Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:40 AM

4 posts, read 8,408 times

Advertisements

My lease has a clause that states, "Tenant shall be responsible for the first $300 of any and each separate service call, maintenance, repair, trip charge and/or vendor fees, regardless of the cause or if a code violation."

Is this legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerriella View Post
My lease has a clause that states,
"Tenant shall be responsible for the first $300 of any and each separate service call,
maintenance, repair, trip charge and/or vendor fees, regardless of the cause or if a code violation."

Is this legal?
No

Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 AM

I didn't think so. Do you happen to know where I can find the statute to fight this?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:51 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,264 times
Quote:
I didn't think so. Do you happen to know where I can find the statute to fight this?
Try Googling your state tenant LL laws and look for the sections specifically about repairs and maintenance. Your LL cannot charge you for repairs unless negligence on your part caused the issue (ie sticking paper towels down your toilet and clogging it, throwing something through your windows, etc...)

Old 10-30-2014, 09:54 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,471 times
Check it out carefully. We got "trapped" into a similar clause in our lease. When the furnace circuit board went out after 5 years of us renting the same house, our LL demanded we pay the first $100 for repairs because it was stated in our lease.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:00 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Quote:
My lease has a clause that states, "Tenant shall be responsible for the first $300 of any and each separate service call, maintenance, repair, trip charge and/or vendor fees, regardless of the cause or if a code violation."

Is this legal?
It may vary by state, but every lease I have seen has a clause that repairs under $_____ are to paid by tenants. Most of the figures I have seen are $75 to $100. $300 sounds rather high. It also has to do with what the repairs are. If they are related to the place being habitable (water, etc.) I am under the impression the landlord is responsible. That clause about paying for a code violation does not sound right, as the landlord will get the violation--not the renter.

I would not sign a lease holding renters responsible for that percentage of a repair. There may be an issue that is important to you but the landlord doesn't agree a repair needs to be made.

Renters' Rights to Minor Repairs | Nolo.com

Old 10-30-2014, 10:12 AM

I have been researching the issue all morning. I found this information "The landlord is required to rent a dwelling that is fit to be lived in. It must have working plumbing, hot water and heating, be structurally sound and have reasonable security, including working and locking doors and windows, and it must be free of pests. The landlord must also comply with local health, building, and safety codes. If the landlord has to make repairs to make the dwelling fit to live in, the landlord must pay." Here: Consumer Tip: RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF TENANTS AND LANDLORDS

Which appears to completely contradict this clause in the lease: "Tenant shall be responsible for the first $300 of any and each separate service call, maintenance, repair, trip charge and/or vendor fees, regardless of the cause or if a code violation."

Also I was very pressured into signing the lease quickly without time to truly read over it as per these emails from the leasing agent:
Upon receipt of lease and funds I will immediately take the property off the market and return an executed lease.
If we can do this no later than tomorrow morning I will arrange keys tomorrow (no one is at the office until jan 2nd)
Please email/fax everything back to me ASAP, but no later than 5pm December 31st, 2013. (this is important as there are other applicants I am stalling).

Any suggestions on if I have any recourse? My lease is up in January. We really love the house, the neighborhood, and school system. Any advice on options for having this clause excluded before signing a new lease? I will move before agreeing to this again.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
I have been researching the issue all morning. I found this information "The landlord is required to rent a dwelling that is fit to be lived in. It must have working plumbing, hot water and heating, be structurally sound and have reasonable security, including working and locking doors and windows, and it must be free of pests. The landlord must also comply with local health, building, and safety codes. If the landlord has to make repairs to make the dwelling fit to live in, the landlord must pay." Here: Consumer Tip: RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF TENANTS AND LANDLORDS

Which appears to completely contradict this clause in the lease: "Tenant shall be responsible for the first $300 of any and each separate service call, maintenance, repair, trip charge and/or vendor fees, regardless of the cause or if a code violation."

Also I was very pressured into signing the lease quickly without time to truly read over it as per these emails from the leasing agent:
Upon receipt of lease and funds I will immediately take the property off the market and return an executed lease.
If we can do this no later than tomorrow morning I will arrange keys tomorrow (no one is at the office until jan 2nd)
Please email/fax everything back to me ASAP, but no later than 5pm December 31st, 2013. (this is important as there are other applicants I am stalling).

Any suggestions on if I have any recourse? My lease is up in January. We really love the house, the neighborhood, and school system. Any advice on options for having this clause excluded before signing a new lease? I will move before agreeing to this again.
In all the residential and commercial leases I've dealt with, costs of structural repairs and habitability repairs are always on the LL. In my opinion the clause in your lease is too all-encompassing and legally unenforceable.

As far as your being "pressured" into signing the lease, that's on you for obvious reasons. You don't sign any contract until you've looked it over carefully. Now you've signed the lease agreeing to its terms - but has the question of repairs actually come up yet or are you just looking to the future and that possibility? If it does come up and you feel it's unreasonable to pay whatever, then you should seek legal advice if your LL doesn't budge.

If all goes well and you decide to renew then of course you can bring up that clause and ask that it be amended as a condition of renewal. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:05 AM

I understand allowing myself to be pressured is on me. I was incredibly stupid but we were living in a hotel room and I needed to get my family out of there.

The question of repairs came up this morning when I notified the leasing agent of an issue with the AC. I think I have resolved the issue by cleaning the condensation pipe but I am concerned about future issues. As long as nothing else goes wrong until my lease is up in Jan., then I would hope I have some negotiating power as we have been great renters, i.e. no complaints, always pay on time, take good care of the home.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:41 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
it sounds like a deductible, like with car insurance.

whether it is legal or not, if you signed the lease, then you basically agreed to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting