Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 03:41 PM

106 posts, read 223,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Let me state again, you can do what you choose to do however, without approval of the landlord for diagnosis and/or repair do not expect to get reimbursed.
If you do not have time to go to the laundry find one you can drop off items for them to wash and dry then pick up at a different time.
Thats fine ill call. What im also asking is if the LL refuses then do i have to cover the cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 04:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopTart21 View Post
Thats fine ill call. What im also asking is if the LL refuses then do i have to cover the cost?
It depends on the exact wording of your lease which you said does contain a clause about it's working order. Even though you went to a month to month when your lease term expired you're still bound by its terms on a month to month so whatever it says goes. If it specifically says that the LL won't be responsible for repair or replacement then if you want to continue using it then the onus will be upon you to get it back working again.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:43 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
Quote:
Yes.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:00 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
This is why I got rid of all free standing appliances years ago... simply not worth the problems or ill will it could generate.

The lease contains all the answers...

Old 09-20-2014, 03:05 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
if it stays there after you move, then it belongs to landlord and he should pay repairs.

if you pay for repairs and it is not a good repair, then you will have broken the landlord's washer/dryer and then he might sue you to buy a new one which you would have to leave behind.

I would not pay one penny to get his appliances fixed. go to laundramat if you have to.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
if it stays there after you move, then it belongs to landlord and he should pay repairs.
Not if the lease states otherwise and this clause is agreed to. This has nothing to do with state landlord law which doesn't address such issues but is between landlord and tenant.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
My landlord bought a new washer dryer over a yr ago. Its a stacked unit and the washer is displaying an error code and not working.

It seems to be out of warranty. Repair might cost a couple hundred. Our lease was a 1 yr and expired a yr ago so we are month to month.

Will i be paying the repair costs or should i ask my landlord about it? Should i look at the lease agreement again? Even tho we are not in a lease does it still stand?

She paid for the washer / dryer and itll stay here after we move

****EDIT**** I just checked the lease which expire in 2013 and it says washer dryer are personal property on the premises and landlord will not replace or repair. So im guessing LL just replaced it out of generosity then?
Whose personal property is it?

One of my rentals has a W/D. I offer it because the property is two separate houses on one property and due to simply the alternate times I get tenants moving in and out its almost impossible to get rid of them. And it seems to be a selling point because everyone who looks at the place likes that there is a laundry room on the premises and they dint have to drive to a laundry mat. Lots of LL in the area install coin operated machines. Yeah I'm not gonna do that. I find it sort of nickel and dime move.

If the W/D were on the property when you moved in and are listed on the lease as amenities the LL is usually responsible. Have you tried to unplug the unit? Sometimes they glitch up because the newer ones actually have a processor that controls the functions. Also there is a sensor on the bottom of the drum that gets clogged with diapers. Clean it. There may also be a reset or diagnostics feature. Look through the owners manual.
I had one washer that did what yours did ( in the aforementioned rental) it would just stop working mid cycle. Had a extended warranty. After about 30 days of a repair guy coming back once a week and Lowes delivering a new loaner they credited me back the money I paid for the initial broken washer. I offered to buy the loaner. $300 was the price and the credit back to me was $250. The cheaper washer works better than the higher end washer.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:03 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
My landlord bought a new washer dryer over a yr ago. Its a stacked unit and the washer is displaying an error code and not working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Look through the owners manual.
Read the owner's manual (often available at the manufacturer's website). If it does not have a list of error codes and what to do to remedy them, Google the make, model, and error code. You may be able to easily fix it yourself, possibly from discussions by owners who have had the same problem. You would hate to pay for a service call if, as suggested above, all you need to do is reboot the electronics by unplugging the machine - which is something you should probably try anyway because it is easy and free.

If that does not work, call customer service for the company that makes the washer.

Your lease does not include repair or replacement of the appliance. Repair will probably cost less than a new one. By the time you do your research, you should have an idea whether you need a repairman and about what it will cost.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:58 PM

106 posts, read 223,183 times
ive already checked the manual for the error codes and have followed the troubleshooting which simply said to power off and power on, select spin & rinse cycle, and turn it on, but it doesnt turn on - thats where I had to call a repairman. He came and removed the bottom portion, inside there was a loose connection.

we paid him $40 (i dont mind as long is as it fixed) and have a receipt. However, it worked good until later that night when it displayed the error code again and will not operate. Tomorrow is sunday so we'll have to call the guy on monday again.

LL still hasn't even responded to my e-mail, on purpose. Is that appropriate?

I paid the $40 already so i dont think i will have to pay him again. But what the hell do I do about the LL not even answering? Its not even my washer /dryer, it was purchased by the LL like I said in the OP. This is a severe inconvenience for us as we have to use the laundramat (like today) but no one in the house is home all day because of work..

I have not lashed out to my LL or anything, we have had alot of stuff that needed repair through the last year and im assuming the LL got tired or annoyed of it. However I dont understand the deal with not responding to something like this?

What action should I take from here?

Old 09-20-2014, 11:06 PM

150 posts, read 343,812 times
We rented our house with the washer and dryer because they were still working, but old and the tenants wanted them left. I wrote in the lease that if they stop working, I well haul them away, but will not repair our replace. According to what you stated your lease said, it sounds like if yours break, they will not pay to fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting