Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:03 AM

917 posts, read 1,383,438 times

Advertisements

I know this may be a silly question, but why do apartments raise rent? My apartment recently raised my rent (by A LOT) and it came as a surprise to me considering they haven’t done anything to improve my "living situation" as stated in their letter about my lease. (It's about time to renew my lease and they raised my rent) My friend who also lives in an apartment had a rent increase but they got new appliances and they fixed up the landscaping and parking lot. My apartment has old appliances & parking lot full of potholes (not to mention a collection of junk cars throughout the parking lot). So just curious, whats the reason for raising rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 11:05 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,285,556 times
I would think that, as the years progress, it costs more to maintain/upkeep the apartment. The cost of living increases every year.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:19 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
Operating costs go up, employees want raises, as property values go up taxes increase. As things wear out they have to be replaced with items that are usually more expensive. If your area is experiencing growth, its possible that construction of new housing and apartment units has not kept up so market costs increase.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I know this may be a silly question ...
True! As a regular consumer you must notice that alnost everything you buy increases in price from year to year and rents are no exception. Not ALL residential landlords raise rent annually but many do, while others raise it only every couple of years and some don't raise it for years on end. All you can be guaranteed in a rental is that rent won't increase during its term but after that ...

Old 08-26-2014, 12:58 PM

306 posts, read 549,950 times
If it raised by a lot is it possible the building is under new ownership? Owners may be taking steps to improve the property?

Old 08-26-2014, 01:01 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkull View Post
If it raised by a lot is it possible the building is under new ownership? Owners may be taking steps to improve the property?
I actually asked about this and they are the same owners. It's run by a company that has about 4 other apt complexes in the city

Old 08-26-2014, 01:03 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I know this may be a silly question, but why do apartments raise rent? My apartment recently raised my rent (by A LOT) and it came as a surprise to me considering they haven’t done anything to improve my "living situation" as stated in their letter about my lease. (It's about time to renew my lease and they raised my rent) My friend who also lives in an apartment had a rent increase but they got new appliances and they fixed up the landscaping and parking lot. My apartment has old appliances & parking lot full of potholes (not to mention a collection of junk cars throughout the parking lot). So just curious, whats the reason for raising rent?
Why do people want a raise at work when they have the same job and do the same thing as a person did 20 years ago. Not trying to be an ass but everything that your surprised about cost money. This must be the dumbest question I have read on here.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:44 PM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Return on investment. this is what people do to earn their income . they put capital at risk and each year expect a gain on that capital that is inflation adjusted as well.

other wise why bother.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-26-2014 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 02:16 PM

912 posts, read 5,259,712 times
Taxes, fees and other costs.

For example, my trash pick up fees from the city doubled in two years. From $300 to $600 per year.

The new law that insures your "safety" over lead paint in old dwellings that requires landlords to test for lead every time a new tenant moves in? That adds another $400 to your rent costs over time.

Property taxes went up by about $50 a month for me. That's savings I'm also passing directly onto you, as a tenant.

Meanwhile, my cost to rent to you goes up, you pay extra while you think I'm filling the swimming pool with champagne, when in reality, I don't see an extra penny and the government takes it all.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:51 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,547 times
They think you will just pay the higher rent because it's so inconvenient to move. This is a common game property managers play. If you want to call their bluff, don't agree to the increased rent and then wait a while. Once they start showing the place offer something slightly higher than what they are asking of the prospective tenants. Then it makes sense for the property managers to accept your offer. But there's still some risk they won't, in which case you'll have to move....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting