Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,603 times

Advertisements

I had a verbal agreement to rent out a bedroom to a lady and her daughter. She signed the lease on the 20th of August 2014. She has not moved in because the room is not ready yet. I have told her that she can't move in until the 25th. Well, the very next day the 21st (today). I changed my mind and decided it's in my best interest not to rent to a single lady and her teenage daughter. I am a single man and have a 24 year old son. We will be sharing common areas like the kitchen and living room. I really needed the money when I agreed to rent out my room, but after thinking it over $300.00 a month isn't worth the stress. She also has a dog and cat. How hard would it be to tell her I have changed my mind due to the conflict of interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 12:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Notify her immediately follow up in writing, and refund her money immediatly so she can spend it finding a new place, but be aware she could sue you for damages if she suffers any resulting from your changing your mind.

It is very possible you will be putting her in a real jam, this close to the end of the month, in a tight rental market. She could have to put her stuff in storage and rent a room somewhere while she finds a place to move into.

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-21-2014 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: add refund

Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 AM

440 posts, read 714,622 times
Not only could she sue you for damages, but she *could* choose to sue you for discrimination because you are mentioning age, marital status, and sex as your reasons for refusal. Publicly. One good Google search and you might be toast.

She could also truthfully tell her side of the story and discourage future tenants. Only because the market is so hot could you find other tenants.

If you still decide that it would not be in your best interest, I'd be *extremely helpful and generous* because you are putting her in a huge bind by reneging on this agreement at the *peak* time of rental need. Not only should you refund her money, but perhaps in exchange for a "hold harmless" signed agreement, you could pay for storage and temporary housing for a month. I'd honestly get an attorney's consultation on this one.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
If you still decide that it would not be in your best interest, I'd be *extremely helpful and generous* because you are putting her in a huge bind by reneging on this agreement at the *peak* time of rental need. Not only should you refund her money, but perhaps in exchange for a "hold harmless" signed agreement, you could pay for storage and temporary housing for a month. I'd honestly get an attorney's consultation on this one.
Yes, absolutely. Give her money, immediately.

Put yourself in her shoes. You have caused her injury, because you didn't sort out your own feelings before making an agreement with her... which constituted a legally enforceable contract... and you need to take responsibility for that. Even to taking some money out of your own pocket to make it right for her.

Now, having said that... what were you thinking? Renting a single bedroom in your home to a person with a child and a cat and a dog?

Old 08-22-2014, 05:22 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Why would you rent a single bedroom to two people and two pets? Those pets aren't going to stay in the bedroom, they will be all over your house and they will mess things up. If you don't have your house set up for pets (cats love to knock things over) then you're going to have some broken items.

You're also giving her not much notice at all. Contact her immediately. If need be, tell her some friend can't take care of his dogs so you are taking them in and that would not work with her pets.

It's pretty crummy to do that. Sounds like she doesn't have a lot of options if all she can afford is a single bedroom for her party of 4. That's sad.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:58 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
Not only could she sue you for damages, but she *could* choose to sue you for discrimination because you are mentioning age, marital status, and sex as your reasons for refusal. Publicly. One good Google search and you might be toast.

Fair Housing laws don't apply in this case. There are exemption. Renting out one side of a duplex that you owner-occupy is exempt. So is renting rooms in your house.

That said, I agree with Capt. Be magnanimous and make sure your flakiness doesn't put her in a jam.

I agree with you also, that would have been a terribly awkward and inappropriate roommate setup fraught with unintended consequences and it was the right thing to think twice about it.

Steve

Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 PM

440 posts, read 714,622 times
I understand that Fair Housing laws don't apply to these sorts of rentals, but in *breaking* the lease and citing these concerns *after* approving the agreement - hello? All that needed to be said was "I don't think the situation is going to work out."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting