Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 PM

26 posts, read 116,961 times

Advertisements

SS# is not a form of identification. If you trust these people, what is the problem? Asking for their SS numbers will most likely disolve the trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 08:46 AM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times
I don't need to run a credit check on them. They own their own home where they live and are renting it out, and I know that they pay their bills. The only reason I wanted it was to report to their credit if they don't pay their rent for some reason. I'm pretty sure they will, but you never know! If I don't need a ss# to do this, then I guess I don't need their numbers.

Thank you all for your input and information!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:50 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I would get it. Hopefully you don't have to use it but more information is better then less. I would actually ask them to give you a photocopy of their cards.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:52 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I would get it. Hopefully you don't have to use it but more information is better then less. I would actually ask them to give you a photocopy of their cards.
I would never, ever give permission for anybody to make or keep floating around somewhere in their posession a photocopy of my SS#.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:55 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
When renting or filling out rental applications, I've always been required to give my SS#, so they could do a credit check.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I would never, ever give permission for anybody to make or keep floating around somewhere in their possession a photocopy of my SS#.
I wish that was true... Have you ever applied for a job, been enrolled in public college, applied for a loan, opened a bank account or admitted to a Hospital? Most physicians today will not see you without providing your SS# on the new patient form.

Anyone that does work for you around your home and you pay above a certain amount is required to provide you their SS# unless they use a taxpayer id# for their business.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:50 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I would never, ever give permission for anybody to make or keep floating around somewhere in their posession a photocopy of my SS#.
Every job I have had, they have taken a copy of my SS card.

If memory serves, when I rented an apartment they asked to see it, to make sure it was real.

I wouldn't rent to someone without seeing real proof of things.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:21 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
You can't report anything to their credit report yourself if you aren't a business. You have to be some type of business to be able to report it on their credit bureau. The only way it would come out is if you sued them in small claims court in the future and obtained a judgement. The court would then report it.
Don't ask for the SS#. You can always sue them if it needs to be done. Hopefully you won't.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:32 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
You can't report anything to their credit report yourself if you aren't a business. You have to be some type of business to be able to report it on their credit bureau. The only way it would come out is if you sued them in small claims court in the future and obtained a judgement. The court would then report it.
Don't ask for the SS#. You can always sue them if it needs to be done. Hopefully you won't.

You are absolutely correct. If you aren't a business, you can't report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting