Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,894 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I'm a landlord of New Jersey. Not much experience with this. I'm in the process of evicting tenants who claimed have lost their jobs and cannot afford to pay rent. They have until 3/1/2015 to come up with the rent they owe me or be evicted approximately on 3/10/2015 by the court constable. My questions are: 1) How do I go after them for the rent they owe me after they moved? 2) How do I track where they live? 3) Is there a legal way to get their SSNs? 4) If they damage my property prior moving out, what can I do? 5) Any additional suggestions are appreciated.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 08:48 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
I'll leave others to respond as they are more knowledgeable but one thing stood out to me, did you not run their credit before renting your place to them?

Old 02-23-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I'll leave others to respond as they are more knowledgeable but one thing stood out to me, did you not run their credit before renting your place to them?

They have been paying rent for about 30 months. Seems like they are facing financial difficulty. First time landlord, my agent did not run credit check. Lesson learned, never again. thanks

Old 02-24-2015, 04:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchlkwn View Post
They have until 3/1/2015 to come up with the rent they owe me or be evicted approximately on 3/10/2015 by the court constable.
It doesn't work like that. If they don't pay the rent due by 3/1 then you have to file an eviction suit in court and wait for a court date and go through the whole process. If the court rules in your favor, your tenants will be given a date by which they must vacate the premises, you'll win a judgment against the tenants for the rent owed and if they don't leave by the date mandated by the court they'll be forcibly evicted. Collecting the debt is a whole additional process.

Google, "New Jersey eviction" to find the step by step information you need to go through the process and follow them specifically. Be particularly careful not to accept any rent other than the total amount due from the tenants as, if you do, you have to start the whole process over again.

NJ landlord tenant laws are linked in the first "sticky" on this page and before you rent out the unit again you should familiarize yourself with them. Make sure your lease is a good one and, if you're not comfortable dealing with the court process yourself, it's a good idea the first time around to have an attorney guide you through the process. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It doesn't work like that. If they don't pay the rent due by 3/1 then you have to file an eviction suit in court and wait for a court date and go through the whole process. If the court rules in your favor, your tenants will be given a date by which they must vacate the premises, you'll win a judgment against the tenants for the rent owed and if they don't leave by the date mandated by the court they'll be forcibly evicted. Collecting the debt is a whole additional process.

Google, "New Jersey eviction" to find the step by step information you need to go through the process and follow them specifically. Be particularly careful not to accept any rent other than the total amount due from the tenants as, if you do, you have to start the whole process over again.

NJ landlord tenant laws are linked in the first "sticky" on this page and before you rent out the unit again you should familiarize yourself with them. Make sure your lease is a good one and, if you're not comfortable dealing with the court process yourself, it's a good idea the first time around to have an attorney guide you through the process. Good luck!

Sorry, there was actually an eviction been processed on 1/28/2015. I was being a nice guy because they gave me section 8 application. To make the story shorter, there is a court paper telling the tenant if they can not fulfill the section 8 approval and pay the rent they owe me by the end of February, I will ask the tenants to give me the keys on 3/1/2015. If they refuse, I will notify my lawyer and a court constable about 10 days later to evict them by the court order.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Ah, clarity! You have an attorney so he/she will have the answers to your questions. Do read those landlord tenant laws so you have a better understanding of what's expected of you and your tenants and the proper way to address issues.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:40 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
In the future, their SS # should be on their application. Also get personal references, becasue their friends will know where they moved to.

If they are broke, you might never get the money they owe you. Ask the courts to give you a monetary judgement. If you have the judgement, there are people who can find them for you. If you have a judgement, you can garnish their wages or place a lien ion their possessions.

If you think that they can never pay you, you can sell the judgement to a bill collector. You won't get much, but you'll have the satisfaction of knowing there is someone who is going after them.

Have the judgement recorded and then it will appear on their credit report to warn other landlords in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting