Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 03:09 PM

85 posts, read 432,827 times

Advertisements

Read your association docs. Sometimes they put in that an upstairs neighbor can not have a hard floor. Hardwood/tiles. Must be either linoleum or carpet. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 11:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
I would fight fire with fire I would blast hardcore music and put the speaker near the ceiling during the day of course. She would be so afraid of me that she would jump on her broom and fly away.

I would also make sure the HOA does intervene. Look into your contract, it's harassment what they are doing and the other neighbors I'm sure can back you up. Sadly you can't reason with unreasonable people.

Also I would record the sounds and the time that it happens and call the police.

I had to call the police a few times on an upstairs crazy neighbor I once had who thought it was normal to play music 24/7. The cops asked him if he wanted to go to the hospital for "mental cleansing". He was an older man, but clearly not sane, He would glare and stare at you when he saw you outside. Eventually he lowered the volume on his piano and opera music that he played all night.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:43 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times
the HOA IS responsible for the cieling leaks .. dont let them pull that silly card of not our problem.. .. get a plumber out and have your ceiling taken down and the pipes capped that are dripping . fix your ceiling and let the rest of them whine and cry.. plumber came leaks were fixed .. NOW its the HOA's problem
while your at it and the cieling is open have some sound proofing put in .. I'd suggest ahidden speaker screwed to the floor above that is attached to your bass speaker that you can make squeal at odd hours but I know thats mean ..:: grins::

Old 03-01-2015, 02:01 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Based on what you describe, the neighbor is aware she has a problem, as is her husband. They've decided to live with it. They expect you to as well. Don't go into this expecting some kind of easy compromise.

Just saying this as someone that had a similar neighbor situation.
Sounds like the "association" is a bunch of lazies too imho. What's the point of having an association if complaints aren't addressed?

Good luck with getting anything done with an owner. As a renter, I've seen nothing but "I'll handle it" become a "pass the buck" deal. As long as they are getting their money, they could care less about what tenants are doing to disturb others. Sad but true!

Old 03-01-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
Any problems with leaks, I would take up with the assoc/landlord whoever owns that place. You have a right to a dry place without having to worry about being fearful you'll receive retaliation from your neighbors, who sound like they are not very neighborly. You can think of a hundred reasons of what is wrong with this woman and possibly none of them would be right. She sounds very miserable and she could have had some tragedy happen in her life which caused her to be bitter and mean to everyone in her life. (See I just came up with one, too.)

Also, with the stomping.....is there a possibility you could look into switching places with them and let the owner ask them? Since they are an older couple, they may welcome that possibility of not having to walk up and down stairs. If by "older" you mean 40's-50's age range, then they prob. wouldn't like that idea. If not, then perhaps you could switch to another place. Or you may want to consider purchasing one of those sound machines which you can run while you sleep and hopefully it will drown out her passive aggressive stomping and door slamming. I used to have party animals living under me and their music would sometimes sound like a rock concert. However, usually by midnight they got quieter.

I did a little research, as you may have done, and unfortunately there is not very much you can do. The internet is full of noise problems like you are having and the landlords suggest contacting the tenants yourself. It did say to try and avoid any confrontation with neighbors like this, and that is what it sounds like you are doing. (Some condos/town homes have rules about having carpet or runners over high traffic areas for this reason.) If someone actually saw her key a car, then they should have reported this to the the legal authorities immediately.

And I am having difficulty suppressing the urge to ask...do you think she is flying on that broom she has?
Clearly you didn't read the original post! He does have a sound machine!

Old 03-01-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbec View Post
Thanks impossibel to trade units - I am an owner not a renter so there are alot of homeowner legalities like title search, mortgage etc etc

I use a sound machine and ear plugs - her stomping on hardwood floors wakes me up everytime with vibrations at 430 am
I would get this situation under control ASAP. I would not let it drag on. Because the landlord's and neighbor's defense in any legal proceedings would be "He's put up with it for this long, why is he now making an issue of it?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting