Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 PM

5 posts, read 5,544 times

Advertisements

I'm in California. I gave a deposit of $950 for a deposit. Manager called me next day after applying saying credit looks good bring a $950 deposit, dumb me didn't ask for a receipt. He never specified it would be a holding deposit. I called him a few days later asking if he had the contract for us to review and he said come over any day and bring it signed the day you move in which was supposed to be Augusts 1st. After driving around the neighborhood at night saw it's very dark and all kinds of people use alley behind the apartment building, That's my fault should checked before, I decided not to move in. Called him June 9th, 13 days after gave deposit to let him know. Asked for pro-rated part of deposit, but landlord said no, and to be grateful they were not gonna hold me accountable for rest of 1 year lease. Even after giving a deposit, never sign lease or discussed lease terms, I'm trying to get deposited back minus pro rated rent for the days unit was off the market. I'm also worry if I take it to small claims they can make me pay for time unit it's not rented. Any light would be so much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I have a sense you aren't for real. In case you are, or for future readers, here are tenants' rights in CA:

Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Landlords cannot have a non-refundable deposit. They can only charge you for actual out-of-pocket losses. If they never even approved your application yet, they can't charge you anything.

They would have had to approved you, and held the apt for you, for them to be able to charge you a holding deposit. In other words, it would have to be YOUR delay in signing a lease that caused them to lose money.

Write them a letter telling them you will sue in small claims court and ask for your court costs and punitive damages in addition to the money you already gave them, if they don't give you your money back right now.

If they balk, say, fine, I'll sue you and accept whatever the judge says. See you in court.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:33 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I am with No Snow. If you cannot tolerate the lease, tell the landlord "see you in court." And file a complaint in small claims court to recover your deposit. post back here before you do this because there are tricks to messing with people in small claims court that I will offer.

Nothing wrong in small claims court to increasing your opponent's misery index. I have the 411 on how to do that.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:17 PM

Mr.no more snow. Wonder why you think why I'm nor for real, but yes I am for real. Thank you for your advice.

And mr. Love hound. mind sharing that advice. I'm seriously thinking about taking him to small claim. Just wondering if it can backfire meaning they'll make me pay for time until unit it's rented, if that's the case I won't even bother.

Last edited by jenjeny; 07-14-2014 at 09:25 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 09:30 PM

Mr. Love hound. mind sharing that advice. I'm seriously thinking about taking him to small claim. Also wondering if it can backfire meaning they'll make me pay for time until unit it's rented, if that's the case I won't even bother.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjeny View Post
Mr.no more snow. Wonder why you think why I'm nor for real, but yes I am for real. Thank you for your advice.

And mr. Love hound. mind sharing that advice. I'm seriously thinking about taking him to small claim. Just wondering if it can backfire meaning they'll make me pay for time until unit it's rented, if that's the case I won't even bother.
I'm wonder why Im think you not for real too. don no. maybe fake assent.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjeny View Post
... I gave a deposit of $950 for a deposit. Manager called me next day after applying saying credit looks good bring a $950 deposit, dumb me didn't ask for a receipt. He never specified it would be a holding deposit. I called him a few days later asking if he had the contract for us to review and he said come over any day and bring it signed the day you move in which was supposed to be Augusts 1st. After driving around the neighborhood at night saw it's very dark and all kinds of people use alley behind the apartment building, That's my fault should checked before, I decided not to move in. Called him June 9th, 13 days after gave deposit to let him know. Asked for pro-rated part of deposit, but landlord said no, and to be grateful they were not gonna hold me accountable for rest of 1 year lease. Even after giving a deposit, never sign lease or discussed lease terms, I'm trying to get deposited back minus pro rated rent for the days unit was off the market. I'm also worry if I take it to small claims they can make me pay for time unit it's not rented. Any light would be so much appreciated
I'm afraid you made a fatal mistake. First of all, your language is not clear so I take that to mean that you DID NOT sign any lease. Tell us if this is incorrect.

If you did not sign any lease then the landlord cannot hold your deposit back. You have no legally binding contract.

However... Big HOWEVER!!! This is the fatal mistake. You paid cash and did not get a receipt!!! NEVER PAY CASH WITHOUT GETTING A RECEIPT!!! If you paid by check, tell us. That would change everything.

You are in the position that you have no proof you paid anything. You have placed your $950 in the hands of a stranger who may or may not be honest.

As far as small claims court, rule #1 is bring all your documentation. You have none. You can proceed with the case and hope the landlord will state the truth in court. Who knows? Apparently the landlord has no documentation either. That turns this into a "he said, she said" case.

I advise you should investigate the filing fee of bringing suit in small claims court, and also the service fee to serve the defendant a subpoena to appear. Decide if you want to gamble that landlord is honest, because if I understand the facts of your case -- if landlord says "what deposit?" you lose. You also lose your filing fee and service fee.

NASTY TRICKS FOR SMALL CLAIMS COURT 101:

OP, do not follow this part. You are already on thin ice. I use these tactics when I hold all the cards, and only when I hold all the cards!

1. Send a demand letter via registered or certified mail.

2. If no response within 30 days, I head on down to small claims court and get the proper forms. I add the disputed amount plus filing fee plus service fee and that is the amount I file my lawsuit is for: disputed amount plus my court costs. I file it.

3. For service, in my area usually a Marshall, I add to the subpoena, "I understand tenant works early shift and I request delivery before 6:00 a.m." <evil grin>

That last part is for "mess with me and you will end up waking up to a law enforcement lawyer pounding on your front door at 5:30 a.m." Wakey, wakey!

4. Finally, appear on your court date with all your documentation and hope defendant shows up with no documentation, or is late, or shows up with only a dumb look on their face.

Documentation always beats a dumb look on a face plus a rambling story. Also, I speak well in court, I'm not embarrassed to speak in front of an audience, and I stick to the shortest explanation that conveys all the facts. I imagine the judge is very bored -- this is not like Court TV -- and I'm sure my brevity is appreciated.

I tell my story and hand my documentation to the court clerk. Defendant states their side of the case. Judge considers, then renders a verdict. -- collecting is another matter and I'll cover that another day in SMALL CLAIMS COURT 102. In my jurisdiction the losing party has 30 days to pay up.

So there you have it. But your problem is that you have no receipt. You may file anyway and hope the landlord will admit to receiving your fee, and will not be able to produce a valid rental contract. In this case you may win, but don't count on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting