Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:12 PM

35 posts, read 52,469 times

Advertisements

Sup guys, I'm in New Mexico and have a few renting questions, and if any of you can help, that'd be great!

So, like, my apartment is turning on the air conditioning soon (thank the gods!) and I got a notice on my door today that said something along the lines of I'm supposed to just be ready for someone I don't know to just show up and come into my apartment sometime between the 12th and 30th of May, and that they'll only come during the office's business hours, which narrows it down to 9 days they can come. Oh, and we can't schedule appointments. And the apartment is only open 3 days a week.
I've got two dogs. One of them is very temperamental around strange men, especially if my boyfriend isn't home. When I signed my lease, there was this thing that said my land lord needs to give me 24 hours written notice of intent to enter my apartment. So, I figured "oh, if they ever need to come into the apartment, they'll let me know at least a day so I can make sure my dog's put up and I'm not there," but that's not the case. I'm just supposed to keep my dogs locked up for 9 days if I go anywhere,

Does giving me like, 22-DAY notice count as my required 24 hour notice? Because I'mma be pretty peeved if that's the case. I don't know how many apartments are here, but there's a lot...It's not a high-rise building, but instead a community of townhouses.

I'd love to just leave my dogs out and go out for the days they're supposed to be here, but since I'm a responsible, tax-paying adult, I can't do that...Also the note on the door requested that we put our pets up if we leave, so that'd just be a d-bag move, lol.

Another question: Can I like, change the locks and not let them have a key until this whole ordeal is over with? Because in the past, I've been in the bathroom (where I can't hear if someone's at the door) and my boyfriend in the other room wearing headphones while he games up stairs in a closed off room with the dogs, only to be greeted by a confused maintenance man who thought that no one was home. Kinda scary, but this was at a different apartment and he was there roughly 3 months after we put a repair order in that we completely forgot about.

Lastly: How do I passively tell my neighbors not to steal my street parking spot? We got new neighbors, and even when there is ample parking elsewhere, and closer to their apartments, my neighbors choose to steal my spot. D< If they moved their car one foot forward, I could fit behind him but nooo. Ugh.

So yeah, advise me on things if you know anything that can help! Personal experience is a plus!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Parking Space. Is this an assigned parking spot? Is it an actual use or an encroachment? Usually you leave a note and if that doesn't work, complain to the landlord. If its your assigned spot by the landlord, its the landlord's duty to ensure no other tenants is using your assigned spot.

Changing locks are considered a modification of the premise and usually prohibited by the lease without the landlord's written permission. Does you lease give you permission to change locks and/or withold a key from the landlrod? If the lease prohibits it, or is silent, changing the locks and not giving the landlord the keys would be considered a breech of the lease by you.

Entry periods. NM law gives the landlord the right to enter upon proper notice to the tenat. The notice does satisfy NM law. However, NM also requires the landlord to be reasonable in their request/notification and not abuse the request/notices, as such you have the right to ask the landlord to narrow down the time period. It would not be considered a denial if you ask for the exact date instead of some open period. Knowing a day or two out is not the same as sometimes in the enxt few weeks they will be there.

Because this is a grey area of NM law, you should seek competent legal advice on your rights and responsibilites as outlined in NM law and your lease.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:38 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
Definitely don't change the locks, tell the other tenant to please move over if they are blocking your spot (I'm assuming it's assigned), and just ask for a day when they will come and cite your dogs as the issue.

Anytime you put in service requests you can say "you must schedule a time, I have dogs." Most people would rather work with you because they don't want to get bitten by a dog The maintenance people usually aren't told you have pets or not.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Parking Space. Is this an assigned parking spot? Is it an actual use or an encroachment? Usually you leave a note and if that doesn't work, complain to the landlord. If its your assigned spot by the landlord, its the landlord's duty to ensure no other tenants is using your assigned spot.

Changing locks are considered a modification of the premise and usually prohibited by the lease without the landlord's written permission. Does you lease give you permission to change locks and/or withold a key from the landlrod? If the lease prohibits it, or is silent, changing the locks and not giving the landlord the keys would be considered a breech of the lease by you.

Entry periods. NM law gives the landlord the right to enter upon proper notice to the tenat. The notice does satisfy NM law. However, NM also requires the landlord to be reasonable in their request/notification and not abuse the request/notices, as such you have the right to ask the landlord to narrow down the time period. It would not be considered a denial if you ask for the exact date instead of some open period. Knowing a day or two out is not the same as sometimes in the enxt few weeks they will be there.

Because this is a grey area of NM law, you should seek competent legal advice on your rights and responsibilites as outlined in NM law and your lease.
Parking space: No, I'll just suck it up I guess

Changing locks: That's completely understandable. I'd want them to get in if there was a fire or something but otherwise I don't like the fact anyone can get in :/

Entry periods: Yes I'm trying to do this but I don't have much money currently :< So I can write a letter politely asking that I be given the exact date they'll visit or at least tell me "They'll hit your place on Wednesday or Friday of next week?" and it wouldn't be in vain?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Definitely don't change the locks, tell the other tenant to please move over if they are blocking your spot (I'm assuming it's assigned), and just ask for a day when they will come and cite your dogs as the issue.

Anytime you put in service requests you can say "you must schedule a time, I have dogs." Most people would rather work with you because they don't want to get bitten by a dog The maintenance people usually aren't told you have pets or not.
If I ever change my locks, my landlord's getting the key before I'm done putting the locks on!

And unfortunately, my parking is unassigned. But everyone seems to park in the same place most of the time, I'll just suck it up haha

I've never thought about using the dogs as an actual excuse because it's the truth. I'll have to try that, or at least put a sign on the door that says I have to put them up so don't leave if I don't answer right away

Old 05-09-2014, 09:55 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
As far as maintenance people coming in when you don't hear them knock? Do you have a deadbolt or chain? Use them when you are in the apartment.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedHarls View Post

I'd love to just leave my dogs out and go out for the days they're supposed to be here, but since I'm a responsible, tax-paying adult, I can't do that...Also the note on the door requested that we put our pets up if we leave, so that'd just be a d-bag move, lol.!
Is there anything preventing you from simply communicating your concerns about the dogs to your LL and asking that you be given a firm date?

Old 05-10-2014, 09:13 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You did get your legal notice that they are coming in. It far exceeds the requirement to give a minimum of 24 hours notice.

Get a couple of crates for your dogs and crate them. Call the office and see if you can have a bit more heads up so that you don't have to confine the dogs for the entire week. The management probably doesn't know when the AC techs will be there You get them when they show up. The office might be able to call you on the morning of the service, as a courtesy, if you will not complain that it is not a 24 hour notice.

You could always do without the AC, but I suspect you would be complaining about that, too.

If the parking is street parking, then the space isn't yours. If your car would fit if the neighbor moved forward a few inches, ask him politely, in person. Don't be claiming that is your space, but ask if he can park a few inches further in, and he might make an effort, because you are not asking for much.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Is there anything preventing you from simply communicating your concerns about the dogs to your LL and asking that you be given a firm date?
Severe social anxiety, and the very limited office hours! I wanted to just drop a note in the rent-drop box after hours, but now that I've thought about it, they probably wouldn't get it until next month...

Old 05-10-2014, 05:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedHarls View Post
Severe social anxiety, and the very limited office hours! I wanted to just drop a note in the rent-drop box after hours, but now that I've thought about it, they probably wouldn't get it until next month...
Do you suffer from social anxiety when talking to someone from the electric company when making payments; at the bank when depositing money; at the Post Office when picking up a package? This is strictly a business matter and if the business hours are limited and you can't get there physically when the office is open then you can make a 'phone call or send an email. Does your boyfriend live with you? If so and he's a legal occupant then have him take care of it. This isn't an insurmountable problem, just a common everyday occurrence to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting