Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 01:59 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,824,588 times

Advertisements

The apartment community I live in has valet trash twice a week. Tenants are supposed to place it at the end of the sidewalk the morning of pick up. If you want to place it out the night before it needs to be in a can. If you place it out early without the can you are supposed to get a 25 dollar fine for every bag.
For the past few months my neighbor was placing it outside there doors days in advance. Then myself and another neighbor complained so they stopped but placed it on the sidewalk the night before and often they will just place trash in an open box or the trash bags are not tied up so trash is everywhere in the morning from animals going through it.
Two evenings I came in late at night. The first time I did not notice and there was a skunk going through the trash and thankfully I did not get sprayed and then the next night there was a raccoon. I am fearful now when I come home late. So I have been complaining at least 2 times a week for at least 2 months. My other neighbor said he has been too. Management says they will talk to them. Then again this weekend they started again placing trash outside there door so when I came home one night there were a couple of animals again in the trash. The neighbor who also complained finally confronted the neighbors about it though I am not sure what was said or how they responded. So I thought that was finally going to stop all of this but it did not and again last night the trash was out and animals went through it.
I am going to complain again but I don't think they will do anything since they have not but is there anything else I can do?
Thank you for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 02:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Keep complaining, but also take photos to show the manager. The offender might deny being the offender..who knows what their response is.

At my complex they will go thru bags are left outside the dumpster to see if they can find any info on the owner and will fine them accordingly. They will also fine you for leaving trash outside your front door.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:08 PM

Thank you. When these tenants place the garbage outside their door they really cant say it is not there's because these apartments are private entrances. Also when my neighbor confronted them they said it was there's and cleaned it up on that days cause trash was everywhere. The managers at this complex do nothing with complaints and really it makes for an unpleasant living environment. My mom was saying maybe I could file a complaint with the health department. I only have 2.5 months left in my lease.
Thank you again

Old 07-11-2014, 01:09 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
I'd call the city and tell them what's happening. I'm sure they are trying to minimize problems animals in town, and that's why there are rules about the garbage (at least in part). Maybe the city will fine the tenant and/or the LL.

Not sure if it would be the health dept, or the animal control, or waste management. Heck, call them all lol! But, start with the city clerk and ask who to talk to about a complaint about a neighbor putting garbage out in a way that causes skunks and racoons, at the very minimum, to be attracted to the property.

Oh, and maybe you can take a picture of the animals? Attach it to an email to the city clerk? And the LL?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:20 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,298 times
Your neighbors can't afford a friggin' trash can with a lid that latches? I wonder what else is wrong in your neighborhood.

That said, in my neighborhood we have those rolling bins. No problem with scavengers, but I do have a problem when my neighbor puts them out on Friday for a Tuesday pickup. He won't be at home and he doesn't want the wife or teenage kids to have to do it. Weird.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Have your complaints been sent to management in writing or just orally? If the latter, do the former!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:57 PM

I have just been complaining by phone. I probably should write out my complaints from now on though I doubt it will make a difference. I am beyond aggravated because this is only one issue I have had.
I don't know why the neighbors cant buy a can. This area is supposed to be upscale and the apartments are expensive but it does not make a difference I guess.
Let me tell you between noisy neighbors at all hours and this my lease coming to an end can't come soon enough.
Thank you for your feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting