Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM

38 posts, read 38,001 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I rent a townhouse from my landlord and have 2 roommates; they have signed subleases with me that are 12 months long. My lease with the landlord is month to month. The roommates moved in at different times. One's sublease will be up in a few months; the other not for almost one year. I may or may not be looking at leaving the area in about 6 months. I don't know why I didn't make this most recent sublease a 6 month instead of a 12 months - because, does this mean I must stay for the 12 months although my original lease states month to month? Think I've confused myself. I'm in Virginia.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 06:46 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I'm not so sure that your sublease agreements are even legal since you don't have the right to sublease for any period longer than your main lease. Did your LL give you permission to sublease?

Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jky123 View Post
I rent a townhouse from my landlord and have 2 roommates;
they have signed subleases with me that are 12 months long.
Is the landlord aware of and approving of this arrangement?

Quote:
My lease with the landlord is month to month.
No it isn't. By definition... a lease REQUIRES a fixed term.
Month to month is a whole other can of worms.

Quote:
The roommates moved in at different times.
One's sublease will be up in a few months; the other not for almost one year.
I may or may not be looking at leaving the area in about 6 months.
non-sequitur

Quote:
Think I've confused myself.
I'll agree.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:22 PM

My lease is month to month, actually. Yep, approval to sublease from landlord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Is the landlord aware of and approving of this arrangement?

No it isn't. By definition... a lease REQUIRES a fixed term.
Month to month is a whole other can of worms.

non-sequitur

I'll agree.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:32 PM

In any case, what would you recommend I do at this point.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:36 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
You have a month-to-month rental agreement,not a long-term lease. As such, while you have executed 12-month sub-leases, as the sub-lease is subject to the primary lease terms, it is only month-to-month as well. Therefore, if you end the lease prior to the expiration of the sub-lease, it is the same as if the landlord decided to end the rental agreement. Ends at the end of the month.

Your sub-leasee may be ticked off at you, but unless you specifically made representations as to the lease not being cancelable and not being a month-to-month lease, I don't see any issues with you packing it in. However, if you represented you as being able to fully comply with the 12-month terms, you may have issues.

It all depends on whether you did verbal agreements, or If you have signed agreements, and then what the specific wording is.

I would give a significant notice to your sub-lease individuals just as a matter of decency.

Finally, if you have any questions, go get an hour's time from an attorney.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:49 PM

Gotcha- thanks so much.
Just spoke with roommates and everything is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
You have a month-to-month rental agreement,not a long-term lease. As such, while you have executed 12-month sub-leases, as the sub-lease is subject to the primary lease terms, it is only month-to-month as well. Therefore, if you end the lease prior to the expiration of the sub-lease, it is the same as if the landlord decided to end the rental agreement. Ends at the end of the month.

Your sub-leasee may be ticked off at you, but unless you specifically made representations as to the lease not being cancelable and not being a month-to-month lease, I don't see any issues with you packing it in. However, if you represented you as being able to fully comply with the 12-month terms, you may have issues.

It all depends on whether you did verbal agreements, or If you have signed agreements, and then what the specific wording is.

I would give a significant notice to your sub-lease individuals just as a matter of decency.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:28 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post

I disagree, 55-248-4 clearly makes the OP a landlord under the VRLTA subject to all provisions of the law. The lease the OP has with the subtenants are also enforcable as a lease upon all parties to that agreement. It is true that the sublease will not obligate the OP's landlord to honor the sublease (unless a signatory to it) but, 55-248-21 allowes a court to impose all the lawful penalties and damages they see fit on the OP for violating the terms of the lease the OP had with their subtenants.

The OP can ask the tenants if they would like to sign a new lease for a shorter term but if they refuse, the OP can't take any legal action without violating the law as the subtenants have a legal sublease for a fixed term that is protected by the VRLTA. Also if the OP does ask them to end the lease earlier because of the OP's month to month, the subtenants must be told they are not legally obligated to nend it earlya nd can hold the landlord )(OP) to the terms of their lease. Not doing so could result in statutory penalties on top of any other damages and penalites for the lease violation.

I do agree that a lot will depend on the actual wording and if it is in writing. I also agree the OP needs to be seeking competent legal advice on this as they could be on the hook for damages and penalties if the subtenants are forced to leave before the stated end of their fixed term lease.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:12 AM

Worst comes to worst, I'll stay the 12 mos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting