Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
do you know how to figure out depreciation? you take the life of the carpet, (how long do you think the carpet is expected to live) and divide by the number of years it has been on the floor and thats how much it is worth. so a $500 carpet, you lived with it a year, it should last for 5 years, you now pay $400 for a new one. next year it will be worth $300.

And? I do know how to figure depreciation, I just don't understand why you felt the need to post the formular. I agreed that the tenant is only responsible for the depreciated amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 05:56 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
And? I do know how to figure depreciation, I just don't understand why you felt the need to post the formular. I agreed that the tenant is only responsible for the depreciated amount.
oh sorry i misread you.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 AM

559 posts, read 1,356,552 times
I've got to ask why a tenant thinks its ok for their dogs to leave a "few urine stains"? This same tenant will be crying the blues when the next landlord does not allow pets because of the experience with this tenant.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Oh i HATE these landlords who are OCD about housekeeping. There is normal wear and tear and there is damage. Stains on carpet are normal wear and tear while large holes in the wall (and i dont mean nails unless you gouge the wall) is damage.
Stains are NOT normal wear and tear. Normal wear and tear is foot traffic.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Pet urine not only creates surface stains, but it also seeps into the padding and sub-flooring. Getting the odor out without replacing the carpet/padding and cleaning the sub flooring is nearly impossible. Sure...some of the stains may come out, but the odor will remain.

Bottom line, this is DAMAGES and the tenant is require to pay for the depreciated value of the carpet, padding and additional cleaning of the sub flooring. The tenant will also be responsible for the labor involved.
Tell me all about it. I had my carpets cleaned and steamed twice, and one bedroom pad replaced, and new tenant still complained. But he complained in the form of his Move In Move Out list, and doesn't have a pet, so as long is he isn't threatening me I hope it will be okay.

I even have a picture of the culprit dog. It's from the jerk I bought the house from. You can see the dog in the MLS. Same jerk who turned off the landscape watering 2 weeks before close of escrow. Same jerk who lost the mailbox key and I had to pay $30 for a new one.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
do you know how to figure out depreciation? you take the life of the carpet, (how long do you think the carpet is expected to live) and divide by the number of years it has been on the floor and thats how much it is worth. so a $500 carpet, you lived with it a year, it should last for 5 years, you now pay $400 for a new one. next year it will be worth $300.
I think carpets are 7 years, from other posts.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Stains are NOT normal wear and tear. Normal wear and tear is foot traffic.
Stains from dirt tracked in from shoes and winter snow i think are normal wear and tear easily solved by shampoing and/or vaccuming carpet. yes?

red stains like from paint definitely.

pet stains - thats another situation, as pet stains can go down to the wood flooring which definitely is differnt than snow/dirt stains from winter.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:

pet stains - thats another situation, as pet stains can go down to the wood flooring which definitely is differnt than snow/dirt stains from winter.
If the LL can prove that's happened but no mention was made of that, only that the LL is demanding the OP pay for a total carpet replacement.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If the LL can prove that's happened but no mention was made of that, only that the LL is demanding the OP pay for a total carpet replacement.
I'd have to see the damage to see if that was reasonable, sounds a bit excessive.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
I'd have to see the damage to see if that was reasonable, sounds a bit excessive.
Which is the purpose of properly disputing the claim in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting