Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,590 times

Advertisements

I live in a upscale new complex, which has been under construction for its 2nd phase. We are 2 months from completing our 13 month lease, just had a issue with the manager. they audited there leases, and found a bunch of us not having an addendum for renters insurance of a satallite dish, and requesting that be moved and not on any building structure. I complied immediatly, and moved the dish, but even after having my insurance agent "Geico" talk to the manager, the could not come to acceptable terms as to what needs to be done to comply with the addition 10,000 that was need in insuance liability. I send an email to corporate complainning about that and the lack of security guard performance at the facllity. We just had a buildinbg wide insepection of the apartments. They only went into all my neighbors garages to see if they were not storing things, but made a full sweep of our place. Next day I was send a Notice of lease termination. Calling corporate, they told me that they felt I would be happier in a different complex. Her I am always paying my rent early, no lease violations, and a guy that always looks out for his neighbors safety.

I think this is so very wrong, and will cost me a lot for non refundable pet fees, and moving expensis. What can I do, I dont want to move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 07:53 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
There are 50 seperate states in the U.S. That means there are 50 different state landlord tenant laws. Within some states there may be localized laws.

Do you want us to guess on where you live or do you want to tell us?

Also, we need you to tell us what is in YOUR lease specific to lease terminations.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:57 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
It sounds like they are choosing not to renew your lease when it expires. Nothing you can do about that...just like there's nothing you can do about the way do their inspections.

Start collecting boxes and looking for a new home. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:10 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Take this as a lesson learned. When lease expiration time comes along, the landlord/property manager can decide NOT to rent to you after the expiration date.

If you make complaints to them or give them any grief about matters (even when landlord is wrong), then they might want to get rid of you because you are a thorn in their side. They can do this.

So sometimes it's best to just lay low and not be argumentative with them unless it's really necessary. And when you do debate them on issues, you must first ask yourself "Do I want to stay here after the current lease expires AND is this issue worth having the lease terminated by the landlord after it expires?"

Likely in your case, the email complaint that you sent to corporate about lack of security is what caused your lease to be terminated upon expiration of the lease. Likely the local people got in trouble and decided they don't want you around. Or it's possible the lease termination came from the corporate level where you complained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting