Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 18,040 times

Advertisements

I signed a lease not knowing the apartment had roaches. I informed the landlord, his response is that they come from outside and he sprayed some roach spray. He left a complimentary bottle in the apartment. Mind you they where everywhere in the fridge, cabinets and bathroom.my son is a asthmatic toddler and cant live with in a nasty home. I am legally binded by the lease so i have to figure out how to deal with the situation and if it get worst sue...
I havent moved anything in the apartment because of this. I got a call from the landlord while i was away visting family saying the pipe burst. The landlord said it wasnt my fault but i had to pay for the clean up because i was not there for days . I dont know why i would have to pay for anything i didnt have roaches nor did i cause the pipe issue what can i do?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 01:02 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
You accepted possession of the property. Did you leave the heat on while you were away?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:06 PM

Default yes

I heat was on the landlord said it wasn't my fault. I didn't leave anything in the place due the fact that it was infested with roaches.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:10 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,613 times
Document, document, document. Your complaint and demand for remedy should be written and sent to the landlord by certified mail with return receipt. Log any roach sightings with date, time, location in the apartment, and number of insects you saw. Take photos. If you do these things and the landlord doesn't control the infestation, you may have the right and grounds to break the lease. Many laws regarding tenancy are local ordinances. In what city is this apartment?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the responses!!

Old 01-01-2015, 03:20 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Get OUT!*You do have a right to break the lease. The unit is NOT FIT for HUMAN habitation because of detrimental health hazards. You have most likely contracted with a slumlord who knows well the cure for roaches and broken pipes the associated costs for pest control and plumbers. He wants you to PAY FOR HIS MESS. GET OUT!

Your bigger issue is the water damage. Standing water + oxygen = mold. I assure you that if your child is asthmatic it will only get worse when exposed to mold. GET OUT!

Time and date stamp (very important) pictures of the roaches in every room, closet, etc.. And take pictures of the broken pipe, and water damage. Take your pictures to City code enforcement and county welfare office.

Most cities and counties have laws to protect seniors and children via code enforcement. The city could NOT allow him to rent to anyone else before the building was fully repaired and passed all inspections.

And if he decides to sue you .. get a lawyer to represent your child's interest in not getting any sicker. BTW, your child should not be exposed to the fumes from Roach spray at any time. You should not be in it until the roaches and all evidence of roach droppings are removed. Pest infestation is a BIG health issue when left untreated.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:30 PM

Default Thanks !!!!

I am currently looking into getting a affordable lawyer. I am on a very low income and really cant afford much. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE!!!!

Old 01-01-2015, 04:02 PM

219 posts, read 377,561 times
Contact Land of Lincioln Legal Services. If you are a single mother with a low income, you may qualify for free legal aid. Also, if there is a law school in your area, contact them. Law school students and professors do pro bono work too.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:16 PM

YES I AM A SINGLE MOTHER AND I APPRECIATE THAT INFORMATION. I was told that the repairs are going to happen so I can move my stuff in soon or I would be moved to another unit. And its more than likely I wont have to pay..... I don't trust the situation. I don't feel comfortable about anything that's going on so I am going to continue to look into the legal advice. SO THANKS AGAIN!!!

Old 01-02-2015, 12:49 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
It is all relevant to where you actually live. For food and housing you go to the STATE LINK Office in your county. They can direct you for everything else. Churches commonly have food pantries open every week or every other week. No charge, but if you can make a donation, please do.

I believe the only two people who can represent you in a court of law is your self or a licensed attorney. Students often work for lawyers. They do not generally solicit or work for clients unsupervised. John Marshall in Chicago, Bradley in Peoria, UI in Champaign and SIU at Carbondale are all good law schools. I am not sure if ISU at Normal has a law school or not, but I would not be surprised.

Lincoln Land legal services in Springfield work on a sliding scale from free to standard fees. If you are in the Peoria area I can recommend an excellent child attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting