Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 08:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

When there isn't a specific statute, case law (or common law) would be used. And at minimum, the court would go by what is "reasonable."

This is exactly what "quiet enjoyment" actually is, too. A tenant is allowed to live in the rented place in peace, without interference by the landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 08:16 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Anytime I've rented there has always been a stipulation that I must be given X number of hours notice before someone enters.

I'd call the police now, file a report, and have it forwarded to the management company. Clearly someone broke in and removed something which is a crime. I'd also check that place really good for video equipment. You never know what kind of creepy guy the landlord may be.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Anytime I've rented there has always been a stipulation that I must be given X number of hours notice before someone enters.

I'd call the police now, file a report, and have it forwarded to the management company. Clearly someone broke in and removed something which is a crime. I'd also check that place really good for video equipment. You never know what kind of creepy guy the landlord may be.
You make a good point. The OP assumes that it is the landlord who is coming in and taking the small items. What if it isn't? Could be a former tenant? Or someone else who obtained a key illegally?

Maybe if a police report is filed, if it is the landlord he will stop doing it.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:34 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It would be most helpful if you could cite applicable statute...

I can just imagine the all kinds of issues if the tenant was in the shower and the landlord simply walked in...

There is no statute. Is is "recommended" that notice be given, but not required.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:51 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I have been fortunate in that my previous tenants have emailed/phoned in advance to get my permission to enter my room to do repairs and the like.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:33 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Video/voice recording your landlord without his permission is a crime under MA law.
Entering apartments without permission is called trespassing.

Let me guess, you are an internet lawyer?

Old 03-07-2015, 10:17 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Uhmmm, MA has no law that a landlrod must give notice to enter because the law says they can not enter.

General Law Part II, Title I, Chapter 186, Section 15B. (1) (a) No lease relating to residential real property shall contain a provision that a lessor may, except to inspect the premises, to make repairs thereto or to show the same to a prospective tenant, purchaser, mortgagee or its agents, enter the premises before the termination date of such lease.

The permissible reasons are further restricted in the explanations. Basically, if it's not an emergency, you need the tenant's permission.

As for videotaping, in MA it is legal to videotape in your home. It is legal to record voice openly. It is illegal to secretly record voice without permission. A Nanny-cam that records voice would be illegal unless you post a notice that it it being recorded before the person enters the recording area.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:30 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
........ What is the LL going to do about it?.........
Evict you. Sue you for the damages if there is an emergency and he can't get the door open.

What he is most likely to do, and this is a legal response, is to call out a locksmith, have the door opened and the locks replaced. The tenant gets billed for this call and a locksmith doing a house call is expensive. The tenant also gets billed for the cost of the locks that were removed, unless the tenant can produce them undamaged.

Then the landlord has to give a copy of the new key to the tenant, but he doesn't have to hang out waiting for the tenant to come home. He leaves a written notice about where the new keys can be picked up and the tenant has to go and get them.

If it happens again, he will evict the tenant for conspicuous waste, again a legal grounds for eviction.

OP, give the landlord a written notice that you are requesting that he give you a 24 hour notice before entering. If your state law requires a notice, then enclose a copy of that law.

Seriously? Your landlord stole a coffee cup? Why would anyone steal a coffee cup?

Old 03-08-2015, 08:40 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGskwpkneLE

Old 03-08-2015, 12:16 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I lived in a complex where the property manager would enter the female tenants units when they were at work. He would target the ones with a regular work schedule, watch them leave for work, then wait until he was sure they weren't coming back, and go in. He was witnessed by several other tenants, but the property owner wouldn't get rid of him.

Since I didn't have regular working hours, he couldn't come in my place, so he would unlock the door in the middle of the night, thinking that I wouldn't notice it.

So all of us just changed our locks, and that was the end of that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting