing appliances and plumbing,
  5. Taking off in the middle of the night while still owing past rent,
  6. Expecting the landord to apply the security deposit to the last month's rent,
  7. Demanding the full return of the deposit after the property has been ruined beyond normal wear and tear,
  8. Not complying with community CCR's when they've been provided and the tenant has and signed that they'll follow them,
  9. Trying to change the terms of a lease after they've ageed to it (i.e. leaving before the end of it),
  10. Bringing in other residents not approved in the lease,
  11. Subletting the property in violation of the lease.
. . . that should be a beginning as to how tenants can "screw" the landlord. It's certainly a list of the more common things a landlord has to experience.
how does bringing in another tenant screw the land lord?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting