Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 04:59 PM

986 posts, read 2,512,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How in the world do you think you are going to "force" someone to stop coughing and honestly it is none of your business the reason they are coughing.
You have no right to know anyone's physical/medical health condition and details but your own.

It doesn't matter who was there first it matters that you are the one complaining about something that cannot be controlled with the possibility of this person having a chronic illness.

The simplistic rationalization is that you think you have a right to file a noise ordinance complaint against someone who coughs.
I guess the whole concept of noise pollution is lost on some people. The source of the noise being "medical" doesn't lessen its net impact. Why is that so hard to comprehend? I cant live in a constant state of feeling sorry for someone (even a relative). Life has to be pragmatic, too.

If someone had a chronic farting problem, I could force myself to laugh, but not when I wanted to sleep or enjoy any quiet activity. I'd rather hear coughing than a subwoofer but at times it's a 6 on a 1-10 scale of irritants.

Do this search if you think I'm the only one on the planet dealing with this. My initial question was about what the reason for the coughing might be, and I was hoping a cougher might answer.

Last edited by ca_north; 11-20-2014 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 03:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
My initial question was about what the reason for the coughing might be, and I was hoping a cougher might answer.
And the question has been answered with several possibilities offered. If you need more answers you may find better response on a health forum.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And the question has been answered with several possibilities offered. If you need more answers you may find better response on a health forum.
FYI, the "hacker" finally stopped a few weeks ago. At least it was temporary.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:53 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,595,514 times
If you can't learn to live with neighbor noises you need to not live in an apartment.

I have a guy above me who has a dog that barks and barks and barks, for hours sometimes. Usually when I a trying to sleep or watch a movie. I've learned to ignore the sound. Neighbor is otherwise a quiet person who only occasionally stomps loudly around his place in his work boots and has an uncanny knack for flushing the toilet just when I get in the shower. That's just life in apartments. There are much worse problems to have in life than the inconvenience of people going about their lives.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
OP, your "coughing demonstration" post is one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen here. If your lease has an early termination clause, take advantage of it. If your lease doesn't have an early termination clause, see if you can work something out with management to enable you to leave without a huge penalty. The bottom line is that there is nothing you can legally do about this annoyance and you either learn to deal with it or move.

Since any further discussion has nothing to do with renting, suggest you take the issue over to one of the health forums.
No, you're just a glcvpny vqvbg who doesn't comprehend the gravity of chronic noise. All you people ever talk about is what's "legal" vs. ethical.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:48 PM

32,680 posts, read 48,207,062 times
Quote:
No, you're just a glcvpny vqvbg who doesn't comprehend the gravity of chronic noise. All you people ever talk about is what's "legal" vs. ethical.
Oh well, then, if you don't want a legal or ethical solution, you could go over and shoot him dead. That would stop the coughing and also get you out of that apartment. If you do that, at your new residence, you'd better hope that absolutely nothing you do annoys your new neighbors because they don't care about legal.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done about normal living noise. If you don't like it, your only option is to move to get away from it. Dont be surprised if someone else is making noise of some sort in your new residence. Or win the lottery and buy a private island and poison all the birds.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,507,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
why do I get the impression that no matter what the cause is you aren't going to be happy?

You're really complaining about someone coughing?? You really think they can control that involuntary response? So what if they smoke? That's their business, not yours and you can't control how many times they light up a day.

Good grief...I think it's time you find another place to live before you stress yourself to a heart attack.

If you're exposed to someone else's indoor second-hand smoke, and you're paying, it's your business.

If you're a freeloader it's not your business.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:12 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,507,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Oh well, then, if you don't want a legal or ethical solution, you could go over and shoot him dead. That would stop the coughing and also get you out of that apartment. If you do that, at your new residence, you'd better hope that absolutely nothing you do annoys your new neighbors because they don't care about legal.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done about normal living noise. If you don't like it, your only option is to move to get away from it. Dont be surprised if someone else is making noise of some sort in your new residence. Or win the lottery and buy a private island and poison all the birds.

But be sure to read your lease first because you might not be able to get out of it without paying up the wazoo.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:38 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,066,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Again, this person wouldn't be happy if they all of this and then some...they just want to complain. Who leaves a thread a for over a year only to come back and respond to old posts??

Old 11-21-2016, 11:17 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,042,504 times
Quote:
Sorry for your pain but other people still exist in this world. I can't just pretend it's OK to hear coughing over and over and over again. Think of it as a sound like dripping water, not just a medical condition. Search the Web and you'll see a number of similar complaints.

A graphical view might help you understand it from others' vantage point. This typically occurs over 2 to 4 hours:

COUGH-cough ..............(here we go again!)........................................... ........................................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. .....................
COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. .....................
COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. .....................
COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. ..................... COUGH-cough ........................................ COUGH-cough............................................. etc.

One can at least do something to control the symptoms, or raise a silencing cup to the mouth each time. It's common courtesy.
Did you SERIOUSLY think that if the person could find something to make them stop coughing they wouldn't for some reason? They had MUCH more reason than YOU to want to stop coughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting