Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Pay the debt. Having good credit is important in many aspects of life - you don't want to have this hanging on your credit report for multiple years.
Unfortunately it already went to collections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 732 times
I had got an apartment to take care of my sick dieing mother, I also moved in my brother all 3 names were on the lease, couple months went by and I could not stand the living situation , my brother made it really hard to take care of my mom always parting, pointing fingers and what not so I left I moved in with my boyfriend and his parents. still made daily trips to attend to my mother.. Left all my big belonging still in the apartment bed, t.v ,computer furniture medical equipment ect. For the fact I needed my mom to have all nessissary needs that she needed... Out of the blue one of my brother s friends iv known for a while started staying there and they both agreed that she would be a responsible help 1. She was a caregiver 2 she had a job , so I made the decision of letting her stay there because I felt that they were responsibe enough to take on the resonpsibility months go by like this I did my weekly check ups at this point , on one week I went over just to spend time , and my mom had brought to my attention that my brother and roommate were not keeping up with thier duties that I left . that turned into an argument between me and roommate note: my mother was dieing from hep c and liver cancer she could not stand up for herself or badly do anything for herself even if she wanted to. As the result of the argument roommate left her name wasn't even on the lease. I moved back in and started to realize nobody was paying the bills late fees shut off dates back rent due everything like what did they expect my sick mother to pay everything no. I started paying off what i could at the time , things wernt going to good for the roomate that left so i did give her another chance and that lead to another argument all this stress and responsibilty on me tierd me out so u sat down and talked to my mom to see if she was okay with me signing my name off the lease so I can look for another place to take care of my mom she said yes so I signed my name off. I have documents ,The roommate signed her name on the lease Month goes by unfortunately my mother passed away before I could move her anywhere.. So I went through the whole funeral stuff had to pay for allthat neended paying.. Brother and roomate stayed in the apartment not paying one cent after my mothers death and I'm still the one who gets charged 4,555$!! That went in to collections . ????? After all that I went homeless lost my job and I have 2 kids what should I do?????

Old 03-10-2015, 07:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajerrae19 View Post
... talked to my mom to see if she was okay with me signing my name off the lease so I can look for another place to take care of my mom she said yes so I signed my name off. I have documents ,The roommate signed her name on the lease Month goes by unfortunately my mother passed away before I could move her anywhere.. So I went through the whole funeral stuff had to pay for allthat neended paying.. Brother and roomate stayed in the apartment not paying one cent after my mothers death and I'm still the one who gets charged 4,555$!! That went in to collections . ????? After all that I went homeless lost my job and I have 2 kids what should I do?????
I'm sorry for your loss but if the debts were incurred before you were "signed off the lease" then you remain responsible for them. I'm a little confused about how exactly you were "signed off" the lease as although cosignatories have to agree to your removal, it's the landlord's decision. Do you have paperwork noting that you were removed from the lease and are free and clear of any associated debts? I'm also confused that the debt went to collections when surely you were given some sort of notice that there were outstanding debts?

Suggest you contact an attorney/Legal Aid as whoever was on the lease at the time of your mother's passing is responsible for the debt and there are laws governing collection of amounts due when a lessee passes away.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:44 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I'm sure OP has this figured out by now, but for the rest of you tenants who are reading and wanting out of a roommate situation Your boyfriend or your roommate or your brother can not get you off the lease. The only person who can take you off the lease is the landlord. The landlord can't take you off the lease unless all parties who signed the lease agree to it in writing.

If you are on a lease, you are not free and clear at the end of the lease. Unless you get it in writing from the landlord that you are no longer responsible, you are liable until the unit is returned, empty, to the landlord and the keys have been returned. The lease can end and if your roommate stays in the unit, you are still liable for the rent for all the years he stays there. Do not move out without getting all the ends tied up and your responsibility ended, in writing.

Never ever, when you are renting, just cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting