Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:47 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times

Advertisements

Okay, well, I'm going to send this email to my property management. What do you think? Should I include the second paragraph? Or not even plan on hinting to my property management that I am going to split and not pay for the rest of the rent because she's not letting me find a replacement?

Hello,
I live in _____. It is a 2 bedroom and I am currently living with my roommate. I am writing to ask you about my lease. My lease ends in August 2015. I plan on moving out May 2015. I know I can't sublease but I can still find someone to take over my current lease, right? They can move in May 2015 and if they want to renew, they can sign a new lease in August 2015. I know I will have to get my current roommate to sign off on it. I want to confirm with you that if I find a new roommate for May 2015, that if my current roommate signs off on it, this will NOT renew her lease for May 2016? I want to confirm that my current roommate's lease will still end on August 2015?

My current roommate tells me she does not want to renew her lease so she is concerned about my replacing my room with a new person. Furthermore she is telling me she does not want to live with a new person. I have given her enough notice about my plans. Since she is making it difficult for me to find another person to replace my room and insists on not living with a new person and I plan on moving all of my things out on May 2015, would it be fair to say that the rest of the rent would be her responsibility then? I know my name is also on the lease but she is not letting me find someone to replace me and I won't be living there anymore and my stuff won't even be there, so I don't know what to do about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 07:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Okay, well, I'm going to send this email to my property management. What do you think?
I think it's a waste of time. Your landlord has no interest whatsoever in the issues between you and your roommate. They're legally covered with you both on the lease. The questions you're asking them are already addressed in your lease and have been further explained here. This is something you need to work out with your roommate and several suggestions have been made on how to do that. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,737 times
What if the roommate who's staying has a pig as a pet, which takes up a significant portion of the shared living space, and refuses to get rid of the pig? This pretty much means that the one who's leaving will be unable to find someone to sublease from her. Because let's face it, who's going to move into a house that has a pig living in it? Is there any legal recourse for the one who wants to move out? Can the owner of the pig be forced to remove it from the premiss? I am not making this situation up, by the way. It's real, and it's creating a nightmare for the one who's already moved out. She's been gone for two months but still has to pay rent just so the two pigs -- the animal and its owner -- can live there. That doesn't seem fair. Thanks for any light you can shed.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:13 PM

151 posts, read 189,770 times
Find someone to take over the last 3 months and tell the loony roommate to shove it.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:33 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Pigs can be cleaner than dogs, I had a pig growing up and that guy was an awesome pet. Only one who can force a tenant to get rid of a pet is the landlord.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:28 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Thread is almost a year old. I am sure the OP has moved on.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:32 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Thread is almost a year old. I am sure the OP has moved on.
Post #23 is new, but thanks?

Old 02-23-2016, 01:38 PM

902 posts, read 1,105,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
So, don't even try? Just eat three month's of rent? That's your advice?
she can try but neither her roommate nor (more importantly) the landlord is under any obligation to approve (or even consider) the applicant

Old 02-28-2016, 03:42 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I love to know how the OP did!

GKelly How about an Update!

Old 03-03-2016, 01:50 AM

32 posts, read 27,589 times
Tell her you have rights to move her out or replacing you whenever you want. She can buy own either pay full rent of this apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting